Ambient light for front footwells - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Appearance Mods Discussion, Ambient light for front footwells in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; For effect/info I've linked-in below a photo of the 2008-09 CTS interior equipped with the TSQ accent lighting option. The ...
    RAB
    RAB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

Re: Ambient light for front footwells

For effect/info I've linked-in below a photo of the 2008-09 CTS interior equipped with the TSQ accent lighting option.
    The image, borrowed from the (GM Canada) 2009 CTS brochure, includes footwell ambient lighting.

watchez is offline Cadillac Owners Member

What if your 2009 car doesn't have the package that includies ambient lighting-can we still use the footwell kit or will it have no juice?

RAB

Quote Originally Posted by watchez View Post
    What if your 2009 car doesn't have the package that includies ambient lighting-can we still use the footwell kit or will it have no juice?
    watchez, that's an excellent question.. and relates, of course, to the post from FrankRizzo on page 1 of this thread where he advises the retrofitted dash light pipes and footwell ambient lights are not functioning on his '08 CTS (which was not equipped at the factory with the TSQ Accent Lighting package).
    Now.. GM wouldn't be that stupid, would they??... offering these Footwell Ambient Light Kits for all 2008+ CTS's (regardless of original factory options on the vehicle)... but in reality the kits only being applicable to 2009 M-Y CTS's originally equipped with the TSQ package from the factory in which the Footwell Ambient Light Assys were yanked from production??!! If that turns out to be the case, GM will have a lot of explaining to do with customers.
    We need a forum member with a 2008 or 2009 CTS (with their car not equipped with the TSQ option) to lower one of the under dash panels on his or her vehicle and check for voltage with a multimeter at the available 2-pin receptacle/connector. If there is no voltage present at the connector with the Parking Lamps ON, then this lighting mod becomes instantly classified as a NO-GO for many 2008+ CTS owners.

FrankRizzo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS

There is no voltage at the connecters under any circumstances. I have located all four in the dash but have only tested the two on the passenger side for obvious reasons.

Hi RAB, I sent you a PM but haven't heard back, so here it is:

--------------------------------------------------------

I was able to locate the plugs for both the dash light pipes and the footwell lights. I did not check for voltage, but will do so. I can't image there is voltage however as none of them illuminate.

I realize that it is entirely possible that something was left out since my vehicle did not come with that option, however I would think that at least the footwell lighting would work as that is an aftermarket kit available from GM.

I do note that the rear footwell kit comes with a wire harness and instructions for tapping into a plug on the left side of the dash. If worse came to worse I could feed that to all four lights in question (assuming the light pipes and footwell lights take the same voltage).

I could also bring this up when I bring the car in for service: bought the footwell light kit and it does not light.... but I don't expect much help there without paying for it.

thanks again,
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by RAB View Post
    watchez, that's an excellent question.. and relates, of course, to the post from FrankRizzo on page 1 of this thread where he advises the retrofitted dash light pipes and footwell ambient lights are not functioning on his '08 CTS (which was not equipped at the factory with the TSQ Accent Lighting package).
    Now.. GM wouldn't be that stupid, would they??... offering these Footwell Ambient Light Kits for all 2008+ CTS's (regardless of original factory options on the vehicle)... but in reality the kits only being applicable to 2009 M-Y CTS's originally equipped with the TSQ package from the factory in which the Footwell Ambient Light Assys were yanked from production??!! If that turns out to be the case, GM will have a lot of explaining to do with customers.
    We need a forum member with a 2008 or 2009 CTS (with their car not equipped with the TSQ option) to lower one of the under dash panels on his or her vehicle and check for voltage with a multimeter at the available 2-pin receptacle/connector. If there is no voltage present at the connector with the Parking Lamps ON, then this lighting mod becomes instantly classified as a NO-GO for many 2008+ CTS owners.

rchern is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 Crystal Red CTS Coupe with Ebony Interior

Just to ask a stupid question, you did have the lighting in the night time mode when you tested it right?

RAB

Quote Originally Posted by FrankRizzo View Post
    There is no voltage at the connecters under any circumstances. I have located all four in the dash but have only tested the two on the passenger side for obvious reasons.

Hi RAB, I sent you a PM but haven't heard back, so here it is:

--------------------------------------------------------

I was able to locate the plugs for both the dash light pipes and the footwell lights. I did not check for voltage, but will do so. I can't image there is voltage however as none of them illuminate.

I realize that it is entirely possible that something was left out since my vehicle did not come with that option, however I would think that at least the footwell lighting would work as that is an aftermarket kit available from GM.

I do note that the rear footwell kit comes with a wire harness and instructions for tapping into a plug on the left side of the dash. If worse came to worse I could feed that to all four lights in question (assuming the light pipes and footwell lights take the same voltage).

I could also bring this up when I bring the car in for service: bought the footwell light kit and it does not light.... but I don't expect much help there without paying for it.

thanks again,
    Frank
    Hi Frank. Thanks for the update. I did receive your PM a few days ago, but was waiting to hear back on your voltage checks before responding.
    There's obviously something missing in the circuitry that's preventing a power source in reaching your connectors. I'm beginning to think that the application of option TSQ at the factory adds one or more ancillary items to the interior lighting circuit (such as a jumper or a fuse or perhaps some sort of voltage conversion component) that is not present on vehicles produced without option TSQ.
    The fibre optic dash light pipes you purchased/installed, and the footwell ambient light kits that we've both installed.. I am wondering/guessing that all of these light assys utilize LED-type bulbs as a light source. The color of the presented light would certainly suggest LED. Generally speaking.. LED's operate on a much lower voltage than would incandescent bulbs. Without a proper current & voltage limiting circuit in place.. and then applying a raw power source to an unprotected LED (such as 12 volts from a car battery).. that LED would be toast in a millisecond. That's what has me thinking about a voltage conversion component (or similarly named device to that effect) that might be missing in your car and that would otherwise be providing a power source for your retrofitted accent lights.
    Later on this afternoon I'm going to grab one of my multimeters and go out to my CTS to check the voltage at the connector for one of my new front footwell ambient lights. I'll update the thread tonight with that voltage info. It may be of no help, but could provide a talking point.
    As mentioned earlier on.. sure wish we had an electrical schematic of your '08 CTS!
    Later,
    RAB.

RAB

Frank... further to my previous post, I checked the voltage at the connector for one of my new front footwell ambient lights (specifically the driver's side).. and with the engine shut down and the lights ON the voltage at the connector was 12V. When I operated the instrument panel dimmer/rheostat from max to min, the voltage at the connector went from 12V to just under 1V. Looks like the accent lights (LED or not) require a 12V feed with instrument light dimmer set for full light intensity.
    I had a look at at the fuse panel in the trunk (right side of trunk behind the drop-down trim piece) as well as the fuse panel under the hood (to the left of the engine), and could find no fuses, relays, etc. related to interior dash & accent lights. I also removed the side covers at both ends of my dash, and similarly could not find an additional fuse panel beyond the two I've mentioned. To solve your lighting problem we need to figure out which circuitry powers the interior accent lighting, and where the protection (fuses) for that circuitry reside. There's a dealer tech (works for Lindsay Cadillac?) who posts in this forum. I think it would be a good idea for you to send him a PM and ask for assistance (information), if he is willing to help out.
    Another alternative is to purchase the service manuals(s) for your CTS (which would include electrical circuitry & troubleshooting info), but I'd guess the manuals would not be cheap. I've never priced them.
    That's the latest. Let's communicate further on your lighting issue via PM's. Hopefully we'll get to the bottom of this.
    Regards,
    RAB.

RAB

UPDATE

Based on the info obtained from forum members rchern and FrankRizzo...
    For those forum member considering the purchase & application of the Front Footwell Ambient Light Kit on their 2008+ CTS, it is recommended that you carry out the following on your vehicle before buying the kit:

1. Lower the driver & passenger side under-dash panels. This requires you to:
    a) Remove three (3) philips-head screws from the under-dash panel on the driver side.
    b) Remove two (2) philips-head screws as well as two (2) 7 mm hex-head screws from the under-dash panel on the passenger side.

2. With the under-dash panels lowered, check for the existence of an available 2-pin connector on the top of each panel.
    If you can find no available 2-pin connector at the subject two locations on your vehicle, then the ambient light assy(s) would have no place to plug into. If this is the case, close everything back up and forget about this mod.
    > If you've confirmed the existence of available 2-pin connectors on your vehicle, proceed to step 3.

3. With the instrument lights switched ON (stalk-mounted light control switch turned to the Parking Lamp position, and a rag or similar placed over the ambient light sensor on the dash top)... Using a volmeter (multimeter) set to DC volts... check for the presence of voltage at the available under-dash 2-pin connectors. With the dash-mounted instrument light dimmer (rheostat) set for full brightness, the voltage measured at the connectors should be approximately 12VDC. (Note that the pins inside these connectors are positioned very close together, so be very careful not to short them out while taking your measurements).
    If you discover that you have zero volts at the connectors, close everything back up and forget about this mod.
    > If you've confirmed there's voltage at the connectors, you're good to go - proceed with the mod (you're safe to purchase the kit).

RAB.

huge.eug is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4; 2010 SRX 2.8T

Just performed this addition to my 2009 CTS4. Worked well, and fairly easy to do. Installed same time I decided to change out the pedals for the sport pedals (which was a pain).

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

If the two pin connector reads zero volts, run a jumper wire from the positive side of the connector to the positive side of the under dash courtesy light, you will need to ground the other wire but you can find a ground anywhere. This will give you power to your ambient light and you can do the same for your light pipes. You will also be able to adjust intensity with the on dash rheostat.

Club Malibu is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V, White, Manual, Bone stock, no sun-roof

Quote Originally Posted by C "T" ess View Post
    If the two pin connector reads zero volts, run a jumper wire from the positive side of the connector to the positive side of the under dash courtesy light, you will need to ground the other wire but you can find a ground anywhere. This will give you power to your ambient light and you can do the same for your light pipes. You will also be able to adjust intensity with the on dash rheostat.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

sfv41901 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS

According to my service rep.....the BCM is what controls the power to the ambient lighting. If the plugs arnt getting power, then he says that they need to re-program the BCM with the TSQ feature. I also got the wiring schematic for it. Let me know & I'll scan it.

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by sfv41901 View Post
    According to my service rep.....the BCM is what controls the power to the ambient lighting. If the plugs arnt getting power, then he says that they need to re-program the BCM with the TSQ feature. I also got the wiring schematic for it. Let me know & I'll scan it.
    I'd be interested to see if this would actually work. I believe the Tech 2 is VIN driven and allowing the BCM to be reprogrammed to allow for an option not part of the original build may be a problem. I'm just wondering.

sfv41901 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by C "T" ess View Post
    I'd be interested to see if this would actually work. I believe the Tech 2 is VIN driven and allowing the BCM to be reprogrammed to allow for an option not part of the original build may be a problem. I'm just wondering.
    My service advisor was telling me that he had a customer with an Escalade that needed a new BCM. She ended up going back after the replacement because they didnt load all the features that the old BCM had, so in theroy, if they forgot some & can go back in to add them, then it should work adding the TSQ feature.

nguyendot is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 Black CTS 3.6DI D3 intake, Magnaflow Exhaust w/xpipe

nevermind, found the thread with the answers.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.