AWD and Lowering
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Cougar281
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Appearance Mods Discussion, AWD and Lowering in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; There have been posts that AWD guys are having trouble finding springs for their cars. This might help. Our cars ...
    TrimThis is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 TG CTS Coupe

AWD and Lowering

There have been posts that AWD guys are having trouble finding springs for their cars. This might help. Our cars have part #'s taped to the springs. Get the front and rear codes from the springs and Google Eaton Detroit Spring for their phone number. Tell them how low you want to go and have a set custom made. I have never dealt with them [running Eibachs on my RWD] or know what they might charge, but it looks like these guys could be your only hope at this time. Good Luck

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

bronik90 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe - 3.6l DI AWD
    Quote Originally Posted by TrimThis View Post
    There have been posts that AWD guys are having trouble finding springs for their cars. This might help. Our cars have part #'s taped to the springs. Get the front and rear codes from the springs and Google Eaton Detroit Spring for their phone number. Tell them how low you want to go and have a set custom made. I have never dealt with them [running Eibachs on my RWD] or know what they might charge, but it looks like these guys could be your only hope at this time. Good Luck
    Thanks! I'll definitely give these guys a try sometime this week.

It has been impossible to find AWD coupe springs, so every bit of information is greatly appreciated.

MD_Coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS4 Coupe Premium 11 MPG COMBINED...No Fix

Re: AWD and Lowering

Has anyone tried this yet? I called Eibach and it seems they have scrapped the prototype and do not expect to release any kits for the AWD coupes .

JusJZ is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Couple Manual
    Anyone found a good AWD exhaust? 2011 coupe?

mcneill8328 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe, Premium Pkg
    Quote Originally Posted by JusJZ
    Anyone found a good AWD exhaust? 2011 coupe?
    Why would you ask this question on a thread about lowering springs? There are tons a threads about exhaust systems. The search button is your friend.

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

I would think the suspension geometry on the AWD model presents a different set of problems than on the RWD models. If it were me, I think I would be leery of trying to lower the AWD.

conedoctor is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

Is the suspension even different between the two?

The rear should be the same and the front they added hubs more or less, I am oversimplifying it of course.

Apparently yes, it is. I've been texting with the driveline engineer of the car and he states that there is indeed a difference b/n the front suspension of the AWD and RWD.

Quote Originally Posted by MD_Coupe View Post
    Apparently yes, it is. I've been texting with the driveline engineer of the car and he states that there is indeed a difference b/n the front suspension of the AWD and RWD.
    I am sure there is a difference yes but I don't see why the AWD should play into the lowering issue, know what I mean?

Cougar281 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 Silverado Duramax, 95 Cougar, 2010 CTS4 Premium
    Lower a CTS? Are you TRYING to bottom out on EVERYTHING? That are already super low to begin with...
    D VADER likes this.

Define everything?

Please post pics or links if these stock CTS you speak of that are so low. I know walking to my car in the garage from work every night I wonder to myself if GM had thought about off roading the CTS with how much clearance the car has.

Cougar281 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 Silverado Duramax, 95 Cougar, 2010 CTS4 Premium

The lowest point on my CTS4 is about 2.5" off the ground (the front air dam). I'm actually somewhat concerned that a few speed bumps back in NY where I'm from might actually contact the air dam. It DEFINITELY will hit virtually any curb or concrete stop. Along the side it goes from about 6.5" in the front to 7.5" in the back - not exactly a lifted rock crawler. My Cougar, by comparison, is a tad over 8" front to back. That COULD use about a 1.5" drop.

If by air damn you mean the rubber piece under the front bumper I wouldn't be too worried about contact as it is pliable. If your car is stock height I wouldn't worry about concrete stops either unless you are the type that really like to get up on top of them. The rubber piece is far enough back to where any prudent parker wouldn't hit it and the bumper itself is high enough to where it will clear the top of the stop. Now if you are traversing curbs for some odd reason I have no comment. Coming from the world of sports cars 7.5" of clearance is about enough to categorize it as a baby rock crawler. If you are walking to your car on a flat plane and can see day light on the other side of the vehicle from 20 yards out...it's too damn high!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.