Window Tinting
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Appearance Mods Discussion, Window Tinting in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Hello all, I just purchased a 2011 CTS Sedan (picking it up tomorrow, VERY excited) and I have a question. ...
    aWanderer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Sedan

Window Tinting

Hello all,

I just purchased a 2011 CTS Sedan (picking it up tomorrow, VERY excited) and I have a question. First of all, I am not familiar with tinting at all. I was reading here that window tinting involves a "film" being applied to it. Is this the standard? Do the installers remove the glass from the doors to do this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Tbbt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere

Re: Window Tinting

Quote Originally Posted by aWanderer View Post
    Hello all,

I just purchased a 2011 CTS Sedan (picking it up tomorrow, VERY excited) and I have a question. First of all, I am not familiar with tinting at all. I was reading here that window tinting involves a "film" being applied to it. Is this the standard? Do the installers remove the glass from the doors to do this?
    Wanderer, Welcome to the forum!

Yes, it does involve using a 'film' on the inside of your windows. Different states have different laws regarding amount of tinting allowed. Windows do not need to be removed.

Marv

aWanderer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Sedan

Thank you very much. I just didn't want people to say "WHAT.. you put plastic all over your Cadillac windows!! Idiot" - lol

hauler is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Sportwagon 18.2city 28hwy 25hwy AC on

Depending on where in the world you are, it may be illegal to tint front door glass, as it is in IL in the USA.

sandcracker21 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 DI
    Not totally true. IL changed the tint law a little while ago. Now if your backs are less than 35 you can tint the fronts to match. If the backs are darker, no tint up front.

ADK Cruzer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS WAGON

NY you can tint but only 35% (I think ) tint or less (less dark) is leagal for front windows, not sure about back windows

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)

HurstGN is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony

Personally, I would double check the laws to be safe.

I have personal experience with the PA tint laws...got the ticket for it a while back. There is more than one place the tint is mentioned in the PA vehicle code. All but 1 say you need to be able to see through....but that one, it says no tint on front windows (directly to the left, right and in front of the driver) unless with a medical reason. Yes, the cop couldn't cite the one article that mentioned the medical reason. I had the exact article in all my paperwork, but why help the opposition. I then cited EVERY other article where you have to be able to see through. Yes, I even cited the one he wrote on the ticket in my defense. Judge set me aside while she heard every other case. The cop was pissed and left. Then the Judge looked up every article I cited in the vehicle code...that took about 20 minutes. Then the Judge asked to see the car, saw through the window (thank you bright sunny day and special ultra white paper that just happened to be laying on the passenger seat) and ticket dismissed.

Any good tint shop will know the laws and can give you a certificate.
    tinman likes this.

The PA one is a medical reason, certificate has to come from a doctor. The're rough on some things here, tint is one of them.

----------

Oh, anything from the factory is OK though regardless of how dark it is. If it's a piece of opaque black plastic installed from the factory, you're good to go. Yea, lawmakers in PA....sheesh!

I mean a certificate stating it complies with local laws, however strict they may be.
    HurstGN likes this.

Oh, that one, yes, but here its back windows only. The site seems to think we can do front.

RJParks is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4

I would think your professional installer will know your local laws. They have as much to loose as you would.

Cruzn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS Coupe Premium
    I live in GA & it is illegal to tint the front windshield, but let me tell you that my black 2013 CTS Coupe (Premium edition) looks really hot w/ SunTek CPX 18 (about a 15% tint) on the sides & back plus a CPX 45 (about a 45%) on the front windshield. The tint job was done by a highly reputable professional company in Atlanta. I know I'm probably taking a gamble, and if I'm ever told by cops it's too dark then I'd take action then. Until then, it just looks too sexy to mess with. :-)

MD_Coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS4 Coupe Premium 11 MPG COMBINED...No Fix
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruzn
    I live in GA & it is illegal to tint the front windshield, but let me tell you that my black 2013 CTS Coupe (Premium edition) looks really hot w/ SunTek CPX 18 (about a 15% tint) on the sides & back plus a CPX 45 (about a 45%) on the front windshield. The tint job was done by a highly reputable professional company in Atlanta. I know I'm probably taking a gamble, and if I'm ever told by cops it's too dark then I'd take action then. Until then, it just looks too sexy to mess with. :-)
    How is night time driving?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.