Door projectors - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Appearance Mods Discussion, Door projectors in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Is there a good link to how to install these for our car? I received mine, however there are no ...
    GProdigy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): cts

Re: Door projectors

Is there a good link to how to install these for our car?

I received mine, however there are no instructions.

blunted is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '94 Eldorado , '12 CTS Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by C "T" ess View Post
    Think about it for a second. If you open your door during the day; on a car without the projectors, can you see the door courtesy lights come on? The key is that for you to be able to see the projection, the surrounding light has to be darker than the projected image.
    LOL... yes your absolutely correct and the question did seem a bit retarded. However, I've seen some youtube videos of these and the image is still projected.. lightly.. with some ambient light.

Cuest is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '12 CTS Coupe Performance

None of these projectors will be visible in broad daylight.

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

True, when my car is in the garage; even during the day, the ambient light is muted just enough that I can see an image.

pacman2011 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Black 2008 CTS Premium

Finally got around to doing it!

The key (for me anyways) was to make it as seamless as possible, without doing a "hole" lot of drilling into my doors. I elected to drill into the pre-existing light covers instead, which gives me all the electrical hookups i need too, and removes them from the equation as i wasn't sure if the extra light would cause the projected display to be harder to see. There is a chunk of door-removal and puddle light-bulb removal that i won't go into here. If you are taking a mod on like this, you should probably be comfortable doing that on your own (or find another guide as i did).
    Another good thing to note is that the projectors that i bought didn't fit quite right into the plastic shield. This is fixed by only using ONE of the TWO screws they give you attached to the divice. Fit like a glove with the other one just not in use.

0) I used the included hole saw to drill through the plastic shield for the door light, after removing the bulb.

1) I soldered the wiring, really easy to do if you have the tools. Helpful hint if you don't know your electric 101 - BLACK TO BLACK - then match the other colour (should work for 90% of all 2 wire systems....ground to ground after all).

2) Assemble the damn thing (the top of the projector comes off if you forgot to thread it through b4 your soldering job. Saved me some serious hassle.

3) Finished product:

(keep in mind that this is a poor quality picture on really rough concrete...i'll take a higher resolution picture if even one person would like to see it)
    roman8915 and Corvettekid82 like this.

Tbbt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere

Pacman,

Great job! Thanks for the info and pix.

Marv

jeffc83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 DI Premium
    Thanks for the write up pacman2011! I may just have to swap out my LEDs with these

I did the same thing but with the gen4 version which does not use the set screw. I like that I can switch back to stock just by replace the light housing only..

dekes1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

Another example. I did the wiring nearly identical to pacman2011, but did not drill out the existing lights (created a new hole)

photo (1).JPG
    Gomaz likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by C "T" ess
    I did the same thing but with the gen4 version which does not use the set screw. I like that I can switch back to stock just by replace the light housing only..
    I'll have to look for these...so it was an easier install then?

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc83 View Post
    I'll have to look for these...so it was an easier install then?
    I would think the degree of difficulty with either one is about the same since you can attach it to the light housing while is out of the car. The one advantage I saw was the gen4 was easier to tighten since projector housing was threaded and the retainer nut simply screwed on. I used a touch of thread lock to keep them tight.

Thanks for the info!

Corvettekid82 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS Coupe Blue Diamond Tricoat

Great find!

I used the 4th gen projectors as well and they worked great. I took the approach of mounting them to the existing lenses as I couldn’t bring myself to drill into the door of the new (to us) vehicle. Hardest part of the entire install was wiring it up and that was pretty easy. I used the factory harness for the entrance light and removed the wire retainer, soldered on the new wires to the existing ones and replaced the retainer.

The biggest problem I've had was on Father's Day when I visited my daughter; she was unimpressed when she opened her door. I don't know how I could have raised such a rotten kid. (just kidding of course)

GProdigy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): cts

We followed Pacman's instructions and here's the results...Thanks dude

It still took some work to make sure it was flushed so Im not saying it was a piece of cake. lol..but its def smarter than drilling into the door.

Gomaz and roman8915 like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.