Aggressive headlights look - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Appearance Mods Discussion, Aggressive headlights look in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Sorry for my ignorance, but is this a vinyl tint, or a solid black piece of vinyl? I love the ...
    mcneill8328 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe, Premium Pkg
    Sorry for my ignorance, but is this a vinyl tint, or a solid black piece of vinyl? I love the look and would like to do this on my black coupe as well, but want to make sure I get the right kind if vinyl. I was looking on eBay and I saw the vinyl tint, but this looks more solid than that. Could you possibly post a link if you have one?

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

Re: Aggressive headlights look

Quote Originally Posted by C "T" ess View Post
    I have a silver coupe and just ordered the paint. I'll let you know if it works out.
    the vinyl film I got on ebay was way too thick. there was no way to get it to conform to the shape. Can ou give us a link to the material you bought. thanks

GProdigy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): cts

Quote Originally Posted by mcneill8328 View Post
    Sorry for my ignorance, but is this a vinyl tint, or a solid black piece of vinyl? I love the look and would like to do this on my black coupe as well, but want to make sure I get the right kind if vinyl. I was looking on eBay and I saw the vinyl tint, but this looks more solid than that. Could you possibly post a link if you have one?
    Its just a black roll of glossy car Vinyl, not Tint.

Quote Originally Posted by C "T" ess View Post
    the vinyl film I got on ebay was way too thick. there was no way to get it to conform to the shape. Can ou give us a link to the material you bought. thanks
    I tried out the Oracal Black 651 vinyl. Its $12 on ebay for a small roll.

Although mine came out fine in the end, I'm not going to 100% suggest using this roll. It simply was one of the only glossy black car vinyl rolls I could find on ebay. If anyone has other options feel free to post.

The first Time I did it myself I was a complete newbie, however I had new Vlights in the the mail, so I gave it a chance on the current. When I received the new lights, my buddy (whom has experience vinyl wrapping) did it for me with the same exact roll. To Conform he used a heat gun to stretch the material.Furthermore, he applied a light coat of water on the lens to slide the vinyl around. As a result, he did a way better job than me.
    He said there is thinner/"performance" vinyl out there that would have made it easier.

My honest suggestion is:
    If you have a shop near by or friend that knows what they are doing....just do that(A shop should do it dirt cheap)

If not, Good thing is...you can always just take it off and try again without damaging your lights.

I will say, it does make a huge difference for such a small mod, which is the reason I did it again as soon as I got my new lights.
    and give the cars attitude, when parked next to others.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the clarification. It does look great, and agree that it totally changes the look of the front end!

explorenorth is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS 3.6 AWD

That's really helped to turn it into one of the best-looking cars I've seen on this forum yet. Nice work!

gvincent is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 cts-v

Tape will cause cracking on headlights.I did this on another car.it takes about 1 year.

Quote Originally Posted by gvincent View Post
    Tape will cause cracking on headlights.I did this on another car.it takes about 1 year.
    welp that's a bummer to hear...

researched some other car sites. For some ppl, there were small spider cracks after 3 years and some there weren't after 5years. They said it can be based off driving during cool temperatures and the heat of the headlights being trapped....

Quote Originally Posted by D VADER View Post
    Looks real cool! I did this to a 2008 CTS. I'm gonna do it to my 2013 too. Good job!
    Hey DVader how did your 2008's turnout?

Gvinvent, did your tape cover the entire headlight,or just the top of the headlight like in this case? I can see the tape trapping heat, but if its just an eyelid, I wouldn't think it would cause the same problem.

D VADER is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS Sport Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by GProdigy View Post

Hey DVader how did your 2008's turnout?
    Eyelids worked fine with the vinyl material. No cracking. My CTS also had a louvered hood

Quote Originally Posted by D VADER View Post
    Eyelids worked fine with the vinyl material. No cracking. My CTS also had a louvered hood
    thanks! great to hear.

and yea a hood is the next on my list, if i ever get to it.

Gerry1946 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS Coupe

That looks cool. Very creative. Does it just peel off if you decide to take it off? Is the vynal sticky on one side? Will it damage the lens?
    Brints likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry1946 View Post
    That looks cool. Very creative. Does it just peel off if you decide to take it off? Is the vynal sticky on one side? Will it damage the lens?
    It peels straight off if you decide to take it off...I've actually recieved compliments this week about how its the first car with vinyl eyelids they've seen that doesn't look out of place.
    No damage thus far, I doubt there will be(but theres always a slight possiblitiy i geuss)..but we went over some of this stuff above.

here's an older picture next to it's brother(RARRI)

Do you (or anyone) have any tips for cutting the vinyl like you did? I have the black vinyl at home, and have been trying to make a template out of paper, but it's not going so good. Haha! Just curious if you could share your technique to make sure it looks identical on both headlights.

garrisonporquez is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS

Very nice. Ima try it with dip and see how it goes

D VADER is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS Sport Wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by mcneill8328 View Post
    Do you (or anyone) have any tips for cutting the vinyl like you did? I have the black vinyl at home, and have been trying to make a template out of paper, but it's not going so good. Haha! Just curious if you could share your technique to make sure it looks identical on both headlights.
    Use exacto knife to cut the material
    GProdigy likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.