CTS-V bumpers on a 08 CTS How-to
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Appearance Mods Discussion, CTS-V bumpers on a 08 CTS How-to in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; ...
    sfv41901 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS

CTS-V bumpers on a 08 CTS How-to

I know there has been a lot of talk about what is & not needed to complete the CTS-V Bumper swap, so Im making this write up of what it took me to get the swap complete for other members that want to do this.

In this swap, I changed both the front & rear bumper covers to the V bumper covers.

The parts that are needed for the Front V Bumper:

Front "V" Bumper cover
    Front Upper Grill
    Front Lower Grill
    Fog Lights
    Fog Light Bezels
    Left Brake Duct (1 piece)
    Right Brake Duct (2 pieces)
    Left & Right Front Half Inner Splash Shields
    Lower Bumper Trim
    Front "V" Bumper absorber

Once you have all of the parts needed & ready to get them installed, you should start by removing the old bumper. In order to do this, you need to do the following:

1) Remove the 6 plastic twist screws that hold down the plastic/seal that runs over the top of the radiator.
    2) Remove the 2 plastic retainer clips that are at the far end of the bumper cover next to the headlights.
    3) Remove the 2 10mm screws that hold the grill to the radiator core support.
    4) There are 2 plastic retainer clips on each inner fender/splash shield that need to be removed. These hold the bumper cover to the inner fender. Once you have them removed, there is 1 10mm screw behind the inner fender on each side that holds the top of the bumper cover to the bottom of the fender. There is no need to remove the wheels. I was able to get the clips & the bolts of by just turning the wheels to either side.
    5) Next there will be plastic retainer clips that hold the bottom of the bumper cover the lower engine cover. I forgot how many.
    6) Once you have all of the clips & bolts removed, pull each side of the bumper cover away from the fenders.
    7) Grab the grill & pull the bumper cover away from the car keeping the bottom of the bumper cover in an angle to keep the fender arch of the cover away from the fenders. Once you have the bumper cover free, set it on the ground.
    8) If you have headlight washers, locate the hose that connects to the jet. There is a white retainer clip that holds the hose in. Press the clip & pull towards the end of the cover.
    9) If you have fog lights, unplug them at this point.

Here are some pics showing where & what needs to be removed:

Now that the Front Bumper is off, there are 2 tabs on the bumper reinforcement bar that need to be cutoff cause the fog light housing on the "V" bumper sits in this area.

In order to get to the top welds of the tabs, the Bumper absorber needs to be removed. There are 3 plastic retainers that hold the absorber to the reinforcement bar. Once these are removed, the absorber will come right off.

These are the tabs

Area in red is where they are welded

This is what it looks like when removed

I ground down the welds & painted the bare metal

Next you need to swap out the front half inner splash shields. These are held in with some plastic retainers. Once you have them removed, its just a matter of taking out the old splash shields & putting in the V splash shields. Then connect the brake ducts to the splash shields. Last you need to install the V absorber. Bring the V bumper cover over to the car & connect the fog lights & headlight washers. Now the V bumper cover can be installed onto the car. From this point, the installation is the exact reverse of the removal.
    Merge, Merge, jaymsu and 5 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: CTS-V bumpers on a 08 CTS How-to

Now for the rear “V” Bumper Cover

Unlike the front, the rear “V” bumper cover is a lot easier since it is a direct swap. Nothing needs to be removed or modified.

Parts that are need for the Rear “V” Bumper:

“V” Bumper Cover
    Lower Diffuser
    Lower Grill Inserts
    Lower Trim Covers
    The Reflectors can just be swapped from the old bumper to the “V” Bumper

FYI: The Rear “V” bumper cover that I bought came complete with everything…….trim, reflectors, absorber, parking sensors etc. That being said, I’m not 100% sure that the regular CTS bumper absorber will fit the “V” bumper cover since I just used the one that I got with the “V” bumper & never tested the fit of the regular CTS absorber.

Once you have all of the parts needed & ready to get them installed, you should start by removing the old bumper. In order to do this, you need to do the following:

1) If you have the rear parking assist, unplug the connector from under the car.
    2) Remove the 2 plastic retainers in each inner splash shield.
    3) Remove 1 7mm screw in each fender well behind the splash shield.
    4) Remove the 3 plastic retainers on the bottom of the bumper cover under the car.
    5) Open the trunk. Lift up the bottom part of the rubber trunk seal. Along the edge of the cover, you will see 5 clips that hold the cover. Use a flat head screw driver & press in the middle of the clip & slightly pull the cover away from the rear of the car. Do this foe each of the 5 clips. Once you have all 5 clips release, you can pull the rear cover off of the car.

Here are a few pics showing where & what needs to be removed:

Once you have the old bumper cover off, set it aside & remove any reflectors, parking sensors & wiring that might need to be placed on the new “V” bumper cover.

The only issue that I came across during the Rear swap was the rear side reflectors. When I was preparing the “V” bumper for paint & removing the side reflectors, the plastic tabs that hold them in cracked. Knowing this when I was removing my original CTS Bumper & now need to swap the reflectors, I used my heat gun to soften up the plastic tabs to prevent them from cracking. I also used this same method when installing them in the “V” bumper & it worked great.

At this point, the “V” bumper is now ready to be installed onto the car. The installation is the reverse of removal with the exception that you don’t need to release the clips near the trunk, just push the cover to lock the clips around the tabs on the cover.

Now…..step back and admire the new look of your CTS. I know I did.

Merge and Merge like this.

caddad08 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS4 DI Hot Lava Edition PDZ AWD FE2

Great job! - Excellent write-ups!

MTL_CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 Cadillac CTS-4 Coupe Raven Black

Wow great contribution! Thanks for this write up!!

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

nice job

reciprocity is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2009 CTS Premium (RWD w/3.6DI & FE2)

What a great write-up! Thanks for sharing the very detailed instructions and taking all the photos.

What LED bulbs did you use for the DRLs? Was it a plug-and-play installation and are they as bright as the stock bulbs were? Did you replace the blinkers with LEDs, too (and what bulbs)?

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    What a great write-up! Thanks for sharing the very detailed instructions and taking all the photos.

What LED bulbs did you use for the DRLs? Was it a plug-and-play installation and are they as bright as the stock bulbs were? Did you replace the blinkers with LEDs, too (and what bulbs)?
    The DRLs dont seem to be "as" bright, but I havent had any problems seeing them during the day.

Stock vs LED

They are made by a company called Plasma Glow (http://www.plasmaglow.com/5202-h13-9...oglight-bulbs/) You can also get them at JC Whitney (http://www.jcwhitney.com/plasmaglow-...wx?filterid=j1) They come with a 10 year warranty.

250motorsportz is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS

GREAT job and write-up!! I plan to do the V rockers and rear bumper after winter. Just curious...did you put the V headlights in aswell or did you paint your housings? Enjoy!!

Quote Originally Posted by 250motorsportz View Post
    GREAT job and write-up!! I plan to do the V rockers and rear bumper after winter. Just curious...did you put the V headlights in aswell or did you paint your housings? Enjoy!!
    I pulled the lights open, removed the reflector & color matched the outer part of the bezel (its a 2 piece bezel) & swapped out the OEM lens & replaced it with a E30 lens.

250motorsportz is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS

They turned out great....I couldn't take mine apart, just couldn't do it!! I've had bad experiences with taking headlights apart on previous vehicles but ideally I'd like to take the housings apart and paint them white diamond and smoke the orange lens...could I send mine to you?

Merge is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ★ 2009 CTS⁴ Black Raven|Ebony ★

Nice job! It looks awesome!
    Great how-to.
    I'd like to do that one day.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by 250motorsportz View Post
    They turned out great....I couldn't take mine apart, just couldn't do it!! I've had bad experiences with taking headlights apart on previous vehicles but ideally I'd like to take the housings apart and paint them white diamond and smoke the orange lens...could I send mine to you?
    If you are serious & want to ship them to me to open, then send me a pm.

Redrum08 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cts 08

looks great! Anybody know if the coupe bumper would fit on the sedan

MTL_CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 Cadillac CTS-4 Coupe Raven Black

Quote Originally Posted by Redrum08 View Post
    AFAIK the CTS-V bumpers are the same 08-11 sedan/coupe...

Quote Originally Posted by Redrum08 View Post
    I think they are the same

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.