CTS dependability v. Japan brands
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, CTS dependability v. Japan brands in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I made the mistake of asking the folks on the G35 Driver and Fresh Alloy sites what they thought of ...
    TimC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Smile CTS dependability v. Japan brands

I made the mistake of asking the folks on the G35 Driver and Fresh Alloy sites what they thought of the CTS in comparison to the G35. I cited to the CTS' 6 speed auto and DI 3.6 liter which the Infiniti does not have. They were not persuaded by this technology.

I received critical responses ranging from GM dependability, resale values to the Caddy being an old person's car. However for the most part the Infiniti drivers like the looks of the CTS. The administrator closed the thread (?)

Have any of you had the prior CTS and can make a predicition as to the new car's dependiability? I have a 04 TL and it is no great shakes when it comes to fit and finish. Many thanks for your responses.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

z06bigbird is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Sedan de Ville, CTS

Re: CTS dependability v. Japan brands

CTSs are great reliable cars. Some have complained about the rear end, but dealers question these guys about hotdogging those cars.

Get the 3.6 for the power.

DavidL is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 92 Allanté, 2013 ATS4

I can't vouch for the CTS, as my '08 is my first one, but my '05 STS was "bullet-proof"; no problems at all in the 3 years I leased it (unlike a good friend's '06 Mercedes C Class--has had a lot of niggling problems with it).

st4422 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Premium Black Ice, 2009 CTS DI Thunder Gray

On my early '03 CTS, I had to replace:

1. Throttle position sensor (actually,the entire throttle body but that's another story)
    2. Rear wheel bearings
    3. Torque converter
    4. Two batteries

All under warranty.

I still love the car and will order an '08.

TimC is offline Cadillac Owners Member

thanks for the reply. Any rattles or broken bits in the STS? An interesting note when I went tooling around at the dealer on Sunday and met a man who said the same thing about his STS, and how he drove the sh?t out of his. He also said the G35 was too feminine for his taste.

MARKVIII is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

i own a V8 STS and i can tell you its rock solid as far as ride and build quality. nothing major in the 2 plus yrs i have owned it. minor cosmetic things that were fixed under warrenty.

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

My '06 AWD STS has never been back to a dealer or shop of any kind since I drove it out the door when I bought it. it's still got the same oil in it and the same air in the tires. It's as trouble free as a vehicle could be. Some time before winter hits I'll change the oil and put some snow tires on it.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

TR808 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS Other: 2008 Infinity G35x

My CTS not a single problem. I use it for daily commute, some work related driving, and annual road trips.

Before that I was driving Hondas, very reliable, but did have a few things break.

Looking forward to getting '08 in January.

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Fresh Alloy is a perfectly decent Nissan forum.

For homosexuals.

barrister89 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by z06bigbird View Post
    CTSs are great reliable cars. Some have complained about the rear end, but dealers question these guys about hotdogging those cars.
    That's funny. I used to have '99 Camaro Z28 and started getting some whine in the rear end. I took it to the shop and they implied that I was racing or hotdogging. I thought, uhh yeah. They fixed it though.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

G35 is a nice car, but the new one is too racy looking for me. I hang out at G35driver.com from time to time. There are some cool people there, but also alot of ricers grown older. Forget Freshalloy. Those guys are almost as full of themselves as the viperforum guys.

For the record, I have been a Nissan guy for 10 years now. And have had my share of problems. It doesnt matter what car you buy. Every mfg makes some lemons. Whether you are the guy that gets one is just crap shoot.

BTW, I like the TL. nice car.

Tony407 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None

I've been a Fresh Alloy member for about a year now. I owned a 2001 Maxima for about 4 years (former Maxima.org member). GREAT car with nearly zero issues. I currently own a 2007 Infiniti M45 Sport. It has been the hugest disappointment in my car-owning career.

I've heard that the new CTS predicted reliability will be about average, compared to other new cars. My Infinti was rated to be above average predicted reliability and above average resale. Not only does it have a ton of bugs and poor design flaws, but the resale has been HORRIBLE!!!

My point? I dunno.. I guess Japanese isn't always synonymous with reliability, and there's always a bad apple in the barrel.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Tony407 View Post
    I've been a Fresh Alloy member for about a year now. I owned a 2001 Maxima for about 4 years (former Maxima.org member). GREAT car with nearly zero issues. I currently own a 2007 Infiniti M45 Sport. It has been the hugest disappointment in my car-owning career.

I've heard that the new CTS predicted reliability will be about average, compared to other new cars. My Infinti was rated to be above average predicted reliability and above average resale. Not only does it have a ton of bugs and poor design flaws, but the resale has been HORRIBLE!!!

My point? I dunno.. I guess Japanese isn't always synonymous with reliability, and there's always a bad apple in the barrel.

Tony
    Still have my 2000 Maxima. I have had issues with it. Nary a drive train problem though. I visit the max.org once a week or so. (same userid there as here) I dont post much there anymore though. Too many kids there with attitudes.

Too bad about the M45. I was slightly interested in that before the CTS-V. Lack of a manual is what kept me from serious interest in it. That and not really sport sedan handling.

Tony407 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    Too bad about the M45. I was slightly interested in that before the CTS-V. Lack of a manual is what kept me from serious interest in it. That and not really sport sedan handling.
    Really? The handling has not been one of my complaints. In fact, the car handles phenomenally. I can toss that sucker through switchbacks all day and it doesn't skip a beat.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Tony407 View Post
    Really? The handling has not been one of my complaints. In fact, the car handles phenomenally. I can toss that sucker through switchbacks all day and it doesn't skip a beat.

Tony
    I never actually driven one. I am just going by the reviews I read. Still, I doubt it handles as well the CTS-V. And great handling or not, doesn't matter. I am not ready for an automatic yet.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.