HID's and Aftermarket Fogs Installed on Base CTS
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Appearance Mods Discussion, HID's and Aftermarket Fogs Installed on Base CTS in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I just finished the installation. I wasn't able to find much info on adding HID's to a base CTS prior ...
    heb80 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe

HID's and Aftermarket Fogs Installed on Base CTS

I just finished the installation. I wasn't able to find much info on adding HID's to a base CTS prior to my install, so I will post my findings for anyone else that wants to install the HID's

First, since HID's only draw 35 watts, versus 55 watt halogens, they can sometimes trigger a "bulb out warning" dashboard indicator. The CTS does not have a "Bulb out warning" so the 35 watt HIDs do not trigger anything. This means that a "Bulb-out-warning eliminator kit" (BOW) is not needed.

Second, the base model CTS daytime running lights are actually the low beams running on reduced voltage. The daytime running lights will need to be disabled since HID's cannot run on reduced voltage. To disable the Daytime Running Lights you just need to pull two fuses from the fuse box that are clearly labeled "DRL".

Now for the pictures. There are plenty of pictures in the album as well as captions describing the process.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jordan00escalade is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 Escalade, 2002 Deville DTS

Re: HID's and Aftermarket Fogs Installed on Base CTS

looks sharp

tumblrCTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 CTSex

pics with them on?

nguyendot is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 Black CTS 3.6DI D3 intake, Magnaflow Exhaust w/xpipe

Yes, for our curiosity can you get some pics with it on, shined on a wall (to see cutoff) and on the road (to see beam pattern). I always wondered what the stock retrofit looked like.

I will try to get some wall and road pictures this weekend.

My experience has been 35watt HID's work fine when installed in "projector" type halogen lamps.

It is when people install HID's into halogen "reflector" type lamps, or install 55 watt HID's into "projector" type lamps, that light is scattered all over the place, including into the eyes of oncoming traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by nguyendot View Post
    Yes, for our curiosity can you get some pics with it on, shined on a wall (to see cutoff) and on the road (to see beam pattern). I always wondered what the stock retrofit looked like.

Well I believe our headlights are capsule based so they retrofit well. You just don't get auto leveling or the steering.

I put a few photos in the album below. I have one wall shot, and 4 road shots (2 with just HID Lows and 2 with HID Lows + Halogen Highs). You will notice a slight halo coming off the driver side light in the wall shot but the photo makes it looks worse than it really is. The camera tends to make brights look brighter and darks look darker.

Quote Originally Posted by nguyendot View Post

Not bad. Good thing is you still have flash to pass, my car only gets that at night when the HIDs are already on.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.