Modified OEM HID Headlight
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Appearance Mods Discussion, Modified OEM HID Headlight in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; ...
    sfv41901 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS

Modified OEM HID Headlight

While I was doing my "V" bumper swap, I also took on a mod with my headlights.

I had both headlights replaced while under warrenty 2 wks prior, so these were brand new lights.......so the first thing I did was stick them in the oven.

The mods that I was going to do are as follows:

I’m removing the amber reflector & swapping out the OEM purple tinted projector lens with a 84-90 BMW E30 OEM projector lens. I choose this lens because it has the same optics as the CTS lens, it’s just crystal clear. This offers a better output & cleaner cutoff. I also bought a set of 5202 LED bulbs to replace the DRL bulbs. The LED bulbs are made by Plasma Glow & offer a 10 year warranty. I also installed a pair of 5000k D2S bulb & before you start thinking that I made a typo, I did say D2S bulbs. I was able to do this with the help of D1R/D1S to D2R/D2S adaptors from XeVision. (http://www.xevision.com/hid_prices.html#xesparqprices)

This is what I had to do to get the lights open:

I started to peheated my oven to 200°F & put the rack inside the oven in the middle. While the oven was heating up, I remove all of the bulbs, the ballast, the bracket that the bumper cover sits on & the screws that help hold the lens on. When the oven was ready, I set 1 headlight on a large cookie sheet & set it in the oven for 10-15mins. While the headlight was in the oven, I DID NOT turn it off. When my timer went off, I removed the headlight & used the largest flat head screw driver I had. I worked the screw driver in-between the lens & the housing of the headlight. When I had them separated far enough to get my hook inside, I rotated the tip of the hook towards the lens & slowly worked my way around the light keeping 1 hand on the housing & pulling up on the lens with the hook. Once I got the lens loose, I had to disconnect the wires that went to the light pipe & the LEDs behind the amber reflector. Next I removed the screws that hold the chrome headlight bezel to the lens. Then I removed the amber reflector & reinstalled the bezel to the lens & set them aside face up to avoid dust & dirt settling inside the lens.
    Next I unplugged the wire for the high beam solenoid & for the motor that moves the projector from left to right & removed the projector from the housing so I could swap out the lenses. There are 3 screws that hold the shroud to the projector housing. Once this is removed, there are 3 more screws that hold the projector itself to the housing.

Once that the projector is free, I had to separate the front ½ of the projector from the rear ½. To do this, there are 6 metal tabs, 4 on top & 2 on the bottom of the projector that need to be bent & 1 screw near the high beam solenoid so the halves can be separated. I put the rear ½ of the projector aside since I’m only working on the front ½. There are 2 screws that hold the front ½ together. Once these are removed, you have 2 sections of the front ½.….the lens & then the cutoff shield & high beam solenoid. Now with the lens part, there are 2 metal clips on the side that had to be removed in order for the lens to come out. Once the lens was out, it was a matter of putting in the new lens & putting everything back together. Now I had to repeat the entire process on the other headlight.

While I had the headlights apart, I took this opertunity to take part of the headlight bezel to my dealers bodyshop to have it color matched to my car.

When the bezels were picked up, it was time to put everything back together. I took off all of the old glue on the housing & lens so I didnt have any uneven areas. I laid a thin bead of butyl rubber down in the groove of the housing & set it in the oven at 200°F for about 10mins to make it soft. When I took it out I reinstalled the lens & put the screws back in. Then I used some weights to compress the lens for 24hrs. Now they are done. Doing it this way has resulted in no moisture buildup within the lights.

Now many of you are probably thinking…….”that’s a lot of work for such a little result”. Well, to you I say……..your probably right, but I’m a HID NUT & if you are familiar with www.HIDPlanet.com, then you know where I’m coming from.

On to the pics:

LED DRLs

XeVision Adaptors

OEM DRL vs LED DRL

Headlight:

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

re: Modified OEM HID Headlight

Bezels that will be painted:

Projector:

OEM Lens: (notice how fuzzy the "R" is)

E30 Lens: (notice how clear the "R" is)

Here is the OEM cutoff:

E30 cutoff:

And this is the final result:

This is my new output:

Getch78, Getch78, GProdigy and 3 others like this.

rcmunir is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS 08

That looks AMAZING! Great detail in the write up!

I need to borrow your brain for a week and do all the mods I can. Your CTS is a dream!!!!
    well done!!!!

You can see a significant difference between the projectors/light output. The new set up is crystal clear!

Getch78 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 3.6DI

Great work! Your car looks fantastic. I appreciate you taking the time to share the nice write up on what you did as it is a benefit to our whole community.

Pdabs is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS4
    That looks great.
    Makes me want to order hids ASAP

Thx for all the comments......its def a labor of love

rcmunir is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS 08

Quote Originally Posted by sfv41901 View Post
    Thx for all the comments......its def a labor of love
    I'm going to be using your cts-v front bumper write up as well! Its so hard to find these parts locally and shipping from the states is +150-235 on top of the price for the bumper

It's not a cheap mod. Some have had success with a replica "V" bumper from Umnitza:

http://www.umnitza.com/index.php?mai...oducts_id=6010

MTL_CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 Cadillac CTS-4 Coupe Raven Black

Fantastic work yet again

Thx. I think I'm gonna fix the pitch of the driver side cutoff. When I look at the pic of both cutoffs, I see more light at the bottom of the pass cutoff as I do the driver side.

TrimThis is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 TG CTS Coupe

Re: Modified OEM HID Headlight

That is sweet. I have replaced every bulb in the car to LED but the headlights are not up my alley. Have you ever thought what it would be worth to do a set for someone else? The black bezels are what I'm really into. Also could the 5250's be installed without pulling the light, I haven't looked at how they are set up. Nice job and write up.

Quote Originally Posted by TrimThis
    That is sweet. I have replaced every bulb in the car to LED but the headlights are not up my alley. Have you ever thought what it would be worth to do a set for someone else? The black bezels are what I'm really into. Also could the 5250's be installed without pulling the light, I haven't looked at how they are set up. Nice job and write up.
    Thank you.

In order to replace any of the lights within the headlight, it needs to be removed. There is no way around it. Many car makers are doing this these days as a way to keep money coming in & let me tell u its not cheap labor.......I asked Felix Cadillac in D/T LA what the labor would be just to replace any bulb in the headlight......I was told a min of 2 hrs at $85 per hr. I can have the bumper off it 15mins.

As for doing other members lights......sure, I can do that. If anybody is interested, send me a pm.

cts4quebec is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4

Hi sfv41901,
    I am very insterested in having my lights modded by you, unfortunately I'm new to the whole forum experience, can you PM me? I can't seem to find a way to PM you.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cts4quebec
    Hi sfv41901,
    I am very insterested in having my lights modded by you, unfortunately I'm new to the whole forum experience, can you PM me? I can't seem to find a way to PM you.

Thanks
    You need to have more posts inorder to pm.

I'll be more than happy to mod ur lights when ur ready.

cts4quebec is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4

ok can you e-mail me then :
    thanks

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.