Another Plastidip project - Black on Black on Black - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Appearance Mods Discussion, Another Plastidip project - Black on Black on Black in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Looks cool! Maybe you can do the fog light trim if you ever get in a masking mood, since that ...
    General Croc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS 3.6DI

Re: Another Plastidip project - Black on Black on Black

Looks cool! Maybe you can do the fog light trim if you ever get in a masking mood, since that looks to be the only chrome left.
    Just a thought.

truckinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS 3.6
    Damn that looks GREAT! I've got a black STS and have been thinking bout doing this. And yours is bout as close to what mine would look like as you can get without it being an actual STS. Lol. I've got chrome wheels with a gold Cadillac crest in the center too. Maybe even paint those. Hmm. Got me thinking here!

Now, I'm guessing I could also paint the wheels without removing them from the tire right?

Also did you have to worry about anything "running" like with paint on a vertical surface such as that? And final question. How much does a spray can run and can I get it at any auto parts store?

shmiddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 3.6 DI CTS

it would be way easier to take the wheels off. seems like a big pain in the ass to mask everything behind.

KwikEvo8 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Take the wheels off. Expect to use a can a wheel(6 bucks each).

Another suggestion would be to finish it with a coat of clear. It still peels off the same and doesn't give the flat black look. IMO, the flat and gloss combo doesn't look right.

Ghostsoldier is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Eldorado ESC; 1974 Dodge Monaco 440 Police package

Can this rubber spray 'magic in a can' be had at an auto parts store, or is it a special/web order product?

I'm liking this thread, and the effect of this rubber spray on other auto applications, more and more!

Rob

KwikEvo8 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I got mine from Home Depot

shadez is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4

I'm guessing your in your early 20's as this fad is growing with the youth. I don't understand it. Chrome is not overrated and it isn't like its being over used on Cadillac. Its the universal color for emblems because it stands out without clashing on any color. You should be proud to announce your cars make and model. Blacking them out or making them the same color as the car basically hides the name. Not to mention it looks terrible when every aspect of the car is the same color. You next step may as well be black taillight covers. Good god man you drive a Cadillac not some crappy Honda. No offense but when i look for used cars to fix up and turn, i avoid anything that looks like yours. It screams some young punk ruined and rodded on this car.

Cadillaczach is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Deville,

Looks nice. I've wanted to do this for a while but was a bit suspect. Did you also do your wheels?

ztollon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by shadez View Post
    I'm guessing your in your early 20's as this fad is growing with the youth. I don't understand it. Chrome is not overrated and it isn't like its being over used on Cadillac. Its the universal color for emblems because it stands out without clashing on any color. You should be proud to announce your cars make and model. Blacking them out or making them the same color as the car basically hides the name. Not to mention it looks terrible when every aspect of the car is the same color. You next step may as well be black taillight covers. Good god man you drive a Cadillac not some crappy Honda. No offense but when i look for used cars to fix up and turn, i avoid anything that looks like yours. It screams some young punk ruined and rodded on this car.
    So hearing that im guessing you in your mid fourtys and have never tip toed over 120.. if that. People do what they want to there cars and i could rattle can my car superman colors. You dont have to try it. Some ppl like it some dont. And yea if u could guess im in my 20`s an have all these honda mods done on my cadi... gets my dic* wet so im happy. So are the ladys

Docace is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS BASE

Yes it's a caddy (I have the same exact car), big deal. I love the blacked out look. It makes the car look like a prowler! I for one am glad that he posted this, I will doing this on the next good weekend.

To the OP, so this will not come off in the car wash? Great job dude!

The thing to remember is everyone has an opinion, that's what we fight for!!

Ghostsoldier is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Eldorado ESC; 1974 Dodge Monaco 440 Police package

I'm almost 50, and I think it rocks...looks like a police cruiser or a sleeper. Good work, and thanks for the Home Depot info.
    Rob

jfmoots is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-4

Gotta agree with Shadez... I think the amount of chrome on our Cadillac is just right. Of course, to each his own, but when you put it up here you gotta take the lumps with the likes. Enjoy the ladies...

msCaliCTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    looks amazing.. I may have to use your idea as Ive been dying to get rid of the chrome on my '08 CTS... Hopefully I can get it to come out just as good as yours... Does it rub off when you wash the car?

DeucesWild88 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

great job. looks clean not over done

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.