Cadillac Owners Forum banner

2014 Coupe- Competition Car Audio Build...

6K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  Mike-Mike 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey all, Just Thought I'd share My " little Coupe Project.....
Ive had the coupe for 3 months and spent 2 1/2 of them building the next Generation of my Competition Sound Quality Car.

Ive been fortunate that a friend has a killer Tablesaw, Router, and some outstanding specialty bits! :)

Heres a sneak peek I thought I'd share..

Trunk Luxury vehicle Automotive exterior Auto part Vehicle

Trunk Automotive exterior Vehicle Auto part Car

Trunk Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Bumper

Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Trunk Auto part

Technology Electronic device Wood

Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Auto part Subcompact car

Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Trunk Family car

Technology Electronic device Electronics Audio equipment

Subwoofer Loudspeaker Audio equipment Technology Electronic device

Build Continuation to follow! :)

Here is the Planned system configuration...

2 Hertz 1000W 12" Subs
2 Hertz Digital HCP.1 1000 W. Each @ 4Ohm load
2 Hertz Digital HCP 4 150 X 4 Each
Audison Bit One DSP
2 Hybrid Audio Legatia / L1 Tweets
3* Hybrid Audio Legatia / L3 v2 3" Mid-ranges One L3 will be in the Center channel to retain the true 5.1 Dolby Digital & Derived center channel
2 Hybrid Audio Legatia / L6 v2 6" Midbass

All Metra/Tsunami TSpec V12 Wires and Braided interconnects..

The Plan is to Hijack the Audio, Post Bose Amp, and go to the DSP..

More to Come.........

See less See more
#2 ·
looks sweet man! im planning a build for the winter too, not quite as crazy as this though. Looking at the Bit TenD for my processor (if I go for the voce amps, maybe the One if I don't), the audisons seem really nice. Keep us posted, haven't seen many well done builds on these cars

#8 ·
Hey all Just an update on the build.. this obviously is an ongoing project but fortunately, there is light at the end of the tunnel! Im guessing its about 2 weeks from completion... ( wiring takes time cause it has to be detailed and documented heavily.... LOL Here a couple update pics!

Attachments

#9 ·
I'm not sure if the coupes have this issue but I have a 2009 sedan with 2 12" L7s on 2k rms. I cant get the back speaker cover area above the back seats to stop rattling. Anny suggestions? I've tried foam pads sound deadner and even wedged soft material between the window and cover but all temporary fixes.

#11 ·
I'm not a electronics expert by far, but my engineering background allows me to understand a couple of principles. It seems you don't have sufficient air release from your trunk. Maybe a rear false back speaker (speakerless) to vent the percussion. Speaker companies understand this principle. that's why you see holes in their boxes. Your trunk is one big speaker box.

Reactions: tinman
#12 ·
LOL semi Good Observation.. If it were complete at this point, it would be considered" infinite baffle" there are different Box Principles though ( Ported with tuning frequency holes and of course the sealed box) In this case it is going to be a sealed box. Sealed boxes add a tighter harder bass, whereas the Ported box adds a Boomier punch. When you port the box you have to add about 35 to 40% more air volume. Since space is at a premium I went sealed. Also facing the box backwards also makes it Louder or boomier cause the bass wave has to travel and reflect. Since I am going for extreme Sound Quality and not an over load of 20-60 Hz, Bass-wave Sealed with 2KW firing at the seat and through the OEM subwoofer access on the rear deck will give More than enough.. I do however still need to pre-drill the 3/4 In. Plexi rear window for the rear of the box.

#14 ·
LOL! Far from Grasshopper! We all have different skill sets, and we do with it what we can! LOL! but I guess quotes would have been good. but hey, anyone else reading it may have been able to pick up a sniper of knowledge, apply it, and increase theirs! :) Isn't that why we are all here?

#18 ·
I used to compete in IASCA a long time ago. Locally the competitions got to be a lot about boom, even at the IASCA events. I always did SQ and did well, but as the trend was seeming to go more to the boomers, I left the scene. Now I'm a dinosaur on the sidelines and I have no idea if they even do events locally.

#20 ·
IASCA and SQ is alive and well!!! There are a lot of SPL guys, but some of the old timers are still around.. Mike Mineo, Markey Deitrich, Gary Biggs, Mark Eldridge, Scott Buwalda and many others are still here or making comebacks! :) Dunno if you remember Tommy Clak and the JL van but he pokes his head in to say hi every now and then.. IASCA finals is actually this weekend in Memphis (INAC) as it's now called. IASCA North American Championships) Fortunately for me Ill be the first to bring SQ in a CTS Coupe to the Lanes.. ( And doing it with an OEM Head unit! :)

#22 ·
I used to blast me music, esp. when I had a couple when I was younger. Now, I'm hard of hearing in my right ear. I think I did most damage in the winter months when I didn't put the windows down to relieve the bass pressure. Be careful everyone.

Reactions: HurstGN
#24 ·
a few more pics of the Updates..

Doors inner t outer have been Deadened ( The door weighs a ton now! No rattles!
I replaced the OE Bose speakers with Hybrid Legatia 6's but May have to change them to 8's I was amazed to see that the Bose OE's were a 9" driver! thats why we get vibrations! LOL

I removed he 3" midranges in the dash and replaced them with Hybrid Legatia L3 V2 After that removed the grilles from the panels of the dash and drilled it with a 1/64" bit so that the holes that were sealed are now open, creating a 1 1/3" opening for the 1" Legatia L1 Silk Dome tweeters. I then took the actual Panel matched the holes up and drilled a 1 1/4 inch hole for the speaker pass through A lot of detailed time consuming work in this part, but OMG the sound, stage, imaging height and width is mind-blowing... More Pics to come! and in the 2nd Pic yes there is a lot of gatorade and DD Coffee going on here! LOL!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.