Ambient light for front footwells - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Appearance Mods Discussion, Ambient light for front footwells in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Going to attempt this very soon, for the front only. My car has the TSQ package, so on paper this ...
    Wag-O-Neer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-4 Wagon Premium 3.6 w/FE2

Re: Ambient light for front footwells

Going to attempt this very soon, for the front only. My car has the TSQ package, so on paper this shouldn't be plug and play. My dealer ran my VIN and said that it WOULD work, so not sure what to think there. I took the driver side floor panel down, just to see what's what, and didn't see any wiring near the hole where the LED goes, so I can't imagine that it's going to be plug and play. I'll just have to find where the dash light pipes get their power from, and tap that line. Not really rocket science here, but I wish it were plug and play. Will report back....

Just ordered the kit today from my dealer...$52.00.

Should have it in a few days and will attempt install as long as we're out of this arctic blast of air we have right now. This will not be plug and play for me, but I should be able to work it out.

Gonna attempt install tomorrow. I definitely don't have the pre-wiring for this, since I have the TSQ ambient light package, so I'll have to engineer my own solution. Will update....

Well, mission completed. Whoever posted the "speaker wire" method....thank you. I don't think I'd have even attempted it, had you not posted that how-to. I'll snap a pic once it gets dark.....

papanots is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS

I have a 2010 and would absolutely LOVE to have a clear-cut way to install all the ambient lighting footwells/dash/door/dome shifter light. When I bought the car, the dealer said you can add the lighting yourself afterwards and not have to pay for the option as part of a bundled accessory package ($4,000 extra). So it was a no-brainer...until I pulled the panels and saw NO connectors. Everytime I drive at night and look at darkness inside it ticks me off!! My neighbour bought his 2010 with all the bells and whistles and my heart sinks when I see the interior lighting in his car. It just elevates the wow and classy factor so much!

jimpav is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS AWD 3.6

I had my dealer look up the diagram and if you have the TSQ option like I have, there is no connector available. Not sure if there is even an access port for the bulbs. Really odd because there are lights in the footwells that illuminate when you open the doors like the other interior lights, but I guess there's another opening for the ambient lights????? Sure would be nice if someone out there that has them could post a picture.

BeantownBully is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Wag-O-Neer View Post
    Well, mission completed. Whoever posted the "speaker wire" method....thank you. I don't think I'd have even attempted it, had you not posted that how-to. I'll snap a pic once it gets dark.....
    ^^^co-sign

masterswn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 & 2008 Cadillac CTS

Quote Originally Posted by motopsycho231 View Post
    I wired up the ambient pin light that is on the dome light control panel. It came out really nice and just puts a VERY soft glow onto the shifter. very clean and inconspicuous. I am not sure when Cadillac decided to utilize this but mine had the hole but no bulb or wiring. I tapped of the ignition power to the moon roof control.
    Awesome...

please confirm,

you tapped into the power for the sun roof right? did you also ground it to the sunroof wire as well..

also, is the power constant. running 24/7 even when the car is off?.. or just when the car is on? what about during the day?

do you have the part number as well?

Thanks.

Richard MacGregor is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Got our CTS Sportwagon...it is a vote for the home team!

Guys,

RAB did all of the work and I tagged onto his effort with my 2010 wagon. I sort of was nervous about removing trim and tapping wires but then if you are very careful, treat the job with respect you won't damage anything.

I hate those Scotchlock 3 way connectors, but here where the load is so diminutive it works well and makes the job easy. Pay close attention to polarity as LEDs won't operate with that incorrect. You can buy double door bell wire that works just as well as the wire that I used with the same results.

Richard

I have had these for a long while now and am still pleased with the effort.

motopsycho231 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 cts raven

Quote Originally Posted by masterswn View Post
    Awesome...

please confirm,

you tapped into the power for the sun roof right? did you also ground it to the sunroof wire as well..

also, is the power constant. running 24/7 even when the car is off?.. or just when the car is on? what about during the day?

do you have the part number as well?

Thanks.
    I ground the light to the ground on the car (anywhere really with a self tapper or you can ttap off the ground wires up there. And I used the wire on the sunroof controls that only gets power when the key is turned. That way when I shut the car off and open the door the pin light shuts off. Easy install (2 wires) I have a color changing led in there now so it softly switches through 7 colors and is very cool. you don't notice the changing of colors because they fade very slowly but always have every one guessing lol.

papanots is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS

For the "speaker wire" method it says "Find the left dash light pipe and it's red and black wiring (same colors as the LED kit) "....My car did not come with the light pipes in the dash behind the wood. Are there spare wires there or do you need the lights to be there physically?

Papa,

If you cannot locate the light pipe wires, lying there then more research is needed. Are you brave and would you be willing to tear into fuse panels, maybe blow a fuse, stab hat pins into wires and test them with a multimeter?

I was lucky because I got to tap into the light pipes in the dash and we know that they dim or turn off by day on a switch. Still you have instrument panel lights that go on and off as described. One of those wires plus a ground will make your LEDs operate on and off with the lights. Once you believe that you have your 12volt hot wire....stab a pin into it, and read that wire with one multimeter probe and the other to a good clean metal ground surface. (test is to use that same ground spot and the center terminal inside your power port when it is on)

If none of this makes sense, you need someone with electrical savvy to be your friend! (I can help you further if you decide to dive in and have a question)

Richard

austin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ~2011 CTS-V Coupe & 2013 SRX~
    Guys,

What color is the optional front footwell led? White or Blue? I saw a GM photo showing Bluish color.. But the posted photo here shows a White spot light... I wonder if a blue sharpie can tinge the white to a Blue that would be way cool. Is the led bulb replaceable?? They sell small Blue ones if they are White.

It is white but very, very soft light.......like a 5 watt bulb in each pin hole. I doubt that the LED is replacable.

Richard

austin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ~2011 CTS-V Coupe & 2013 SRX~
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard MacGregor
    It is white but very, very soft light.......like a 5 watt bulb in each pin hole. I doubt that the LED is replacable.

Richard
    Thank you.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.