Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Staggered Wheel Fitment & AWD

97K views 167 replies 7 participants last post by  308slegs 
#1 ·
I'm curious about running a staggered wheel setup on my 09 CTS DI AWD. Mainly, does anyone know if it will negatively impact the performance of the AWD system? I really like the look of the staggered setup but not so much so that I want to sacrifice the intended performance of the AWD system. Thanks for any and all input/help.

#98 ·
This is my first Caddi that I have owned and am very happy with it except for maybe the ride. I have alwaysliked the Caddi and it’s great (smooth riding) suspension system and was taken a little back when I purchased my 2012 CTS RWD Coupe at how rough the ride was. Nothing like I had expected from a Caddi in any way, though I am aware that since it is a coupe and somewhat a sports car the ride is to be a little rough. With that said I still love the car and the look. I wld like some input from the members about putting 20’s on my Coupe. I have the stock 19’s on them already and wld like to know:

1. How much more of a rough ride (if any) will it be if I go this route?
2. What are the best size tires to go with to limit the rough ride?
3. What are the best tires to put on these 20inch wheels?
4. Sld I go low profile or not?

Oh yeah, I’m thinking about going with the 20 inch staggered but this is not a must. Whichever gives the more comfortable (smoothness) ride will work for me, you know the ride you get from riding in the XTS :bouncy:. I don’t necessarily like feeling all the bumps in the road if I don’t have to and wld like to minimize the rough ride if possible.

#99 ·
It all depends on the size of the tires. The more low profile, the rougher the ride. If you go with 20's and get tire size with the same sidewall as your 19's then technically you should experience the same ride. However, for most people, when you go up in wheel size, you normally go with lower profile tires to try and maintain the same total diameter. This will result in a more rough ride. If a smooth ride is your main concern, you should consider going down to 18's. My factory 18's were very smooth. For better advice on tire sizes this forum isn't really the place to inquire. I suggest calling Tire Rack.

#101 ·
Ok, I have decided to go with the 20 inch wheel. What I would like is some input on what’s the best tire to go with without breaking the bank per say. I’ve checked with several tire shops and each shop suggests a different tire (Nitto NT555, Pirelli P0sys {I think that’s what he said}, Toyo Proxes) and so on. I need true facts from true owners not just the guy who sells tires and drives a Prius or an Accord. I have the 2012 CTS Premium Coupe RWD with staggered 19inch wheels setup from the factory. What’s the best tire for grip and NO - LOW NOISE and which set up will give me the fattest rear tire without sticking out, rubbing or any problems. I will not be lowering the car at all(but things could always change in the future). I'm ready to buy this weekend, I just need some hard true facts / insight. Let's go members, I'm reaching out for some help and I need you all to come through for me on this. Oh yeah, right now my rear is 19 x 9.5 and the front is 19 x 8.5. Do I need to stay with same diameter(?) when I go up to the 20's?

#102 ·
Is there not anyone out there who can inform a fellow member as to what is the best Brand tire for my 2012 RWD Coupe? I would like to go with 255/35/20 in the Front and either the 285/35/20 or 295/30/20 in the Rear. Any suggestions would really be greatly appreciated. I don’t want to get stuck with the wrong size tire or Brand. That’s a lot of money I can’t afford to waste. This is something I need to get right the first time.

#103 ·
Gregb183,

I have a 2011 RWD coupe with 20x9 and 20x10.5 on my coupe. Your first question, the main one. I am running Nitto Invos on my rims. I love the tire. It provides a lot of grip and I did not notice any road noise difference from my stock 18s. Obviously there is a difference from going to 20" from 18" when it comes to handling and ride but the tires I am very happy with in the wet and dry. That being said my realtor decided to get the same set up with rims on his AWD coupe but he decided to go with Vredestein ULTRAC SESSANTA. He seems to be very happy with his choice but I haven't had the chance to drive it to compare just yet.

Your other question about having your tires stick out as such. Well that will also depend on the rims you go with. If you go with a trusted brand they will make sure your offset is bang on so that the rim is pushed right up to the edge of the body line as mine are. This gives you an amazingly aggressive stance and look. Also great handling. Your tire sizes you have selected are correct as they are what our cars need for a 9 and 10.5 wheel.

Hope that helps

#104 ·
Here is my setup. This offset is perfect for our cars as it sits flushed to the fenders, however after lowering it sits inside the fenders due to negative camber. I am looking to get spacers. My next set of wheels will have a more aggressive offset.

Size: 20 x 9 et35, 20 x 10.5 et27
Tires: Falken FK452 – 245/35 and 275/30

#105 ·
I had my 20's put on yesterday and I hate the Tire size they put on..245 35 20 in the front wayyyy to thin sidewall and 275 30 20 in the rear same thing too thin.. It dropped the whole car a full 1/2 inch and left more wheel well gap YUCK!!!
Im taking the car back to them today to tell them to shove the tires up their A$$es!!

I want them to change it to 275 40 20 in the rear ( Only loses 1/3" of sidewall from OEM on a 10" wide rim . It fills .65" of wheel well space more, raises the car .65", then 245 40 20 in the front Lifts the front .2" fills a 1/4 inch of wheel well more than OEM
After it comes up that .375" average, Im putting the Eibach Pro Kit on to drop the body .8 & .9" this fills the wheel well and still gives me the clearance to park in shopping centers with the concrete bumpers.. Im not destroying the front end of a 45000 car for their irresponsible tire choices.. Obviously they don't do the math!

im Miami I 95 and the roads are crap and I'm not interested in thin tires that lower my car a 1/2 inch before the drop kit goes on. Then Ill have no clearance for Parking bumps at all Picture of the current stance below!
Its Horrid!

#106 · (Edited)
How are you going to put Eibachs on it when they don't have an application for awd? That picture of the car in the front yard is white trashtastic!!!

And a 40 series tire on a 20" rim will guarantee a larger diameter thus throwing off the algorithm from the factory leading to transfer case clutch burn out. You don't put 40 series tires on 20s unless it's an SUV, haha.

255/35/20 x 295/30/20 - If I remember correctly its ~1.7 revolutions per kilometer off factory which is well with in what it's set up to throw flags at. Some of these wheel and tire places have no idea what they are doing when it comes to this vehicle.

This is Deb(Not too hot a name, right?)She runs aaaaaall day and sometimes and night...never a problem with anything suspension related! (Now mpg is another issue. I guess GM is just grooming me to get ready for the fuel consumption on the next V or C7. It's horrendous!)

When I put the winter stocky's up to the summer shoes they're very close in height. The illusion of more wheel well in this case is the lower profile tire. Would I love to put a set of coil overs on her...hell yes, but I guess the trade of is awd which I sure did love this past winter. The 4's are just not tuner cars yet.:nono:.

#107 ·
FTW Im not AWD and therefore there is an Eibach Application.. As for trashtastic, I was at a friend's house helping him replace a set of forged pistons rods cams wifi controlled ECU rings valves and springs in one of his groups members Genesis Coupe.. It wasn't the ultimate place to photgraph, I was just where I was when I was doing the reference photo...

#112 ·
well, I did the same sizes on mine rim wise. As long as the bolt pattern is 5 X 120 it will fit. The offset is still the question.. I believe I did a 32 and 20 offset to get them near flush on my coupe.. tires wise its up to you.. Ive seen 30 35 and 40 series on the car 30's leave you little sidewall which tends to bring on damage to the rim if you even "look" at a curd the wrong way.. 30's and 35's IMHO also cause you to sacrifice ride quality Its a caddy not an import Genesis Accord or Civic.. I went with the 40 series cause it fills the wheel well nicely, (left about 2 1/4 inches of wheel well ( enough to add the Eibach Pro Kit) its its overall height adds 1/8" to the cars stance ( Before lowering it) adds about a half inch to the total diaper of the wheel..( Now on one side of the coin it throws off the speedometer by about 2 1/2-3 MPH but on the Flip side, your odometer clocks up the milage slower Less rotations per mile so you'll add about 30 miles per 1000 traveled for each 1000 the odometer shows.. Thats a win when it comes to warranty time... on a 50K mile warranty that equivocates to 1500 Miles bonus on 30's and 35 it has less wheel well and the opposite when it comes to speed and it racks up milage quicker by 10 per 1000 so you'll lose about 500-700 miles..

Attached below is mine on 30's and 40's you can see the stance difference wheel well gap ( Note in both pics, the car is not dropped yet. Im doing it this afternoon...)

#121 ·
Re: Putting 20" staggered wheels on an AWD coupe...

How so? Running 255/35R20 (+34 F +40 R offset) all around now with no rub. 245/35R20 fronts will work with 285/30R20 rear for sedan and wagon. I want to go aggressive tho with 255/35R20 front and 295/30R20 rear (which will fit a coupe easily) for the wagon, the offsets have to be right to avoid rubbing. Probably settle with the first fitment

OEM for sedan/wagon
235/50R18
Diameter =*27.3"
Width =*9.25"
Wheel =*18"
Sidewall =*4.63"
Circumference =*85.6"
Revs/Mile =*740.4

Vs

#122 ·
Re: Putting 20" staggered wheels on an AWD coupe...

pleeeeeeeeease tell me what is that app?

I need it clearly !

Front wheels are 20" x 8.5", 25mm offset, 5 x 120 bolt pattern. GM part # 22998078

Rear wheels are 20" x 9.5", 39mm offset, 5 x 120 bolt pattern. GM part # 22998079

goodyear 245/40/20 and 275/35/20

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.