I Certainly Like The 2008 CTS...But...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, I Certainly Like The 2008 CTS...But... in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Why in the holy name of God would GM omit Bluetooth connectivity in the name of perpetuating a marriage to ...
    CaddyProxy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I Certainly Like The 2008 CTS...But...

Why in the holy name of God would GM omit Bluetooth connectivity in the name of perpetuating a marriage to their OnStar?

For the first time that I can recall, I was ready to pull the trigger on an American made vehicle, after having owned Lexus, Acura, Merceds Benz and Ininiti, but...I just CAN'T!

And, it hurts. I really wanted to buy the 2008 CTS, but aftermarket installation of Bluetooth that doesn't integrate with the car's hub electronics is a showstopper.

This is why Detroit is intercoursed up. This very disturbing lack of Bluetooth on a $45,000 vehicle. Someone...anyone...tell me...why?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MAB
    MAB is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 3.6DI

Re: I Certainly Like The 2008 CTS...But...

The Bluetooth module will be out in December, according to current GM estimates. I believe BT is already in the 08 STS, if I recall correctly. I'd imagine it'll look just like the OnStar phone setup when it arrives (touch screen phone interface with voice commands)

It'll be here...just late. =D In the meantime I bought the 100 minutes for $15 bucks and just use the built-in phone while driving. Works fine.

Nivek is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS Black\Ebony PDQ\FE3

Quote Originally Posted by MAB View Post
    The Bluetooth module will be out in December, according to current GM estimates. I believe BT is already in the 08 STS, if I recall correctly. I'd imagine it'll look just like the OnStar phone setup when it arrives (touch screen phone interface with voice commands)

It'll be here...just late. =D In the meantime I bought the 100 minutes for $15 bucks and just use the built-in phone while driving. Works fine.

What will that module be and where did you come by this info?

jwaters943 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I certainly feel your pain, but as others have said, Bluetooth is coming.

My personal frustration with Cadillac/GM relates to the current lease program for the CTS. I've been quoted $650/month for a loaded CTS with nearly $5k due at signing!!! (12k miles per year, 3 year term).

I could lease a more powerful Infiniti M45 for approx. $500/month! Tell me which one is likely to get my business. I could deal w/ a difference of maybe $50 a month cuz I love the CTS, but no way is it worth $5500 more over the course of the lease. Maybe I'll end up buying one in a few months....we'll see.

MAB
    MAB is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 3.6DI

Quote Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
    What will that module be and where did you come by this info?
    I've read about the Bluetooth availability in a couple of different places, general articles in magazines and in interview transcripts from the official reveal earlier in the year. I was concerned about it (since I love Bluetooth in the car and was upset when I thought it wouldnt be available at all), and paid special attention to when it would be released. I posed the question at a driving event and was simply told "soon".

Again, off the top of my head, I believe GM said December of this year for the CTS and that all Cadillac's and eventually most GM models would have BT - at least as an option if not standard.

Nextone is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS VSport Premium

GM would do itself a big favor by making a clear, official announcment. I have to believe that the lack thereof really means the outcome will be disappointing. What's been posted or unoffically released by GM is a for those that are assuming the best. The third-party, dealer installed (cutting and drilling) option is NOT an option for me.

GM??

The following was posted by a GM editor in the Cadillac's Drivers Log site:

"--Bluetooth is a dealer-installed system, an accessory already in use for other Cadillac models. We will probably be adding this as a factory option sometime in the future, as has been stated here previously."

This doesn't sound good to me.

Cadillac Tony is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Here's the problem with BT: Compatibility. There have been a number of CSI issues due to the BT in the 2005 -up STS not recognizing certain models of phone (for the record, Acura, Infiniti, etc..all have this problem). The BT interface can be perfect at the time of production (8-10 months before the car is manufactured), but new phones come out, cell companies change their firmware, and now you have an angry customer in your Service Aisle because their Bluetooth doesn't work. I have some STS customers whose particular phone works flawlessly, and others who have NEVER been able to get it to work.

From a customer satisfaction standpoint, it's better to omit a feature that will only half-work then to put it in an aggravate a lot of owners.
    Tony Pagano
    Sales Manager
    Plaza Cadillac
    Leesburg, FL
    (352)787-1323

www.cadillactony.com

The views and opinions of this poster are solely his own and do not represent those of Plaza Cadillac

05CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 & 2008 CTS

Seems like someone always has something to bitch about. What in the hell did you guys do before ipods, bluetooth and steering wheel controls. Did you actually move your arm 1 foot from the wheel to the radio or did you have someone do it for you? What about cd's, do you actually pick which one you want to listen too and put it in? Not choosing a car b/c it doesn't have BT is rediculous. Have you ever rolled up your own window before?

mufflerbearing is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Talking Re: I Certainly Like The 2008 CTS...But...

Quote Originally Posted by 05CTS View Post
    Seems like someone always has something to bitch about. What in the hell did you guys do before ipods, bluetooth and steering wheel controls. Did you actually move your arm 1 foot from the wheel to the radio or did you have someone do it for you? What about cd's, do you actually pick which one you want to listen too and put it in? Not choosing a car b/c it doesn't have BT is rediculous. Have you ever rolled up your own window before?
    Good one. I was hoping for a mini-microwave to heat my danish on the way to work but guess I'll just have to tough it out.

Pat

CaddyProxy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

It's not about laziness or being pampered. Seriously, if we want to discuss what is or what isn't necessary to get from point A to point B, we could debate the merits of buying a Kia as a statement of practicality and frugalness, in lieu of the spectacularly conspicuous consumption that accompanies the decision to buy say...a Maybach.

No.

This thread is about GM. It's about buying American. It's about the stratospheric tone-deafness and miscalculation of the Cadillac division. At the price point of a 2008 CTS, you'll find not one automobile manufacturer that doesn't offer a Bluetooth connectivity option.

Imagine the man-hours involved in the design, production and marketing of the new CTS, all in an effort to produce a world-class American made vehicle that can actually compete successfully in the market segment that GM and all of Detroit is losing out on catastrophically and precipitously...and then some wise and noble GM flack decides "...well...we don't have to offer Bluetooth connectivity...we'll just make 'em sign up for OnStar, a never ending revenue stream for us!"

Part of the reason for hands-free Bluetooth mobile phone connectivity is that speaking directly on a mobile-phone handset in a motor vehicle is illegal in many venues across the nation and soon to be illegal in many more.

Another reason: To Be Successful Competitively In The Market Segment.

No car is "perfect", but...you'd think GM would have thought this one through a little more thoroughly.

No Bluetooth is not only a showstopper for me personally because of the inconvenience at the CTS price-point, but it is indicative of a mind-set from GM that doesn't inspire confidence in me overall out of the company. It's a symptom of neglect and arrogance that they must shed in order to regain their stature and profitability as a company... and my business in particular.

RAB
    RAB is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by CaddyProxy View Post
    Why in the holy name of God would GM omit Bluetooth connectivity in the name of perpetuating a marriage to their OnStar?
    For the first time that I can recall, I was ready to pull the trigger on an American made vehicle, after having owned Lexus, Acura, Merceds Benz and Ininiti, but...I just CAN'T!
    And, it hurts. I really wanted to buy the 2008 CTS, but aftermarket installation of Bluetooth that doesn't integrate with the car's hub electronics is a showstopper.
    This is why Detroit is intercoursed up. This very disturbing lack of Bluetooth on a $45,000 vehicle. Someone...anyone...tell me...why?
    I definitely side with CaddyProxy on this one. Why on earth would GM omit Bluetooth connectivity / hub system integration on such an important vehicle (to GM) as the '08 CTS? It makes absolutely no sense to me.
    And to naysayers who say you don't need Bluetooth (or power windows, power door locks, cruise control and the like), I say... "Hey, where have you been? Get with the program!!". There are many benefits in having BT integration on a vehicle, not the least of which is safety.
    I have an '08 CTS on order (being built this week), and I'm not terribly pleased that Bluetooth connectivity will not be on the car. (This represents a 2nd frustration for me, on top of the 'B20' wood trim issue which has delayed my car by 4 weeks or more, on top of my not getting what I had originally ordered).
    The editors at the 'Cadillac Drivers Log' site have unfortunately added insult to injury by being completely ignorant and misleading on the entire issue of BT.
    I received news today from a reliable source at GM that Bluetooth will NOT be available on the new CTS until the 2009 model year... and when it does become available, it will NOT be retro-fittable to 2008 model CTS cars.
    On hearing this new info I have now decided to go for a 2-year lease on my '08 CTS, rather than the 3-year lease previously intended.
    The car business and this segment in particular is extremely competitive now... a lot can happen development-wise and content-wise within a space of 2 years, never mind 3. Out-of-the-box omissions and product screw ups are not well tolerated nowadays, especially at the price point of the CTS and vehicles priced similar to or north of it.
    RB.

Blake is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS, 2003 Escalade

Find another dealer...that sounds like a rip off. In six months you'll be looking at $400/month. I have a 05 STS which I leased when they first came out and with $2K down I pay $551/month (3yr/45K) for a caddy that stickered for 58 grand.

gm_eng is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX & 2010 Corvette Grand Sport Convertible

I hate to say this, but I think we're beating a dead horse. GM luxury vehicle product development wanted to put Bluetooth in the 2008 CTS, but for some reason couldn't get there for 2008. Maybe they were spending so many resources on things like voice recognition, USB and iPod interface, pop-up navigation system, hand-stitched interior, and so forth that it couldn't get done. They didn't leave it out just to support OnStar, because if that were the case, it wouldn't be offered on the STS and they have already said it will be an option in the 2009. I guess those who want a 2008 and can't live without a in-car phone have three choices. Buy minutes through OnStar, use a Bluetooth ear piece, or have the dealer installed system installed. By the way, has anyone had that system installed? Is it as bad a system/installation as everyone thinks it will be? I hate hearing people won't buy a CTS just because it doesn't have Bluetooth, because the rest of the car is spectacular.

Tony407 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None

Quote Originally Posted by jwaters943 View Post
    I certainly feel your pain, but as others have said, Bluetooth is coming.

My personal frustration with Cadillac/GM relates to the current lease program for the CTS. I've been quoted $650/month for a loaded CTS with nearly $5k due at signing!!! (12k miles per year, 3 year term).

I could lease a more powerful Infiniti M45 for approx. $500/month! Tell me which one is likely to get my business. I could deal w/ a difference of maybe $50 a month cuz I love the CTS, but no way is it worth $5500 more over the course of the lease. Maybe I'll end up buying one in a few months....we'll see.
    If you ever want to know more about the M45, PM me. I've owned a 2007 M45 Sport for the last year. And yes, I can't WAIT to trade that thing in on a 2008 CTS.

Tony

Tony407 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None

Quote Originally Posted by CaddyProxy View Post

For what it's worth, I have Bluetooth on my 2007 Infiniti M45 and I hate it. In fact, I used it for a few months to make sure I had it set up right and everything and ended up buying a Bluetooth headset instead. Awful!!!

Tony

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.