20" Verde Madonna wheels on 09 CTS AWD Sedan
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By dsekhon
  • 2 Post By caddad08
  • 2 Post By tinman
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Appearance Mods Discussion, 20" Verde Madonna wheels on 09 CTS AWD Sedan in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I've been a long time lurker on this forum and learned a lot, so I thought I would give back ...
    Caddy Cope is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS DI AWD

Cool 20" Verde Madonna wheels on 09 CTS AWD Sedan

I've been a long time lurker on this forum and learned a lot, so I thought I would give back a little. For anyone thinking of putting 20s on their CTS, the absolute maximum tire size that will fit with no rubbing is 255/40/20. I know this because I just installed exactly that and you can only fit about a dime between the tire and the plastic wheel well lining on the front when I turn the tires all the way to one side. (There is exactly one spot where it is this close, everywhere else clears easily) The wheels are only turned this far when moving very slowly while turning in a parking lot or something, and it is only plastic if it were to rub and wouldn't hurt anything. There is another guy on this forum with 265/30/22s which are actually about 7mm bigger overall than mine, and he took a heat gun and bend the plastic back a little bit. So far I have not been able to hear it rub at all with this set up. The recommended tires were actually 245/35/20, but I wanted that extra sidewall and did not want to sacrifice ride quality. According to the tires 1010 calculator, my overall diameter is 20mm bigger than stock. At 60 mph, my speedo will actually say 58.3 mph. (a difference of 2.79%) The tires are Nitto NT 420S, and the wheels are Verde Madonna 20 X 8.5. At 100 mph the car rides just as smooth as stock. For me the slight speedo difference doesn't matter. But for those who would rather stay with the overall stock diameter, a co-worker of mine is running 35 sidewalls with no noticeable difference in ride quality. I ordered the wheels online from performanceplustire, and the entire process could not have been easier. I ordered over the phone from a guy named Joey M., and would highly highly recommend this place. (no I'm not affiliated with the place, just extremely satisfied) I think the wheels were on my front porch in exactly 11 days, 4 of which were weekends. They came mounted, balanced, with all hardware. I bought a $30 torque wrench from Advanced Auto Parts and installed them myself. Although you cannot tell, I also spent an entire day prepping and painting the rusted calipers/rotors with black Duplicolor caliper paint. I almost went with red, but ultimately decided I would rather just make the calipers disappear. Hopefully this post helps people out when choosing aftermarket wheels. I know 20s are not for everybody, but I cannot stop smiling whenever I look at my new ride Let me know what you think or if you have any questions.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

dsekhon is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 DI

Re: 20" Verde Madonna wheels on 09 CTS AWD Sedan

niceeeeee
    Caddy Cope and Caddy Cope like this.

caddad08 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS4 DI Hot Lava Edition PDZ AWD FE2

Great looking wheels!! And thanks for the tire info

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

What makes your setup look good (besides the fine wheels) is the "dead cat space" (really, that is what they call it). Having such a small area in the wheel well sets the wheels off nicely.

08CTSnj is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 Orange

Very nice. Exactly the info i needed.

BlackWidow11 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '11 CTS

Does the 09 and 11 have the same wheel space? I am looking at upgrading to 20" and I would prefer more tire than what the low-profile afford me.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

Yes.

Yes I would think so since the stock tires on both the 09 and 11 are 235/50/18. Low profiles look good, but I personally did not want to waste the ride quality of a Caddy by throwing rubber band tires on it. That's why I went with the 40 series sidewall.

I agree with not wanting to sacrifice ride quality or try to dodge every pothole (big and small) in Chicago. I would be going into the other lanes, including the opposite direction

wcthunder is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Coupe 3.6 RWD Perfomance Pkg, TriCoat White Diamond

Quote Originally Posted by Caddy Cope View Post
    Yes I would think so since the stock tires on both the 09 and 11 are 235/50/18. Low profiles look good, but I personally did not want to waste the ride quality of a Caddy by throwing rubber band tires on it. That's why I went with the 40 series sidewall.
    The 40 series will give you a harder ride, less sidewall. If you wanted a softer ride you should of move to the 55 series.

If you went with the 55 series, would it not be too high? We are talking about putting them on 20s. This is the configurations I got on website
    245/40-20
    255/35-20
    255/40-20
    265/35-20

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWidow11 View Post
    If you went with the 55 series, would it not be too high? We are talking about putting them on 20s. This is the configurations I got on website
    245/40-20
    255/35-20
    255/40-20
    265/35-20
    yes, it will be high. "Too high"?, well its depends on your taste. After all, I saw a Cadillac Hurst on 24's!!!! When I go to put rims on mine, I'm trying to stay 18's and hopefully move up to the next ratio size (45, 50) for a softer ride. And definitely get the tires with the rim protected bead.

Yes of course a 55 series will give a softer ride. But we are talking about the absolute highest series that will still fit in the wheel well with no rubbing or modifications on a 20" rim. The reason I created this post was just to let those who want to go with 20s know that the absolute largest total diameter that will fit with no rubbing is with a 255/40/20 tire which makes an overall diameter of 712mm compared to the stock diameter of 692.2mm which makes my setup .78" larger in overall diameter but still fitting. This makes the speedometer about 1mph off which is negligible. The tire and wheel retailers mostly recommend a 30 or 35 series tire and will tell you that a 40 series won't fit. That's what they tried to tell me. But my experience told me otherwise and I was right. I am glad I went with the 40 series over the 30 series for a slightly better ride. I own 5 vehicles, and even with the 40 series tires my CTS has the smoothest ride. So now that u know that a 712mm overall diameter will fit, you can play with the calculator on the following site and decide which setup is right for you: http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-...0R18/255-40R20

Quote Originally Posted by Caddy Cope View Post
    Yes of course a 55 series will give a softer ride. But we are talking about the absolute highest series that will still fit in the wheel well with no rubbing or modifications on a 20" rim. The reason I created this post was just to let those who want to go with 20s know that the absolute largest total diameter that will fit with no rubbing is with a 255/40/20 tire which makes an overall diameter of 712mm compared to the stock diameter of 692.2mm which makes my setup .78" larger in overall diameter but still fitting. This makes the speedometer about 1mph off which is negligible. The tire and wheel retailers mostly recommend a 30 or 35 series tire and will tell you that a 40 series won't fit. That's what they tried to tell me. But my experience told me otherwise and I was right. I am glad I went with the 40 series over the 30 series for a slightly better ride. I own 5 vehicles, and even with the 40 series tires my CTS has the smoothest ride. So now that u know that a 712mm overall diameter will fit, you can play with the calculator on the following site and decide which setup is right for you: http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-...0R18/255-40R20
    Thank you for the info. This will definitely help me with my decision.

hyprsprt is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS4
    So can I put 265 35 20 all around

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.