Vossen CV3's... What color on a Radiant Silver CTS Coupe?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Appearance Mods Discussion, Vossen CV3's... What color on a Radiant Silver CTS Coupe? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I'm 100% sure that I'm going with these Vossen wheels in the next couple of months, but wanted the forums ...
    BeantownBully is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS Coupe

Vossen CV3's... What color on a Radiant Silver CTS Coupe?

I'm 100% sure that I'm going with these Vossen wheels in the next couple of months, but wanted the forums opinion on which color to go with... Saw an earlier post for a black CTS and wanted to get some opinions for the Silver CTS drivers...

"They're offered in black with machined face, graphite, and silver. I think you can make an argument for each choice..." I'm leaning towards the black with machined face, but think the silver may match up the best...

So what do you guys think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MTL_CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 Cadillac CTS-4 Coupe Raven Black

Re: Vossen CV3's... What color on a Radiant Silver CTS Coupe?

This is similar to the thread I started Really you can't go wrong with either choice withe the CV3's.

But if it were me, on a light colored car (white, silver) I would either do the matte graphite, or matte black with machined face.

If you do matte black/machined and also black out other chrome trim pieces on your car, the black/silver theme would look nice imo.

Haha, I was hoping you would give your input, seeing how I jacked your thread...

But I like the idea of "blacking" out the chrome pieces and going with the black/machined. I was also thinking about doing the roof black, which would help I'm guessing...

Has anyone done the project of covering up their chrome pieces on the forum?

Thanks!

Getch78 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 3.6DI

I love the black with machined face the most.

I covered the chrome trim around the windows as well as debadged it. http://www.vacationrentals.com/vacat...promoType=none

I am in the process of polishing and waxing it, so when I am done I can post a few more pics.

Pictures would be great! But did you do the work yourself on the chrome? I know this is a simple question, but what do people use to debadge? Just don't want to harm the paint?

MTL_CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 Cadillac CTS-4 Coupe Raven Black

To debadge, hair dryer and some dental floss always did the trick for me.

Like MTL said, the debadging is pretty simple. If any adhesive remains a little goo gone will take care of it.

I did the work on the chrome myself. I picked up some 3M matte black vinyl wrap, measured, cut to size, applied and carefully removed access. I think I spent about 45 minutes doing all the window trim. Again, a hair dryer is needed, but 3M makes an easy to use product.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

Quote Originally Posted by MTL_CTS View Post
    To debadge, hair dryer and some dental floss always did the trick for me.
    And make sure your car is clean first.

Thanks for the idea on the matte black wrap, but I'm not too good that kind of stuff, so pictures would be helpful to see if it's a project (which would take me much more time than you) worth taking on. Did you also do the front and back of the car?

Debadging Sounds easy enough, shouldn't be an issue...

I think I've decided on the black/machine.

It probably would be a good idea to switch the calipers too huh? Any suggestions on those? What color? Where to order from?

Paint your calipers. Much easier. Use G3.

The vinyl wrap is pretty easy. It is like applying a sticker that you can pull back and reapply as needed and smooth it out with the hair dryer as needed. The trickiest part is probably taking the time to cut the access away without damaging your car. That being said, as long as you have it firmly applied you can see where you need to cut, so it is not too bad. Unfortunately, I did not take pictures as I applied it, so a DIY with photos is something I cannot really provide. However, I could provide a few photos to highlight a few pointers and things to consider.

I could probably put something together today if you think that would help. Personally, I love how it looks without the chrome around the windows and the matte black is a perfect match for the matte black window sills on the doors.

Pictures and any info you can provide would be great! I like the sound of it, just really can't get a good visual without seeing it... Also, I'm a little nervous about doing this job, but the way you make it seem, sounds manageable with little room for damage to the vehicle (my main concern)

Before I took on this project, I found this: http://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-in...-g-sedans.html

That was very useful for me. Also, here are a few CTS specific pointers...
    IMG_20120315_181244.jpg
    Highlighted here is where a seem exists in the chrome trim, but it is a very small one. I continued the wrap right over it rather than add an unnecessary seem.

IMG_20120315_181305.jpg
    Highlighted here is the section that runs across the top. You will need to complete these sections with the doors open, and if you look closely, there is a seem where it ends that is easy to use to cut away excess vinyl.

IMG_20120315_181232.jpg
    Highlighted here is the corners, when completing these you will want to make sure you have enough overlap of vinyl to bring the wrap in. That way no chrome is visible when opening doors.

IMG_20120315_181335.jpg
    Highlighted here is the finished product. It has been through snow and a few high pressure car washes and still shows no sign of wear or peeling.

3M makes a solid product, which is very forgiving. I spent about $20 for the vinyl shipped and it was worth every penny.

I hope this helps, and let me know if you have any other questions.

NIce. 3M has high quality and they are proud of their products.

Quote Originally Posted by Getch78 View Post
    Before I took on this project, I found this: http://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-in...-g-sedans.html

That was very useful for me. Also, here are a few CTS specific pointers...
    Attachment 88304
    Highlighted here is where a seem exists in the chrome trim, but it is a very small one. I continued the wrap right over it rather than add an unnecessary seem.

Attachment 88305
    Highlighted here is the section that runs across the top. You will need to complete these sections with the doors open, and if you look closely, there is a seem where it ends that is easy to use to cut away excess vinyl.

Attachment 88306
    Highlighted here is the corners, when completing these you will want to make sure you have enough overlap of vinyl to bring the wrap in. That way no chrome is visible when opening doors.

Attachment 88307
    Highlighted here is the finished product. It has been through snow and a few high pressure car washes and still shows no sign of wear or peeling.

3M makes a solid product, which is very forgiving. I spent about $20 for the vinyl shipped and it was worth every penny.

I hope this helps, and let me know if you have any other questions.
    This is great! Thanks a lot! What tools are you using for this project with the 3M vinyl?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.