Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Adding Fog Lamps to non-performance package CTS

61K views 72 replies 35 participants last post by  redheadedrod 
#1 ·
Has anyone been able to add the fog lamp assembly to a CTS 2008+ that only had the plastic placeholder inserts? Is the fog light wiring there for all cars or is it special for the performance packages?

#28 ·
Bought the chrome bezels from Lynch Cadillac in Auburn, AL for $162 and found the pair of complete fog lights with mounting assembly, lenses, bulbs for $108 on Amazon.com. Assemblies bolt right in. Havent done wiring yet but got pair of H11 connectors at Autozone for $16. Got relays and wiring for my harness already just need to get my car up on my lift and start putting my harness together.

#34 ·
I see that there are 2 mounting tabs on the fog light assemblies, where do these mount to?
To answer my own question, the second mounting tab is there because the same part is used for either side so you would use one or the other.

I installed the fogs wiring them to the low beams. I'm hoping the load won't be too high since I also installed 35w HID low beams. As per instructions I also change to 20 amp fuses.

#37 ·
I'm attempting the same for my caddy too. I've got the oem switch (which was the easiest of the whole process so far), the oem bezels, and oem lamps/housings. like others have said, when i turn the switch on it lights up the in-dash "fog light" indicator. what other's havn't mentioned is that (for me) it also turns the parking lights on. that tells me that the wiring IS there from the switch to the BCM already at least. i don't know how to tell if the wiring is there from the BCM to the relay box, however the fuse for FRT FOG and relay for FOG LAMP are both pre-installed. i thought originally that since i turn the switch on, and it turns the parking lights on, that the wiring MUST be there from the switch to the fuse box, but after reading other comments, that could be wrong. the switch wire going through the BCM could just be turning on the parking light relay ALSO. my question is, assuming the wire IS there from BCM to relay, where do i wire from fog lights to relay? i took the block apart, and found a diagram that shows block pin #45 as the fog lamp relay control. i figure i just put the switch leg wire into pin #45, and the other wire in with one of the orange wires (which i'm thinking is battery positive voltage since theres about 10 orange wires in various pins in the same block) that the existing FOG LAMP relay would close the contact when i turn the switch on. i've tried this though and it doesn't work. can i assume because of this there is in fact no wire between the BCM and the relay box?

#41 ·
i have a subwoofer in my trunk (2008 cts) and since the radio stays on when engine is off you have to get a "power killer". i dont know the real name other than it is a SNI-35. it is made by pac audio, if there were a way, couldnt you just hook this up to your battery and add your own discrete switch, saay behind thye parking brake perhaps. then just click it "on" and leave it like that. then with the SNI-35 the lights will turn on when engine is started and turn off when it is stopped.

the new 2014 CTS' have fog lights on 24/7 so why cant we?

#42 · (Edited)
couldnt you just hook this up to your battery and add your own discrete switch, saay behind thye parking brake perhaps. then just click it "on" and leave it like that. then with the SNI-35 the lights will turn on when engine is started and turn off when it is stopped.
A much simpler way is to just use a relay to turn the fogs on whenever the headlights are on. This is how mine are wired up and it works great. You can pick up a simple 4 prong relay from any auto parts store for $5-$10. You can also get a relay wire harness from ebay complete with wiring for the same price.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trk...nkw=H11+relay+wire+harness&_sacat=0&_from=R40

If I remember correctly the HID harness has a slightly different plug end than the H11 bulbs so you would have to get the correct plugs to replace them. The pins will pull out of the plugs and fit right into the H11 plugs,

#43 · (Edited)
I got the factory fog light option, thinking that it would be a worthwhile for extra safety. Unfortunately, I really don't see the advantage on the 2nd gen CTS. On my first gen 2004, it was pretty obvious that they lit up dark areas in front of the car, especially when driving outside the city. However, on my 2010, I really can't see that they do any good at all.

#45 ·
jellyhead said:
A much simpler way is to just use a relay to turn the fogs on whenever the headlights are on. This is how mine are wired up and it works great. You can pick up a simple 4 prong relay from any auto parts store for $5-$10. You can also get a relay wire harness from ebay complete with wiring for the same price.,
Hey thanks a lot. Great idea by the way. I was Al's thinking, why not just a switch that you hide behind parking break.

----------

Also*

#46 ·
#48 ·
#54 ·
Welcome to the forum. Most questions can be answered by using the 'Google Custom Search' box located at the top right of this page. You might want to use something like.....2010 (or whatever year yours is) CTS Fog Lamps.

It would also help to know what year, model of CTS you have, AWD or RWD as that sometimes makes a difference. Where are you located?

Marv

#55 ·
i just purchased the cts-v madman aftermarket kit.
had to purchase a wiring harness with switch, and a lower bumper lip.
going to take it in to get painted next week after the holidays.
now i was going to wire the fog lights in with the purchased wiring harness and aftermarket switch, but i can get it work with OEM stalk that would be ideal
i would love to see a copy of GMPartsHouseOnline schematic... but i'm not going to pay $400 for it.
i've done some basic mods on my 2012 3.0 base, such as wiring in the homelink buttons on the overhead console... steering wheel and basic stuff like that
any help would be much appreciated

#56 ·
Does anyone have the schematics that show exactly how to hook this up? I have the shop manual but would save some time if someone could share the schematics and instructions.

I have some of the parts on their way to me now.

Rodney

#58 ·
I have everything to do this mod except for the wiring and the actual light modules which I have found for $60 for the pair.

Has anyone actually completed this using the factory stalk? The kit mentioned does NOT use the factory stalk to do this mod. It is a generic light kit.
I live in a heavy deer area and we have now been rated with the second worst winters in the US. Second only to Minnesota and I live in the "Lake effect snow" area just off the shore of lake michigan so bright fog lights are great.
I will be grabbing Phillips H9 bulbs and modifying them to fit the fog housings to get more than double the output of the H11's.

Just need to figure out how to wire them so they work right. Did anyone ever figure out how to get the right output from the BCM? COULD wire them to run off the low beams but having the fog lights on all the time is not a great idea and may be illegal.

Rodney

#59 ·
Don't wire them to the headlamps. The system is not designed to handle that kind of load. If you are not removing and replacing the left stalk then a simple switch to relay works. If you don't feel comfortable doing the work take it to any stereo shop, this sort of basic addition should be a simple task for them.

#60 ·
I have Stalk And Bezels. I am more qualified to do this work than most Stereo shops. I used to maintain a MECP licence up through the second of 3 levels and have some other electronics training. I have read through the whole thread but haven't seen a message yet where they got it working using the stalk through the BCM.

I know once I hook up this stalk the BCM will know I am asking for the fog lights to be on and will light up the dash..
I would be using a 30/40 amp Relay to actually power the Foglights. The positive for the relay coil will come from the low beam lights, the positive for the load side will come directly from a fused link to the battery and will have the normally open lead going to the fog lights. In theory I should be able to just connect the Negative of the coil to the BCM and be good to go.

I wired a relay in this fashion in my Truck for RAP (Retained Accessory Power) by using the BCM output normally going to the sunroof power relay. My truck doesn't have a sunroof. I used a .5 amp fast blow fuse to protect the BCM output in case of a short or issue in the relay. If that is all it takes to do the same in my car to run the fogs then I will wire up a relay in that manner.

#61 ·
I have Stalk And Bezels. I am more qualified to do this work than most Stereo shops. I used to maintain a MECP licence up through the second of 3 levels and have some other electronics training. I have read through the whole thread but haven't seen a message yet where they got it working using the stalk through the BCM.

I know once I hook up this stalk the BCM will know I am asking for the fog lights to be on and will light up the dash...
I believe that the system is designed to turn on the park lamps when you switch on fog lights. Therefore the dash lights would be on.

#62 ·
what about if you have an aftermarket wiring kit?
i have the madman cts-v front clip painted, assembled and ready to go (just waiting for it to warm up a bit). i have the fog lights in the bezels. now i have an aftermarket wiring kit, if i wanted to use the OEM left hand stalk with the fog light instead of the stock stalk how would i wire the aftermarket kit into the BCM?
i realize that the wiring is there for the new stalk to illuminate the dash light saying the fog lights are on... but where does the aftermarket hot wire go to turn on? and does switching on the new stalk turn something else on in the car telling it to power on the foglights?
now if i use an aftermarket switch (which i have) the installation is easy, but if i wanted a more OEM/Stock look where would i wire to?

thanks
-mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.