If I go with 20" wheels on my AWD CTS coupe, do they need to be staggered?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Appearance Mods Discussion, If I go with 20" wheels on my AWD CTS coupe, do they need to be staggered? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Hi all, It's my first post on this forum. I have been searching for info on this topic, but I ...
    9192champs is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX w/ AWD, 2013 CTS Coupe w/ AWD

If I go with 20" wheels on my AWD CTS coupe, do they need to be staggered?

Hi all,

It's my first post on this forum. I have been searching for info on this topic, but I can't seem to find any, so here goes...

If I go with 20" custom wheels on my 2013 CTS AWD Coupe, do they need to be staggered sizes (i.e. different widths between the front and rear) like stock? I have been shopping for wheels and tires on CARiD.com, and the wheels that they say fit the car are the same size front and back.

Given that my car is AWD, I am concerned about maintaining the proper revs/mile ratio between front and rear, and I have read that keeping this ratio at 1 to 1 is the easiest way to do this. Using the same size tires on the front and rear obviously accomplishes this, so I was thinking that going with a non-staggered setup might be the way to go for this reason as well.

Has anyone done this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Paul

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

Re: If I go with 20" wheels on my AWD CTS coupe, do they need to be staggered?

I think; for the most part, it is the total diameter of the wheel tire combination that would be the concern. Obviously the same size tire and wheel would result in the same combination of diameter but is the wider rear tire greater in diameter. That's an answer I don't know but should be easily obtainable from a place like tire rack. Just be sure the off-set of the new wheel is as close to factory off-set as possible so that outer bearing wear will not exceed specs. I would also have the car realigned once the new tires and wheels go on.

Cuest is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Performance w/Red & Carbon Interior

No, they do not need to be staggered. I had 20's on my old 08 CTS AWD with zero issues even in snow.

MTL_CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 Cadillac CTS-4 Coupe Raven Black

Yeah he has a coupe though which has a staggered setup stock...

I guess you could use same width wheels front and rear but you would need to play around with the offsets of each so that they both look right in the wheel well. You cannot use the exact same wheels front and rear if that's what you're asking... Well you could but it would probably look awful imo

Char T A is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by MTL_CTS View Post
    Yeah he has a coupe though which has a staggered setup stock...

I guess you could use same width wheels front and rear but you would need to play around with the offsets of each so that they both look right in the wheel well. You cannot use the exact same wheels front and rear if that's what you're asking... Well you could but it would probably look awful imo
    I agree that it would look funny. Unless you went with similar wheel widths but different offsets. NOt sure I have ever seen this but In theory you could use a square tire set up and just stagger the offsets to avoid the tire size issue.

Check out this site www.customoffsets.com we have a couple coupes out there with custom wheels and I am pretty sure they all stagger, mainly cus it looks awesome! Mine is the first black sedan CTS with stagger setup and you can see from my tire size I found a size that is within less than 1% difference in diameter.

Thanks for the replies, guys! I am thinking of going with either 20x8.5 or 20x9 inch wheels all the way around with the same tires but different front and rear wheel offsets. My reasoning for this is that it seems to be rather hard to find affordable tires that will fit a 20" staggered wheel setup on the coupe and also maintain the front/back revs per mile ratio that is necessary with AWD. (See http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...awd-coupe.html)

Has anyone out there used the same size wheels and tires all the way around on a coupe? Anyone have advice on the proper front and rear offsets if I went with 8.5 or 9 inch widths?

Thanks,
    Paul

Did you check custom offsets site? I am surprised it didn't answer this for you... You can see the AWD cars and the tires they run. I know because mine are on there. My tires are less than 1% variance in diameter and I have NO fear of damage w such a close diameter. AND the tires are only like $800 a set!

TrimThis is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 TG CTS Coupe

One question would be do you plan on lowering the car. If not a taller sidewall might look better which is harder to get in a 20. Lowering looks better and the coupe really needs to have the staggered set up IMHO. I haven't seen anyone on here or the V board do this but may be play with tire sizes using 19's front and 20's on the rear. Could work, some Vetts came this way. Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by Char T A View Post
    Did you check custom offsets site? I am surprised it didn't answer this for you... You can see the AWD cars and the tires they run. I know because mine are on there. My tires are less than 1% variance in diameter and I have NO fear of damage w such a close diameter. AND the tires are only like $800 a set!
    Yep, I checked out your site -- very nice, but the tires used on the coupes shown do not seem to maintain the proper revs/mile ratio between front and rear. (Probably because most are RWD, so they do not need to worry about it.) Also, I think all of the 20" rims are Vossens, which I am not interested in because I want chrome wheels, and the widths/offsets of those are hard to find in other brands (believe me, I have looked).

I believe your car is a sedan, right? I am not sure how the sedans compare to the coupes, so I haven't really looked at the info for those. Are they the same? I definitely like your tire combo of 255/35R20 and 295/30R20. I assume that would fit on the coupe OK, but not 100% sure.

One other question for you: The listing for the CTS coupe stock offsets says that the wheels are 18x8 in the front. I thought the fronts were 18x8.5... are you sure they are only 8" wide?

Thanks for the help,
    Paul

----------

Quote Originally Posted by TrimThis View Post
    One question would be do you plan on lowering the car. If not a taller sidewall might look better which is harder to get in a 20. Lowering looks better and the coupe really needs to have the staggered set up IMHO. I haven't seen anyone on here or the V board do this but may be play with tire sizes using 19's front and 20's on the rear. Could work, some Vetts came this way. Good Luck
    Nope, don't plan on lowering. I know what you mean about the Vette wheels (I have a 2008 Vette that has different diameter wheels on the front and back), but I am not sure how that would look on a CTS coupe. I am thinking I would rather stick with wheels of the same diameter front and back on this car. Thanks for the help, though!

- Paul

Quote Originally Posted by 9192champs View Post
    Yep, I checked out your site -- very nice, but the tires used on the coupes shown do not seem to maintain the proper revs/mile ratio between front and rear. (Probably because most are RWD, so they do not need to worry about it.) Also, I think all of the 20" rims are Vossens, which I am not interested in because I want chrome wheels, and the widths/offsets of those are hard to find in other brands (believe me, I have looked).

I believe your car is a sedan, right? I am not sure how the sedans compare to the coupes, so I haven't really looked at the info for those. Are they the same? I definitely like your tire combo of 255/35R20 and 295/30R20. I assume that would fit on the coupe OK, but not 100% sure.

One other question for you: The listing for the CTS coupe stock offsets says that the wheels are 18x8 in the front. I thought the fronts were 18x8.5... are you sure they are only 8" wide?

Thanks for the help,
    Paul

----------

Nope, don't plan on lowering. I know what you mean about the Vette wheels (I have a 2008 Vette that has different diameter wheels on the front and back), but I am not sure how that would look on a CTS coupe. I am thinking I would rather stick with wheels of the same diameter front and back on this car. Thanks for the help, though!

- Paul
    You are right Paul I had the 8.5" correct on the AWD Sedan but on the Staggered RWD I fat fingered an 8.0 vs 8.5". It is corrected and I apologize for the confusion, yours would be 8.5" which is the same on the AWD sedan and coupe with +48 offsets all the way around. My tires should fit your set up because we have the same wheels sizes and offsets for stock set up.

----------

This is what those toyo proxes drove through today!!
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

If your not lowering try to stay with the tallest sidewall you can find. I think if you ended up with 9.5 on the front and a 10 on the back some Nitto Invo's would look nice. My choice to stay close to the same dia. and have some real meat out back with a tall sidewall would be 245/45/20 and 315/35/20's. 28.66/28.62 respectively. The coupes wheel wells will take the 315 easy. Also any 25/30 type tire will have so much of a gap between tire and fender you will wish it was lowered. No AWD springs are out yet. Check out the V-boards to get some more ideas too. I run the Invo's, great looking tire.

Quote Originally Posted by TrimThis
    If your not lowering try to stay with the tallest sidewall you can find. I think if you ended up with 9.5 on the front and a 10 on the back some Nitto Invo's would look nice. My choice to stay close to the same dia. and have some real meat out back with a tall sidewall would be 245/45/20 and 315/35/20's. 28.66/28.62 respectively. The coupes wheel wells will take the 315 easy. Also any 25/30 type tire will have so much of a gap between tire and fender you will wish it was lowered. No AWD springs are out yet. Check out the V-boards to get some more ideas too. I run the Invo's, great looking tire.
    Trimthis- what does 4 Invos in these sizes run?

I think my 255/285 19's were around $1200 with full warranties. So $1500-2000???

Quote Originally Posted by TrimThis View Post
    I think my 255/285 19's were around $1200 with full warranties. So $1500-2000???
    Mine were like $800 for Toyo proxes4, out the door!! 255/295 r20

Those would be a better tire than the Invo as they are all season for the AWD. Discounts free replacement added $180 to my bill. Fat tires seem to attract metal objects, so I think it will be worth the extra $$$.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.