Subwoofer Install with Bose Amp and NAV - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Subwoofer Install with Bose Amp and NAV in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I used a stinger RCA converter that I had laying around instead of the MTX re-q.... Everything works fine except ...
    dugunz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: Subwoofer Install with Bose Amp and NAV

I used a stinger RCA converter that I had laying around instead of the MTX re-q.... Everything works fine except I cant figure out what to hook the remote wire up to. I dont have a volt tester, and I've read this post like 10 times. Can someone please tell me what color wire to tap in to and where it is? Is it even possible without the re-q?... (Its a non-nav btw)

kingtj is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS4 Coupe, Premium edition

I'm looking into adding a sub to my 2011 Coupe myself, so I've been browsing this thread and others like it... There really is very little out there about doing stereo upgrades to our CTS's! (I'm still trying to find out, definitively, if anyone has successfully swapped out the factory Bose speakers in the doors and rear panels on the "5.1 Cabin Surround" 10-speaker system with suitable aftermarket replacements and achieved greatly improved sound? It seems like the Mazda guys with Miatas and such are doing a lot of this with their factory Bose systems, but their upgrades don't necessarily apply to our particular system. I've heard our Bose system uses 2 ohm impedance speakers, making substitution more difficult than normal -- but certainly not impossible. But it's a lot of time, effort and money to spend if it doesn't work out, due to the factory head unit EQing everything specifically for the original speakers.)

I hadn't seen the Infinity BassLink before, and I like how it mounts along the side of the trunk to conserve space. But at least one reviewer complained he went through 2 of them in a year or so. (One wouldn't auto shut-off properly, and the second developed a popping sound.) It makes me wonder how good a quality the integrated amplifier is? My previous experience with bass subs tells me you don't *really* need a great amp, from the standpoint of ultra low signal to noise ratios. With a sub, you're not going to hear high frequency hiss anyway.... But you DO want a rugged amp that handles high temperatures well. It gets hot in a car trunk on a summer day, after all. And obviously, it needs to output sufficient RMS wattage for the speaker you're attaching to it.

I'm kind of surprised I can't find a custom "form fitted" sub box for our cars anywhere. Doesn't look like Q-Forms or JL Audio makes an enclosure for us?

Quote Originally Posted by HansK View Post
    I know this is an old thread but it's the best one I have been able to find about stereo upgrades in the CTS. I was trying to avoid the extra loss of room from having a larger box and was considering the BassLink:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-lgm4Fwm...-BassLink.html

Has anyone put a similar upgrade in? I have heard good things about the basslink but I don't know if it's worth using this setup over the generic 10" box + ReQ.

HansK is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS4 Blue Chip

Quote Originally Posted by kingtj View Post
    I'm kind of surprised I can't find a custom "form fitted" sub box for our cars anywhere. Doesn't look like Q-Forms or JL Audio makes an enclosure for us?
    I was looking into using a box also and had gotten to the point of making my own since I couldn't find a good custom one. A friend recommended the basslink so I considered that to be a better option since it would save you on having to use the ReQ also. I wanted to check and see if anyone else had done this before I took the time to take everything apart though.

I don't know that the speakers necessarily NEED to be replaced. I feel that the major problem with the 10 speaker system is the low quality sub and the deck rattle it creates. Judging by how pleased most people seem to be with just a sub upgrade, I would say to try that before dropping the money on all the speakers.

drchris is offline Cadillac Owners Member

sound off audio Soundoffaudio.com has a custom made enclosure. It is beautiful. He makes it with a CNC and it can be made with 2 10's or 2 12's. Price shipped to your door is $170.00 .. it is for the second gen (2008 +). It isn't listed on their website but it is in their you tube videos. The owner, matt, is a great guy to talk to as well.

Chris

sfv41901 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS
    That's good to know. Is that price shipped?

Captain McFunk is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 DW CTS-V Sedan

I've seen several people ask with no answer in this thread, is there any remote power wire without using the ReQ? Is there any way to do it at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain McFunk
    I've seen several people ask with no answer in this thread, is there any remote power wire without using the ReQ? Is there any way to do it at all?
    I'm sure there is......what else would turn on the OEM amp. It's just a matter of finding the wire.

Quote Originally Posted by sfv41901 View Post
    I'm sure there is......what else would turn on the OEM amp. It's just a matter of finding the wire.
    There is not, the power wire to the factory amp is a constant power, even when the car is off. Trust me, tried it.

Really.....wow, so there is a drain on the batt when the car is off?

Not necessarily... The factory amp might have logic in it so it powers down into sort of a "sleep" state when no audio signal is detected going through it for a certain amount of time?

Really.....wow, so there is a drain on the batt when the car is off?

Quote Originally Posted by kingtj
    Not necessarily... The factory amp might have logic in it so it powers down into sort of a "sleep" state when no audio signal is detected going through it for a certain amount of time?
    Good call......then maybe this answers the all important question.......no remote amp turn-on.....there for the ReQis needed.

Good call......then maybe this answers the all important question.......no remote amp turn-on.....there for the ReQis needed.
    Yup, the problem with that is that the Re-Q and Re-Q5 is no longer manufactured. As another option, i've found that you can tie into the power of the rear view mirror. A long run ,for sure, but i'm told it will work. We'll see.

I'm sure there has to be something in the rear fuse block.

That's odd. If I go to www.reqsound.com, they still have a whole website up advertising both products. (I do see that it also indicated Crutchfeld has both in stock though, but Crutchfeld's own site claims they don't.)

If it's really out of production, it must be a recent thing? I suspect there are some to be found in inventory at various car audio shops still.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain McFunk View Post
    Yup, the problem with that is that the Re-Q and Re-Q5 is no longer manufactured. As another option, i've found that you can tie into the power of the rear view mirror. A long run ,for sure, but i'm told it will work. We'll see.

dugunz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

As far as the remote wire goes, I wound up using a low voltage trigger and its been working fine for a few months now just fine. Its a small unit that uses your speaker wire signal and amplifies it to a 12 volt signal to connect to the amp remote wire port. It has 4 wires. One goes to the positive terminal of the battery, the second goes to the negative of the battery. The third gets tapped in to a positive speaker wire (I used the sub) and the fourth gets run to the remote port of the amp. When it senses a small current in the speaker wire it triggers a switch some how which releases 12 volt power to the amp. It only cost like $10-$15 shipped. Its easy to install and its smaller then a pack of cigerettes so its fairly easy to hide.... Just FYI though, It does take 2-5min for the amp to turn off though after power is cut from the speakers. Even when I just open my trunk it turns on but if i leave the trunk open for 2-5min i'll see it eventually turn off. No dead batteries, just bass now and piece of mind that it works.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.