Ambient light for front footwells - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Appearance Mods Discussion, Ambient light for front footwells in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Originally Posted by RAB New Bee - thanks, my pleasure. To tell you the truth I'm not sure what type ...
    Richard MacGregor is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Got our CTS Sportwagon...it is a vote for the home team!

Re: Ambient light for front footwells

Quote Originally Posted by RAB View Post
    New Bee - thanks, my pleasure.
    To tell you the truth I'm not sure what type of lights they are - LED or incandescent. I didn't study them that closely at time of installation. Note that the light produced/projected is quite subtle, and shines through an approx. 3/16" diameter hole ("pinhole") in each respective under-dash panel (driver and passenger side). The object of the application is to provide a very subtle glow of light on the legs and feet of the driver and front seat passenger. At night, in the city, these footwell "ambient lights" really aren't all that evident with the vehicle positioned under bright street lights. In rural / more sparcely lit areas however, the footwell ambient lights become much more apparent and provide the desired effect CTS designers had in mind. It's pretty cool, sexy even. Hey, just ask Kate Walsh!
    Linked-in below are a couple of photos of the under-dash panels (driver & passenger side) showing the pinhole light produced by the ambient light assemblies:

Driver footwell ambient light:

Passenger footwell ambient light:

RAB.
    Guys,

I was disappointed to see that the plug-n-play plug was missing from my car's 2010 wiring loom as I'd already purchsed the kit. I decided to make my own loom to connect both sides to the source.
    Pulling a small pair of wires from the driver's to passenger's side was easy enough using old 16 gauge speaker wire left over from many old radio installs. It is light duty but is perfect for this LED lighting. Finding the source was as follows:

1)Remove the small left side wood grain trim at the left dash corner.....be gentle with a plastic tool, it pulls straight out off of clips. 2) remove the side dash cover next to the left door 3) Find the left dash light pipe and it's red and black wiring (same colors as the LED kit) 4)Fish out the slack of the light pipe wiring with a hook tool or wire 5) Use Scotch 3 way connector to connect both the red and black wire to the created loom (assumes that you have fished your loom you made up and out of the area where the light pipe is fed) 6) Tuck the Scotch locks and your wiring back into the space from where you found them 7) make your splice color to color with the LED footwell kit both sides 7) neatly wire tie up excess away from sharp surfaces or moving parts 8) Test the lighting with your headlights on 9) Put all of the panels back on the dash and enjoy!

Richard

Richard MacGregor is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Got our CTS Sportwagon...it is a vote for the home team!

Look for my successful attempt at adding these on page 3:
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...otwells-3.html

Quote Originally Posted by rchern View Post
    Last week I looked under the drivers side dashboard for the connection for the ambient lighting and I couldn't find it. This week I got my hands on a 7mm socket so I was able to get under the passenger side of the dashboard. There's no connection for the ambient lighting. The wiring doesn't even look the same as it does in the picture that someone posted on this thread. I guess the first year GM just eliminated the lights (probably a last minute decision) and when they retooled for 2010 they took out the connection. Oh well.

off1c3r is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0T Performance AWD

For anyone with the 2011's.. I couldn't find the thing either.... I was so sad

Heres some pics i took with my phone.. sorry phone had no flash so I had to shine a flashlight and take pic in that tight area..

THis picture is the bottom panel slightly dropped and your looking stright foward towards pedal. The plug in the picture is the one for the regular floor light..

This picture is an UPward looking view so if your head was lying flat on the floor and you were staring up, this is what you see.

and those are the only real plugs I saw down there.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard MacGregor View Post
    Guys, I was disappointed to see that the plug-n-play plug was missing from my car's 2010 wiring loom as I'd already purchsed the kit. I decided to make my own loom to connect both sides to the source. Pulling a small pair of wires from the driver's to passenger's side was easy enough using old 16 gauge speaker wire left over from many old radio installs. It is light duty but is perfect for this LED lighting. Finding the source was as follows: 1)Remove the small left side wood grain trim at the left dash corner.....be gentle with a plastic tool, it pulls straight out off of clips. 2) remove the side dash cover next to the left door 3) Find the left dash light pipe and it's red and black wiring (same colors as the LED kit) 4)Fish out the slack of the light pipe wiring with a hook tool or wire 5) Use Scotch 3 way connector to connect both the red and black wire to the created loom (assumes that you have fished your loom you made up and out of the area where the light pipe is fed) 6) Tuck the Scotch locks and your wiring back into the space from where you found them 7) make your splice color to color with the LED footwell kit both sides 7) neatly wire tie up excess away from sharp surfaces or moving parts 8) Test the lighting with your headlights on 9) Put all of the panels back on the dash and enjoy! Richard
    Did it change the brightness of any of the top dash lights? I might have to do this but I don't want to affect the top lights

motopsycho231 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 cts raven

I wired up the ambient pin light that is on the dome light control panel. It came out really nice and just puts a VERY soft glow onto the shifter. very clean and inconspicuous. I am not sure when Cadillac decided to utilize this but mine had the hole but no bulb or wiring. I tapped of the ignition power to the moon roof control.

copadosion is offline Cadillac Owners Member

That's a nice mod -- any notes/pictures on how to get this dome light done?

MionJaCon is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS COUPE

I can confirm that this mod is NOT compatible with the 2011 CTS Coupe (Premium). I called 4 dealers in the area and all of them told me the same thing. 3 of them said they wouldn't even attempt it. The 4th said they would try it, but there was a chance that the fuse would blow and I would have to bring it back in for maintenance. Seems like a cool mod, but not worth it in my mind. If anyone else finds more information, please let me know. Thanks.

doozmlk is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS4 Coupe Premium

I experienced the same thing with my 2011 cts premium coupe tried 3 dealers no luck, the saying was if the wiring is there then it will be installed if not then tough. And as we all know it isnt!!!! however on the caddy factory accessory site they seemed to have changed the picture for the footwell ambient lighting accessory on the 11 coupe. The new one has longer wires, may be a new lead for coupe owners???

akakillroy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium in White Diamond Tricoat

I ordered the front and rear kit and have it installed in my 2011 Premium. It is not hard, you have to tap into the existing pin3 white wire and add a little extra wire to connect the front lights but the rear kit is enough to get the rear lights connected. If you need more information let me know I have some photos/video and a description.

BeantownBully is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by akakillroy View Post
    I ordered the front and rear kit and have it installed in my 2011 Premium. It is not hard, you have to tap into the existing pin3 white wire and add a little extra wire to connect the front lights but the rear kit is enough to get the rear lights connected. If you need more information let me know I have some photos/video and a description.
    Was this installed in a 2011 coupe? I see that some people were having trouble with the 2011 install, so could you confirm that you were able to install without any additional supplies...

doozmlk is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS4 Coupe Premium

Hey Beantown,
    I did manage to add footwell ambients in my premium coupe, not through dealer but through the "Speaker wire" method. It is definitely worth the job.

BeantownBully is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by doozmlk View Post
    Hey Beantown,
    I did manage to add footwell ambients in my premium coupe, not through dealer but through the "Speaker wire" method. It is definitely worth the job.
    ok, thank you! i will order through the dealer and take it to my shop to get the install...

YSWEATME is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crystal Red/Ebony CTS Performance (FE2) Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by akakillroy View Post
    I'd like more info. I checked under mine and don't have the connectors needed. I'm interested in the front and rear. Thanks.

bphillips is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade 2008, Cadillac CTS 2011 Premium

If you could send me the details on how you did yours, killroy, that would be sweet.

I have a Premium 2011 CTS Sedan and would love to add the footwell lights. They're there on my brother's '08 CTS, but not mine, sadly.

cpirson is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Sport Wagon Premium

I just installed the Ambient Front Foot Well Light Kit, part no. 19211330, in my 2010 CTS Sport Wagon Premium. The car came with LED Interior Ambient Lighting (TSQ), which I believe is included as part of the Luxury Level One Package (Y40). I found that the wiring harness was there, so it was a simple plug & play install. I've read above that some folks with 2010's did not have the wiring, so I must have gotten lucky. The build date on my CTS is 09/09. Purchased from http://www.leeparts.com/cadillac_cts..._lamp_kit.html

FLTRI is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 V-Wagon & 2012 SRX Premium

Quote Originally Posted by Richard MacGregor View Post
    Guys,

I was disappointed to see that the plug-n-play plug was missing from my car's 2010 wiring loom as I'd already purchsed the kit. I decided to make my own loom to connect both sides to the source.
    Pulling a small pair of wires from the driver's to passenger's side was easy enough using old 16 gauge speaker wire left over from many old radio installs. It is light duty but is perfect for this LED lighting. Finding the source was as follows:

1)Remove the small left side wood grain trim at the left dash corner.....be gentle with a plastic tool, it pulls straight out off of clips. 2) remove the side dash cover next to the left door 3) Find the left dash light pipe and it's red and black wiring (same colors as the LED kit) 4)Fish out the slack of the light pipe wiring with a hook tool or wire 5) Use Scotch 3 way connector to connect both the red and black wire to the created loom (assumes that you have fished your loom you made up and out of the area where the light pipe is fed) 6) Tuck the Scotch locks and your wiring back into the space from where you found them 7) make your splice color to color with the LED footwell kit both sides 7) neatly wire tie up excess away from sharp surfaces or moving parts 8) Test the lighting with your headlights on 9) Put all of the panels back on the dash and enjoy!

Richard
    Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!!!

I received the front kit for Christmas. Read the instructions and headed to the garage for the 'plug-n-play' instal on my 2011 V-Wagon. You guessed it, no harness...

Googled the part number, and found this thread. After a quick trip to Radio shack for some wire taps and 2 conductor 22 gauge wire, I tore into the dash. 45 minutes later, and everything is up and running. Easy peasy...

Again, thanks for the post, Richard!!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.