2102-13 CTS Coupe Grille - blackout?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Appearance Mods Discussion, 2102-13 CTS Coupe Grille - blackout? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Problem: I like the OEM grille (or at least, I don't hate it enough to swap the bumper out and ...
    holdemhigh is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS Coupe
    Problem: I like the OEM grille (or at least, I don't hate it enough to swap the bumper out and get the V-grille--I have already swapped the hood out for the V-hood). I would like it better in all black (except the emblem of course). The grille that comes with the Touring package is not so different that it justifies buying it separately. Not sure plastidip is the answer (but maybe, if done right). Please do not suggest the grilles from E & G. I think they are all terrible and I cannot get beyond the plastic/metal piece placed behind the emblem on their grilles. Any thoughts, suggestions (excepting those regarding E&G), or pictures of a 2012+ black grille are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

arw1510 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6, 2004 SRX 4.6 AWD, 2012 CTS 3.6 DI AWD
    Search my posts from probably a year ago. I painted my stock 2012 grill all black except for the emblem and chrome.

Re: 2102-13 CTS Coupe Grille - blackout?

Found it. Its a crappy picture. PM me with your email if you're interested in more. It looks much better from further away, especially if you compare it with a stock one. Silly me only took pics after and not before

IMG-20120525-00017.jpg

And also since this picture, I painted the black plastic, square honeycombish parts the gloss black that I painted the gray also

Found this one too

408502_10151201126087015_1081362856_n.jpg

GProdigy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): cts

Re: 2102-13 CTS Coupe Grille - blackout?

Mines painted as well..it holds put real nice but its not a 2012+

"arw1510- just post the picture from far away. Im curious what the new stock grilles look like blacked out.

Holdem- got your pm. But it said you're box was full. Here's my response

The second time came out much better than the first. Safe to say I learned my mistakes.

Took off the bumper, then removed the upper and lower grilles. They are help in with clips and were very easy to get off(too esy). Then masked off the emblem and chrome with some decent masking tape. I made sure all the parts were clean and then for the great surfaces I hit what I could with a little sandpaper. Then probably 12 light coats of spray paint. I used so many coats because it is the front and rocks will eventually chip away. Then pulled off tape while paint was still tacky/wet. Then reassemble.

I used duplicolor automotive enamel that was gloss black, I don't believe I could find one that said match caddy or gm black paint, but it worked well. Since the first time I painted it was with a simple can of rustoleum from Home Depot that was paint and primer, I didn't bother to prime this time.

It is fairly simple to do and for $10 in a rattle can and half a day going back and forth with install and paint, it is well worth it and also not that big of a deal if you have to do again in two years because of the rock chips. Quick YouTube video makes easy work of seeing where the clips and bolts are in order to drop the bumper

Gp-I'll try and tAke one now and see how it looks. If not I'll get some better over on the weekend

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.