I Certainly Like The 2008 CTS...But... - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, I Certainly Like The 2008 CTS...But... in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I have BT in my Toyota and Audi, and both work well. I use it for safety and convenience....
    Ormond is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ex-Allante owner

Re: I Certainly Like The 2008 CTS...But...

I have BT in my Toyota and Audi, and both work well. I use it for safety and convenience.

greyghost04 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '14 CTS 2.0 Luxury AWD, '12 SRX 3.6 AWD

Stopped in a Honda dealership to see the '08 Accord. It's an incredible car for the money. 1 inch bigger than Accura RL. You get into the car and the bluetooth finds your phone. Let's say your in a strange town. You press the voice button and say 'Italian restaurants'. The GPS screen will highlight the POI's onscreen. You touch one and it will pop up a Zagat's review of the place (if one exists). You touch it again and it will dial the place for you to make a reservation! All this for $30,000. Made in America. So why can't Cadillac do this for $45,000?

jwaters943 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Tony,

Can you tell me what you don't like about your M45? I'm not trying to derail this thread, but since I don't have 20 posts I can't PM you.

FWIW, if I don't get a CTS4 I am planning on getting an M45x. Infiniti has traditionally offered very good lease deals on the M, making it quite MUCH cheaper than the CTS for those who lease (approx. $125-175 less per month), in spite of actually costing $5-8k more.

jasaero is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 BLK Cadillac CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by gm_eng View Post
    I hate to say this, but I think we're beating a dead horse. GM luxury vehicle product development wanted to put Bluetooth in the 2008 CTS, but for some reason couldn't get there for 2008. Maybe they were spending so many resources on things like voice recognition, USB and iPod interface, pop-up navigation system, hand-stitched interior, and so forth that it couldn't get done. They didn't leave it out just to support OnStar, because if that were the case, it wouldn't be offered on the STS and they have already said it will be an option in the 2009. I guess those who want a 2008 and can't live without a in-car phone have three choices. Buy minutes through OnStar, use a Bluetooth ear piece, or have the dealer installed system installed. By the way, has anyone had that system installed? Is it as bad a system/installation as everyone thinks it will be? I hate hearing people won't buy a CTS just because it doesn't have Bluetooth, because the rest of the car is spectacular.

This isn't what happened. I am one of GM and the CTS's biggest fans. I own a 2004 CTS-V. BUT, I am near positive that GM is just being greedy and such when it comes to BT. They are doing the same thing with navigation options in less expensive cars because of the OnStar money making machine. They purposely make sure nav and BT options are NOT available on any vehicle they figure it won't loose them TOO many sales. The Saturn Aura doesn't have Nav or Bluetooth and I am pretty sure the Opel version has both option. The same is true for some Saabs and bluetooth. You can actually order a BT module that gets imported to the US on the grey market for some Saabs that will enable BT in the Saab even though the dealer isn't allowed to do this as an option. GM is just being stupid on these particular features that marginalize the more expensive OnStar packages. This is quite obivious and one of the few aspects of GM that still pisses me off!! OnStar is cool and actually useful, but they need to only sell the packages of OnStar that can't be replicated with a feature in the phone or atleast only expect to sell those packages to people more interested in the monthly payment and interface for such things that OnStar provides rather than getting Nav or BT options, but ACTUALLY OFFER THE OPTIONS ON ALL THEIR CARS!! To me, even the Aveo's should come with BT and Nav options for the right price and maybe a BT and Nav system that are a good bit more simplistic than what might come in like an Aura or CTS. It is bean countering marketer sorts still having too much control at GM that causes things like this. Things like this would already be fixed if the guy from Procter Gamble hadn't run GM for so many years. He hosed up so many corners of that company it may never all be run as a proper auto manufacturer should be, but it is already very close to getting rid of all those things that were messed up. There are just a few little things like this.

Tony407 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None

Quote Originally Posted by jwaters943 View Post
    Tony,

Can you tell me what you don't like about your M45? I'm not trying to derail this thread, but since I don't have 20 posts I can't PM you.

FWIW, if I don't get a CTS4 I am planning on getting an M45x. Infiniti has traditionally offered very good lease deals on the M, making it quite MUCH cheaper than the CTS for those who lease (approx. $125-175 less per month), in spite of actually costing $5-8k more.
    I just PMed you.

Tony

Cadillac Tony is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by greyghost04 View Post
    Stopped in a Honda dealership to see the '08 Accord. It's an incredible car for the money. 1 inch bigger than Accura RL. You get into the car and the bluetooth finds your phone. Let's say your in a strange town. You press the voice button and say 'Italian restaurants'. The GPS screen will highlight the POI's onscreen. You touch one and it will pop up a Zagat's review of the place (if one exists). You touch it again and it will dial the place for you to make a reservation! All this for $30,000. Made in America. So why can't Cadillac do this for $45,000?

The Navigation in the 2008 CTS has the exact same functionality (minus the Zagat reviews ).
    Tony Pagano
    Sales Manager
    Plaza Cadillac
    Leesburg, FL
    (352)787-1323

www.cadillactony.com

The views and opinions of this poster are solely his own and do not represent those of Plaza Cadillac

greyghost04 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '14 CTS 2.0 Luxury AWD, '12 SRX 3.6 AWD

Tony, With your credentials, you are the person to ask. Do you mean the Nav will connect thru blutooth to my cellphone? Will I be able to touch a POI and a phone number will come up and dial, if I ask it to? Is the voice command set up to integrate with the Nav?
    Thanks

05CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 & 2008 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by CaddyProxy View Post
    It's not about laziness or being pampered. Seriously, if we want to discuss what is or what isn't necessary to get from point A to point B, we could debate the merits of buying a Kia as a statement of practicality and frugalness, in lieu of the spectacularly conspicuous consumption that accompanies the decision to buy say...a Maybach.

No.

This thread is about GM. It's about buying American. It's about the stratospheric tone-deafness and miscalculation of the Cadillac division. At the price point of a 2008 CTS, you'll find not one automobile manufacturer that doesn't offer a Bluetooth connectivity option.

Imagine the man-hours involved in the design, production and marketing of the new CTS, all in an effort to produce a world-class American made vehicle that can actually compete successfully in the market segment that GM and all of Detroit is losing out on catastrophically and precipitously...and then some wise and noble GM flack decides "...well...we don't have to offer Bluetooth connectivity...we'll just make 'em sign up for OnStar, a never ending revenue stream for us!"

Part of the reason for hands-free Bluetooth mobile phone connectivity is that speaking directly on a mobile-phone handset in a motor vehicle is illegal in many venues across the nation and soon to be illegal in many more.

Another reason: To Be Successful Competitively In The Market Segment.

No car is "perfect", but...you'd think GM would have thought this one through a little more thoroughly.

No Bluetooth is not only a showstopper for me personally because of the inconvenience at the CTS price-point, but it is indicative of a mind-set from GM that doesn't inspire confidence in me overall out of the company. It's a symptom of neglect and arrogance that they must shed in order to regain their stature and profitability as a company... and my business in particular.

Well maybe you should read Cadillac Tony's post 1 more time to get your explaination. To me your a typical BMW owner. Something to always whine about and bash American auto manufactures companies. If your worried about BT sooo much, stick on of those ear pieces in your ear and call it a day. That way no matter where you are you can talk on your BT. In the car or not. When they do come out with it and people have a problem with it, you know how the song and dance goes. GM can't get anything right can they.

If you want to miss out on one of the best sport sedans made b/c of BT be my guest. BTW, GM's stock was up 7% yesterday and up another 3%. Not bad for a company that doesn't offer BT and being so arragant.

malatu is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS 3.6 AWD

05CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 & 2008 CTS

i'm duckin real low.

Cadillac Tony is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by greyghost04 View Post
    Tony, With your credentials, you are the person to ask. Do you mean the Nav will connect thru blutooth to my cellphone? Will I be able to touch a POI and a phone number will come up and dial, if I ask it to? Is the voice command set up to integrate with the Nav?
    Thanks
    No, Bluetooth is not available on the 2008 CTS.

That being said, the other features you mentioned are the same, only better. On the main navigation screen, you can press the POI button and select POIs to be displayed on the map (such as italian restaurants), or use voice command to say "Display Italian Restaurants". If you touch the POI icon on the screen, a new screen will come up showing the name, address and phone, as well as a "Call" button that allows you to call the business through your OnStar Personal Calling. OnStar PC will work if you're in an area with poor cell reception, if you forgot your phone at home, or if your cell battery is dead.

Other Nav voice commands include changing zoom, selecting radio stations and entering a street address- all without touching the screen. This can also be done while ripping music from your CDs to your 40GB HDD, which I don't believe Honda offers, do they?

Also, don't kid yourself with the "Made in America" that Honda's marketing shovels down your throat. The parts are made in Japan, and the money goes back to Japan eventually, furthering our trade deficit. All of the foreign manufacturers' employees combined pale in comparison to how many American employees and companies are supported by General Motors.
    Tony Pagano
    Sales Manager
    Plaza Cadillac
    Leesburg, FL
    (352)787-1323

www.cadillactony.com

The views and opinions of this poster are solely his own and do not represent those of Plaza Cadillac

RAB
    RAB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by CaddyProxy View Post
    It's not about laziness or being pampered. Seriously, if we want to discuss what is or what isn't necessary to get from point A to point B, we could debate the merits of buying a Kia as a statement of practicality and frugalness, in lieu of the spectacularly conspicuous consumption that accompanies the decision to buy say...a Maybach.
    No.
    This thread is about GM. It's about buying American. It's about the stratospheric tone-deafness and miscalculation of the Cadillac division. At the price point of a 2008 CTS, you'll find not one automobile manufacturer that doesn't offer a Bluetooth connectivity option.
    Imagine the man-hours involved in the design, production and marketing of the new CTS, all in an effort to produce a world-class American made vehicle that can actually compete successfully in the market segment that GM and all of Detroit is losing out on catastrophically and precipitously...and then some wise and noble GM flack decides "...well...we don't have to offer Bluetooth connectivity...we'll just make 'em sign up for OnStar, a never ending revenue stream for us!"
    Part of the reason for hands-free Bluetooth mobile phone connectivity is that speaking directly on a mobile-phone handset in a motor vehicle is illegal in many venues across the nation and soon to be illegal in many more.
    Another reason: To Be Successful Competitively In The Market Segment.
    No car is "perfect", but...you'd think GM would have thought this one through a little more thoroughly.
    No Bluetooth is not only a showstopper for me personally because of the inconvenience at the CTS price-point, but it is indicative of a mind-set from GM that doesn't inspire confidence in me overall out of the company. It's a symptom of neglect and arrogance that they must shed in order to regain their stature and profitability as a company... and my business in particular.
    CaddyProxy, excellent post.
    I agree, Cadillac/GM should have thought this one through a little more thoroughly. The same can be said for the memory seat / system memory settings, an issue that is being discussed in another thread. GM is apparently working on new software to address some of the memory issues....

Out of the box, at the CTS price point (and within its segment of the market), there should be no issues with the memory system, or glaring omissions such as BT. People started complaining about the lack of BT on this car long before vehicle launch... and now we're hearing that GM has finally decided that BT will be available (standard?) on the 2009 model CTS, and very likely non-retrofittable to '08 model cars. I wish GM would have come clean on this one right from the beginning.
    These particular issues, which have certainly gained prominence of late, come at a time where the production of my '08 CTS has now been delayed for a 3rd time. I learned about the latest delay yesterday. With this latest production hiccup affecting my order it is unlikely I will see my car before the second week of October. Many forum members will recall that I placed my order for the CTS on June 6th.

About now the 2008 Infiniti G35 (sedan) will be coming out. For '08 the sport package will be available on the AWD (x) version. The car's got tons of power, the memory system works great, and the vehicle comes with full-on Bluetooth (not to mention Intelligent Cruise Control).
    Knowing all this make a person contemplate his options, particularly as I face another 4 weeks of waiting for a CTS ordered 14 plus weeks ago.
    Is the '08 CTS worth this sort of wait and frustration? Don't know really. Zymurgy, gm_eng, JB, MAB - What say you? I will make my decision by Sept. 20th, the day I get home from this trip I'm on.

RB.

rchern is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 Crystal Red CTS Coupe with Ebony Interior

If you want to go for a drive buy a car, if you want to make a phone call buy a phonebooth.

RAB
    RAB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by rchern View Post
    If you want to go for a drive buy a car, if you want to make a phone call buy a phonebooth.

Pucks is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac CTS

Quote Originally Posted by RAB View Post
    These particular issues, which have certainly gained prominence of late, come at a time where the production of my '08 CTS has now been delayed for a 3rd time. I learned about the latest delay yesterday. With this latest production hiccup affecting my order it is unlikely I will see my car before the second week of October. Many forum members will recall that I placed my order for the CTS on June 6th.
    RB.

Any idea why it was delayed again?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.