Bulb replacement
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Appearance Mods Discussion, Bulb replacement in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I am new to this site and was hoping someone could help me out. I have a 2012 cts coupe. ...
    Jng33 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 Cadillac cts coupe

Bulb replacement

I am new to this site and was hoping someone could help me out. I have a 2012 cts coupe. I am lookIng to replace all the interior bulbs with LEDs. I have been searching for the sizes and can't find anything. I had just ordered led fog lights cause I was able to find that size. I just don't feel like having to open everything more than once. I was also looking to replace the drl's but wasn't sure if it is gonna be a struggle and don't know what kind of bulb that is. Also would like to replace The license plate bulbs. I can't stand the horrible look of the stock lighting. The amber look with allmthe LEDs and hiss looks horrible to me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

09ThunderGray is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS

Re: Bulb replacement

Word of advise when doing the license plate lights, do not follow the instructions in the owners manual on how to remove the light housing. They may have changed the manual for the 2012's and I hope they did. I just swapped them on my 09' and broke one of the tabs that holds the light housing in place by following the directions in there. $3.00 LED's ended up costing me nearly $50.00 by the time I bought a new lens.

BTW, you can find your bulb numbers here:

http://www.sylvania.com/en-us/applic...s/lrgmain.aspx

Thanks for the info. I will be sure to be careful.

5speedcobra is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac CTS

Hi, I just bought my 08 CTS, and 2 days after I bought it, I changed out the license plate bulbs to LED. Super easy to do, took me less than 1 minute a side, just make sure to be gentle with the houseing as mentioned above.

I'm on the same page, my old grand prix GXP had all led lighs for the interior, and I want to do the same here, but I'm kind of scared to rip appart the interior to change out the lights on the CTS, as It looks like a fair bit of work...lights in every door, etc etc. Kinda gave up on the idea till I sw this post to be honest. Keep up posted, I may soon follow haha

The interior lights are not hard to do. Just gotta get a flat head and pop the housing down where the lights are. Then need a star head to remove the housing for the acyual bulb. Takes 1 hour total for every light. Was very easy. Its the drl and fogs which i am still figuring out.

TonyLL is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CtS

Is there a DIY for this somehwere?

CTS4MATION is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS4

Quote Originally Posted by Jng33 View Post
    The interior lights are not hard to do. Just gotta get a flat head and pop the housing down where the lights are. Then need a star head to remove the housing for the acyual bulb. Takes 1 hour total for every light. Was very easy. Its the drl and fogs which i am still figuring out.
    I uses the same small flat head I used to pop all of the housings down with to remove those star heads. They arent tourqued at all, so they were VERY easy to remove. Like you said I think it took me less than an hour to do every interior bulb plus the license plate bulbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyLL View Post
    Is there a DIY for this somehwere?
    Its very simple, very simple. For your front and rear map lights just pop the units down with a flat screwdriver. They come right down with out much force at all.

kingtj is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS4 Coupe, Premium edition

I'm just wondering if you swap the bulbs with LED replacements, where you found good quality ones which fit as tightly as the original lamps?

I've done the LED light swap before on other cars, and each time, ran into issues -- usually because the replacement LED bulbs don't quite fit in the sockets the same way the original bulbs did. Often, they'll have little metal prongs that kind of friction-fit in the socket, and with vibration from driving the car, they eventually work themselves loose. Other times, I just got inferior quality LED lights which didn't keep consistent brightness over time. (So if you turned on the driver side and passenger side lights together, one would start looking brighter than the other.)

I don't think I'd bother with the LEDs again, unless someone has done this for a while and knows specific ones are working extremely well for them over time....

CTS4MATION is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS4

Quote Originally Posted by kingtj View Post
    I'm just wondering if you swap the bulbs with LED replacements, where you found good quality ones which fit as tightly as the original lamps?

I've done the LED light swap before on other cars, and each time, ran into issues -- usually because the replacement LED bulbs don't quite fit in the sockets the same way the original bulbs did. Often, they'll have little metal prongs that kind of friction-fit in the socket, and with vibration from driving the car, they eventually work themselves loose. Other times, I just got inferior quality LED lights which didn't keep consistent brightness over time. (So if you turned on the driver side and passenger side lights together, one would start looking brighter than the other.)

I don't think I'd bother with the LEDs again, unless someone has done this for a while and knows specific ones are working extremely well for them over time....
    Ive always used the best LEDs possible...... the bulk, made in china, ebay specials haha. The last set I bought, out of 24 bulbs one already had one side that wasnt working so it met the garbage. Other than that Ive had them (cheap ebay) in 2 of my other cars for about 6 years now..... problem free and havent seen any fading..... thats not to say they wont or havent a bit and I just havent noticed.
    I used to put PIAA bulbs in everything, but got tired of paying the PIAA price tag. Being that they arent hard to swap out, Ill deal with fading on a $.50 LED that may need replaced once or twice over a strong $8.00 one.

cubbie641 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 cts awd

Quote Originally Posted by kingtj View Post

AGT brand off Amazon has worked really well for me. I have changed out license plate bulbs, front foot wells, all doors and front/rear overhead lights. The bulbs all fit well except for the left side of the license plate lights, it felt a little loose compared to the right side. Maybe just an issue with my socket. Installed about 2 weeks ago so far so good, hope they last.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

These are plug n play, correct?

TrimThis is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 TG CTS Coupe

I changed all interiors, trunk, and license. Used red for the down lights in the doors. These cars have some issues with LED's as you may notice some flickering at times. I notice it more with the trunk and rear interior. Seen other posts on this as well. Try to buy the best blubs as said above. Footwells are kind of tough to pop out. Nice improvement, should have come from the factory with them.

cubbie641 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 cts awd

Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    These are plug n play, correct?
    yes, plug n play

rockryno is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS, 2009 Yamaha R1

i just installed these all over my car and they worked great.

http://www.amazon.com/2825-5-SMD-Whi...xgy_01_03_t_lh

getting more for the license plate

arw1510 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6, 2004 SRX 4.6 AWD, 2012 CTS 3.6 DI AWD

I just did mine today. the front doors are easier than the rear since the whole thing comes out, but the rear doors just tilt open to gain access. license plate ones were the easiest. trunk also super easy. the dome lights are easy also, the housing pops off and then small torx screws hold it in. Ill post some pics later when its dark enough to notice a difference.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.