15K views 113 replies 47 participants last post by  O2B2 
#1 · (Edited)

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
Re: First Drive: 2008 Cadillac CTS - Motor Trend

Hotness, they tested it at Nurburing?!

Though MT has a slight Domestic sway, and an even larger 3-series sway:

The new CTS deserves a creamy BMW six under the hood. Yes, it's that good.
More important, the CTS drives like a proper BMW rival. It's light and agile on its feet, with quick steering response yet impressive straight-line stability at speed, and a StabiliTrak system that's beautifully tuned to be almost unobtrusive in its interventions.
The new CTS isn't quite the Standard of the World. But it's certainly world class. The best damn Cadillac sedan in 50 years? Easily.

#8 ·
Re: First Drive: 2008 Cadillac CTS - Motor Trend

Even our CTSs were tested and tuned at Nurburing.

I like the car I guess. Im not a huge fan of the shape but I do like it. I guess Im just biased towards my CTS. The interior is difnately way nicer than my CTS but for some reason I hate how that steering wheel looks. I do love that big sun roof!!

one other thing- I say, bring it on you DI bitches. My non DI 3.6 CTS can hit a 5.9 zero to 60!! :gun2:

#9 · (Edited)
Road Test - 2008 Cadillac CTS - Car & Driver

Another FYI for the information hungry...
A "Road Test" report on the 2008 Cadillac CTS is now available at CarandDriver.com
Here is the link:
http://www.caranddriver.com/roadtests/13537/2008-cadillac-cts.html
C & D's 'road test' (and MT's 'first drive') articles will appear in the September magazine issues. Similar reports should also be found in the Sept. issues of Road & Track and Automobile.
Cheers
Rab

Attachments

#14 ·

Attachments

#21 ·
Re: First Drive: 2008 Cadillac CTS - Motor Trend and C&D

That was a pretty nice write up and I finally got to see a half decent photo of the pop-up Nav
Is that you driving over 150 mph??? :eek: hahaha! :thumbsup:
You got a head mounted camera? :D

Nice shot! Finally a picture of the pop up nav. That looks very good actually. And it is positioned well to my opinion.

#29 ·

no more auto/ manual tranny hybrid sport mode for this year I guess

didnt the 06-07 have a shifter that let you shift manually if you wanted?

Yes: tip-tronic :thumbsup:

#32 ·

Here's the car I actually see as a competitor to the 3.6 DI AWD CTS

2008 BMW 535xi

AutoWeek | Published 07/25/07, 2:09 pm et
AT A GLANCE:
2008 BMW 535XI
AS-TESTED PRICE: $70,905
DRIVETRAIN: 3.0-liter twin-turbocharged I6; awd, six-speed automatic
OUTPUT: 300 hp @ 5800 rpm, 300 lb-ft @ 1400-5000 rpm
CURB WEIGHT: 3946 lb
FUEL ECONOMY (EPA/AW): 19/22.2 mpg
OPTIONS: Adaptive cruise control ($2,400); night vision ($2,200); premium package, including leather upholstery, integrated garage-door opener, auto-dimming mirrors, ambient light package ($2,100); navigation package ($1,900); sport package, including multicontour front seats, sport steering wheel, shadowline trim ($1,300); head-up display ($1,200); premium maintenance package ($1,200); comfort access system ($1,000); cold-weather package, including heated front seats, headlight washers, heated steering wheel ($750); park distance control ($700); satellite radio ($595); rear sunshades ($575); HD radio ($500); lane-departure warning ($500); fold-down rear seats ($475); iPod and USB adapter ($400); rear side airbags ($385); heated rear seats ($350)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Advertisement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OUR TAKE: We probably shouldn’t have been surprised to find that a 5 Series will run north of $70,000 when you slather on all the bells and whistles, but with a base sticker of $52,375, those extras add up to near a whole new Mini’s worth. Given that perspective, we don’t know how many 5 Series shoppers will opt for the six-cylinder optioned out to the gills—that is, unless even Bimmer buyers are becoming more conscious of fuel prices.

As for its driving characteristics, it is everything you come to expect from BMW. We were particularly interested to find out just how well the twin-turbocharged I6 from the 335i would perform in this heavier application. The old motor was frankly underpowered and required you to really stand on the throttle to get anywhere. With this, power is available instantly and moves the 5 forward swiftly. At no time did we want for the extra jolt of the highline V8. Throttle response is superb, and the steering, naturally, is near perfect.

If there is one thing we’d love to see, it is the paddle-mounted shifters. The drive-by-wire auto-manual in this car sits in the standard shift position, but BMW insists on doing something that’s counterintuitive (and it needn’t be): In most cars, pulling the shifter toward you shifts the tranny down a gear, while pushing it forward shifts up; here it is reversed, and more than once we found ourselves upshifting when we wanted to downshift.

#34 ·

OPTIONS: Adaptive cruise control ($2,400); night vision ($2,200); premium package, including leather upholstery, integrated garage-door opener, auto-dimming mirrors, ambient light package ($2,100); navigation package ($1,900); sport package, including multicontour front seats, sport steering wheel, shadowline trim ($1,300); head-up display ($1,200); premium maintenance package ($1,200); comfort access system ($1,000); cold-weather package, including heated front seats, headlight washers, heated steering wheel ($750); park distance control ($700); satellite radio ($595); rear sunshades ($575); HD radio ($500); lane-departure warning ($500); fold-down rear seats ($475); iPod and USB adapter ($400); rear side airbags ($385); heated rear seats ($350)
OMG! the only thing missing is the $500 Vente sized cup holder option.

I cannot believe how much they charge for some of that. BMW buyers are the ones who are filthy rich AND crazy

#33 ·

Did I mention the cadillac is a lot better looking and almost half the cost of its german rival.

Why does anyone think the CTS will be a success.

Those are the reasons. Compare the "ultimate driving machine" at 70 grand! OUCH!

#37 ·

Did I mention the cadillac is a lot better looking and almost half the cost of its german rival.
Why does anyone think the CTS will be a success.
Those are the reasons. Compare the "ultimate driving machine" at 70 grand! OUCH!
JB, excellent post. The Autoweek article is interesting, to say the least.
Why anyone would want to pay $22,000-$24,000 MORE for a fully optioned BMW 535xi vs. a fully optioned 3.6 DI AWD CTS is beyond me. Of course, for the added cost of the BMW, the buyer gets Bangle-ized (read: WEIRD) styling, and a car (among all the others within BMW's line) that has proven to be unreliable. I suppose that's the price of exclusivity (ahem, yeah right)... or rather, more like the price of compensating BMW for the high cost of the German auto worker.
The new '08 CTS is an extremely sharp car, in every respect. The current 5 Series is decidely unattractive (almost everyone will agree with that, if they're being honest), and this ultimately represents a failure for BMW, both stylistically and commercially. Who knows, maybe the next 5 Series car will be prettier.
Frankly, I can afford either car. I've chosen the '08 CTS for reasons of spot-on contemporary styling and genuine product excitement. The huge dollar difference, on comparison of the 535xi vs. the 3.6 DI AWD CTS, just happens to be a terrific added benefit.
Competition is wonderful, and I'm really enjoying seeing what this company (Cadillac/GM) is capable of when pushed to the brink. For me, I think it's a great time to be involved in all of this, both as an observer/auto enthusiast and a consumer.
Cheers
Rab.

Attachments

#40 ·

The 328 might cost the same as the CTS but the car rivals the 528 in size. The fact that the CTS costs less than the 528 is an added bonus.

Which to chose? The beautiful new AWD CTS with 300hp or the weak ugly 5 AWD series?

Hard to decide for sure.

What would you chose?

#55 ·

The 328 might cost the same as the CTS but the car rivals the 528 in size. The fact that the CTS costs less than the 528 is an added bonus.

Which to chose? The beautiful new AWD CTS with 300hp or the weak ugly 5 AWD series?

Hard to decide for sure.

What would you chose?
That 300 hp 5 series is NOT weak. If its tuned the same as the 335, its actually making about 300 whp. Thats alot more then any non-V CTS, which at best is around 260.

They still aren't cross-shoppable either. My family has been buying BMW's for as long as I can remember, and thats just not a way they would go about it. 99% of the population buy what they can afford, or almost afford.

I am looking at a 335i myself. Along with the new CTS and the new G35. And I'll bet those cars will be pitted against each other in all the magazines.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.