Subwoofer Install with Bose Amp and NAV - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Subwoofer Install with Bose Amp and NAV in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Originally Posted by Pyromaniac Just a tip, if you're looking for a little bit more bass, remove the stock sub ...
    Staizy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: Subwoofer Install with Bose Amp and NAV

Quote Originally Posted by Pyromaniac View Post
    Just a tip, if you're looking for a little bit more bass, remove the stock sub because it will give the bass an opening into the cabin.
    Everyone should do this who have/are going to install a sub in the trunk. The leather back seats muffle the sound of the bass so having a port where the bass can travel cleanly through makes a big difference in the sound quality.

ngiardina is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS DI Fully Loaded, Magnaflow, CAI, F1 Tint, Rosen TVs

Quote Originally Posted by Staizy View Post
    Everyone should do this who have/are going to install a sub in the trunk. The leather back seats muffle the sound of the bass so having a port where the bass can travel cleanly through makes a big difference in the sound quality.
    i agree that the big hole theory is good, but i disagree with cleanly passing through. enclosure ports aqe precisely tuned to avoid whistling noises and port turbulence. simply hacking out a 10 inch diameter hole and calling it a port doesnt compute in my book. although, cadillac qut the sub in the rear deck and not the trunk for a reason...

jsarich is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS

So I have a couple questions about this install. How bad does the system sound if you just fed the SUB output wires from the bose directly into the RCA inputs of an aftermarket amp? Is it leaps and bounds different than when using the Re-Q?

Why not splice into the full range input wires to the bose amp from the factory head unit (before the bose amp can equalize the sound)? Is that not possible? Does anyone have the input wire colors identified?

Vlakaz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTSv & 2006 STSv + 1991 SHO

Quote Originally Posted by ibiza1010 View Post
    I have an 08 CTS with the Bose Amp and Navigation System and wanted to add an aftermarket subwoofer and amplifier to replace the stock subwoofer in the rear decklid.

I used a JL Audio A1400 amplifier (340 watts @ 4ohm) connected to a JL Audio Powerwedge CS112RG-W3v3 subwoofer enclosure. The enclosure fits nicely under the rear decklid in the trunk and doesn't take up too much room. The enclosure has 1 - 12 inch W3v3 subwoofer rated up to 500 watts. I also utilized an MTX Re-Q module to provide a remote turn on sense for the amplifier and also to supplement the loss of bass in the stock Bose equalization scheme.

The stock Bose amplifier is located in the driver's side rear trunk area in the opposite side of the stock battery location. To get to the amplifier you unscrew the 2 black plastic cargo retainers and pry out the two black plastic trim "plugs" with a flathead screwdriver on the driver's side trunk carpet area. Then pry the two black plastic trim pieces surrounding the metal cargo hooks in the lower black plastic piece below the trunk opening. Once the two trim pieces are removed surrounding the metal cargo hooks you can pull directly up on the black plastic piece covering the trunk latch and it will easily remove. Now, you can fold the trunk carpeting covering the amplifier forward towards the rear seats. The Bose amp has 4 plugs (see attached picture) and the plug nearest the rear of the car is the one you need to splice into for the Sub output signal. The line-level signals from the Bose amp are not amplified (there is a separate amp for the subwoofer in the cargo shelf area), the Subwoofer + signal is the Blue with White stripe wire. The Subwoofer - signal is the Light Green with Black stripe wire.

The MTX Re-Q supplies the amplifier turn-on wire (typically blue) by monitoring the signal coming off the front full range speaker signals. Left Front full range door + signal is Tan, - is Gray. Right Front full range door + signal is Light Green, - is Dark Green. 12V Constant and Ground are wired directly to the battery in the trunk.

The stock subwoofer is disconnected but still in the stock location.

The additional bass provided by the aftermarket subwoofer and amp is powerful but not overpowering. I found the addition to be worthwhile and fairly easy to install. The hardest part was researched the stock wiring codes.

Let me know if you have any questions.
    Great post/pics. Are you running both the factory sub and your sub+amp at the same time? If not, can you do that with your setup?

ibiza1010 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Wagon (Crystal Red w/Recaros)

You could run both although I wouldn't recommend it. I have the stock sub disconnected but physically still in the car. At some point I'm going to remove the stock sub completely and sound deaden the back of the car as it has a few very subtle rattles now.

crystal_red is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS DI AWD FE2 CRYSTAL RED TINTCOAT/LIGHT TITANIUM

Question Re: Subwoofer Install with Bose Amp and NAV

I have an '09 CTS with Bose/Nav and I am going to add the exact same setup as ibiza1010. I have the MTX Re-Q, JL A1400 amp and the JL CS112RG-W3V3 sub. Just to be sure, the sub leads coming off the stock Bose amp are cut and hooked into the Re-Q. This cuts off the signal to the stock subwoofer amplifier and sends it to the new JL amp thru the Re-Q. The full range door speaker leads however are not cut but just spliced into in order to provide the auto turn-on feature to the Re-Q.
    Am I correct? Does this setup effect the sound of the door speakers at all? Also, how did you hook into the battery for power and ground?
    I know I'm being a PITA but I don't want to screw anything up!
    Thanks

Crystal-Red:

Your assumptions are correct. The sub wiring is cut at the Bose amp location and routed through the Re-Q along with splicing into (but not cutting) the front full frequency Left and Right channels. The purpose of splicing the front channels is to feed the "autosense" remote turn-on feature the Re-Q can provide. Splicing into the front channels does not affect the sound quality of the front door speakers at all.

To wire up for 12V + and negative I ran power directly from the battery (since it is nicely located in the trunk). Don't forget to properly fuse the connection within 6 inches of the battery with an appropriate fuse for your amp. To power the Re-Q I piggyback the 12V+ and - from the amp power connections.

Battery--->AMP----->Re-Q

Hope this helps - let me know what you think.

crystal_red is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS DI AWD FE2 CRYSTAL RED TINTCOAT/LIGHT TITANIUM

Thank you! Just one last question; how did you tap into the + battery terminal? What kind of connector did you use? The battery in the trunk has a couple of weird terminals as you already know.

e3343005 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cts 08

hi i have a few questions...splice as in when connecting the re-q do i tap into the wires or just take the connection from right before the plug? also where does the remote in and remote out go? any advice would be great! thanks..

Quote Originally Posted by e3343005 View Post
    hi i have a few questions...splice as in when connecting the re-q do i tap into the wires or just take the connection from right before the plug? also where does the remote in and remote out go? any advice would be great! thanks..
    Splice into the wires (don't use those crappy vampire connectors - solder the connections).

The remote-out of the Re-Q goes to the Remote-In of the amp.

Use a proper battery connection kit with a properly rated fuse within 6 inches of the battery for safety. Any major car audio dealer should be able to assist you if you're still not sure.

007Duc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS

I need to keep this in mind. I plan on doing the same to my CTS. Will definitely remove the factory sub and dynamat the trunk. Does any one have any
    info as to how the rest of the factory speakers are wired. There is a center channel in the dash right?

matmoeb is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 SLS 94k miles as of 9/5/06

Im attempting the same set-up without the re-q at the moment (dont have the patience to wait till next payday)
    Did anybody ever find which color is the remote wire from the bose amp?

also, when u cut the stock sub wires, do you used the connection coming from the amp or the now cut wires hanging loose?

MuenterMan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 DI

This is a great post! The pics have really cleared a few things up for me! I have a question on your add on MTX-ReQ. I have traced the lines from the radio and have found the low level signals from the radio. Wouldnt it be possible to tap into this signal source and solder wire to connect RCA's to the wire.( I understand the positive and negative RCA wiring process to make the wire into an RCA). This should provide the proper signal to give the aftermarket amplifier whet it needs. The turn on could still be the front speakers? I really am thankful for your and anyone else's assistance in this matter as my ears need much more than what is provided by the stock system!

sfv41901 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS

Thx for the write up. Now I think ill pull out the stock sub & replace it with something better.

HansK is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS4 Blue Chip

I know this is an old thread but it's the best one I have been able to find about stereo upgrades in the CTS. I was trying to avoid the extra loss of room from having a larger box and was considering the BassLink:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-lgm4Fwm...-BassLink.html

Has anyone put a similar upgrade in? I have heard good things about the basslink but I don't know if it's worth using this setup over the generic 10" box + ReQ.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.