Adding Fog Lamps to non-performance package CTS - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree1Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Appearance Mods Discussion, Adding Fog Lamps to non-performance package CTS in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I just got the bezels and fog light assemblies. I see that there are 2 mounting tabs on the fog ...
    jellyhead is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: Adding Fog Lamps to non-performance package CTS

I just got the bezels and fog light assemblies. I see that there are 2 mounting tabs on the fog light assemblies, where do these mount to?

So you can't just tap into the low beams and have the fog lights come on whenever the low beams are on?

brothleutner is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 4

Probably not, you'd be pretty much doubling the current through the electrical components, I imagine you'd melt the headlight wires first.

blackduallie is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 cts4

I just added mine with hids and wired them to park lights and ground and only used one mount as there was no where to screw the second one. Never had no problems yet. Looks nice with 6000k hids and matching low beams.

Quote Originally Posted by jellyhead View Post
    I see that there are 2 mounting tabs on the fog light assemblies, where do these mount to?
    To answer my own question, the second mounting tab is there because the same part is used for either side so you would use one or the other.

I installed the fogs wiring them to the low beams. I'm hoping the load won't be too high since I also installed 35w HID low beams. As per instructions I also change to 20 amp fuses.

southshorematt is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac CTS4 AWD

i am thinking about adding fog lights, but will this void my warranty?

zcz1129 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

Quote Originally Posted by heb80 View Post
    Hi, heb, Could you please tell me how did you remove the black plastic dust? Great thanks!

noshelter is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS

I'm attempting the same for my caddy too. I've got the oem switch (which was the easiest of the whole process so far), the oem bezels, and oem lamps/housings. like others have said, when i turn the switch on it lights up the in-dash "fog light" indicator. what other's havn't mentioned is that (for me) it also turns the parking lights on. that tells me that the wiring IS there from the switch to the BCM already at least. i don't know how to tell if the wiring is there from the BCM to the relay box, however the fuse for FRT FOG and relay for FOG LAMP are both pre-installed. i thought originally that since i turn the switch on, and it turns the parking lights on, that the wiring MUST be there from the switch to the fuse box, but after reading other comments, that could be wrong. the switch wire going through the BCM could just be turning on the parking light relay ALSO. my question is, assuming the wire IS there from BCM to relay, where do i wire from fog lights to relay? i took the block apart, and found a diagram that shows block pin #45 as the fog lamp relay control. i figure i just put the switch leg wire into pin #45, and the other wire in with one of the orange wires (which i'm thinking is battery positive voltage since theres about 10 orange wires in various pins in the same block) that the existing FOG LAMP relay would close the contact when i turn the switch on. i've tried this though and it doesn't work. can i assume because of this there is in fact no wire between the BCM and the relay box?

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

If you decide to tap into the parking lamp circuit that you use a relay, this could help reduce the risk of melting anything. Also use an inline fuse on the power line. This should keep you relatively safe.

Rufflyer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by jef9876 View Post
    I have been wanting to add fogs to my 2010. Just a thought, if adding the OEM combo switch causes the fog indicator in the IP to light, why could we not use the voltage from that lamp to trigger an external relay, then connect the our fog lamps to this. Would we not have OEM type control?
    Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the instrument panel? This seems the best approach if there is an individual circuit for the lamp.

jimmie jam is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS LUXE

This is getting interesting...perhaps a call to one of the aftermarket companies that do the custom "halo" light OEM assembly mods for electrical direction?

exhaust_freak is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 3.6l DI

i have a subwoofer in my trunk (2008 cts) and since the radio stays on when engine is off you have to get a "power killer". i dont know the real name other than it is a SNI-35. it is made by pac audio, if there were a way, couldnt you just hook this up to your battery and add your own discrete switch, saay behind thye parking brake perhaps. then just click it "on" and leave it like that. then with the SNI-35 the lights will turn on when engine is started and turn off when it is stopped.

the new 2014 CTS' have fog lights on 24/7 so why cant we?

Quote Originally Posted by exhaust_freak View Post
    couldnt you just hook this up to your battery and add your own discrete switch, saay behind thye parking brake perhaps. then just click it "on" and leave it like that. then with the SNI-35 the lights will turn on when engine is started and turn off when it is stopped.
    A much simpler way is to just use a relay to turn the fogs on whenever the headlights are on. This is how mine are wired up and it works great. You can pick up a simple 4 prong relay from any auto parts store for $5-$10. You can also get a relay wire harness from ebay complete with wiring for the same price.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40

If I remember correctly the HID harness has a slightly different plug end than the H11 bulbs so you would have to get the correct plugs to replace them. The pins will pull out of the plugs and fit right into the H11 plugs,

CTS-QC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS 3.6L V6 RWD Performance

I got the factory fog light option, thinking that it would be a worthwhile for extra safety. Unfortunately, I really don't see the advantage on the 2nd gen CTS. On my first gen 2004, it was pretty obvious that they lit up dark areas in front of the car, especially when driving outside the city. However, on my 2010, I really can't see that they do any good at all.

with HID headlights there really is no need for the fogs except that there is a place for them and it seems as though something is missing when they aren't there. I also like the way it looks with headlights and fogs on, I just wish they were the latest LED style.

exhaust_freak is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 3.6l DI
    Quote Originally Posted by jellyhead

A much simpler way is to just use a relay to turn the fogs on whenever the headlights are on. This is how mine are wired up and it works great. You can pick up a simple 4 prong relay from any auto parts store for $5-$10. You can also get a relay wire harness from ebay complete with wiring for the same price.,
    Hey thanks a lot. Great idea by the way. I was Al's thinking, why not just a switch that you hide behind parking break.

----------

Also*

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.