CTS Rear Spoilers
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Appearance Mods Discussion, CTS Rear Spoilers in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Hello, We are offering free shipping on our rear deck lid spoilers and rear roof spoilers for a limited time. ...
    Dr. Design is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): STS, XLR, STS V-Series, CTS V-Series, XTS....

CTS Rear Spoilers

Hello,
    We are offering free shipping on our rear deck lid spoilers and rear roof spoilers for a limited time. For more information or to place your order, please contact us at the number listed below.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
    D3 Cadillac

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

The Black Dahlia is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS (NOW), 2004 CTS (Then), 2008 CTS (Then)

Re: CTS Rear Spoilers

As soon as the rear diffuser is in, call me! We gotta install my rear decklid and roof spoiler also!

I shall be transforming my CTS into a //D3 & Allen Signature Series.. Oh how sweet it is! I will most definately get some pics up when done! Maybe a bikini photoshoot is in order for such a transformation! (Not me in the bikini, btw)

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

Indeed!!

Hey here's a question for D3 though; this trunk spoiler and roof spoiler say they require no cutting and drilling, so i take it they are held on by double sided tape?

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

I'm not too sure I would want to drive around with a spoiler, simply taped onto my car. I'd hate to think what would happen the first time you hit 25 mph.
    I bought the OEM spoiler on ebay. It came painted (a perfect match) but drilling was required to install it to the trunk. They gave all of the templates and everything you needed except the drill bit. It was an easy install and after a year on the car it still looks as new as the car itself. For under $175 not a bad deal. They also show the type II, a lip spoiler like D3's, it comes painted for about $200.

crystal_red is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS DI AWD FE2 CRYSTAL RED TINTCOAT/LIGHT TITANIUM

I can vouch for the double sided tape install. I have the E&G spoiler and mounted it according to their instructions with tape only. It's been on my car for months now and has not budged at all. That includes many washes, rain, and high speed driving too. The way the spoiler is attached is the key here and the E&G design utilizes additional taped on hidden hardware to insure a very strong fit. I can't say whether or not other companies do this, but I am very pleased with E&G.

TheCaptain is offline Canadian SRX Mod
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Phantom Grey Metallic

Nice to see that, and thanks crystal red!

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

That's great to hear, I never thought tape would be strong enough to hold the spoiler.

crystal_red is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS DI AWD FE2 CRYSTAL RED TINTCOAT/LIGHT TITANIUM

I should have taken pics and posted them of the install. There are two aluminum brackets about a foot long each and bent at an angle to match the brake light spoiler interface. They are mounted with tape on top of the brake light and attach to the inside of the spoiler at that point also with tape. In addition, tape goes on the top forward trunk portion of the spoiler and the two extensions on the back of the trunk on the right and left side. The key is surface prep and the use of 3M adhesion booster. Once mounted correctly in this manner, that spoiler ain't goin' anywhere!
    Here's a link to the instructions if anyone is curious:
    http://www.egclassic.com/inventory/u...rsion2.qxd.pdf

Dr. Design is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): STS, XLR, STS V-Series, CTS V-Series, XTS....

Hello,
    Didnt see the question until now. Yes, the spoilers use a very strong 3M panel attachment tape to hold the spoilers in place. You will not have any issues with this as we have tested spoilers up to speeds of 140+ in testing in the heat without any issues.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
    D3 Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
    Indeed!!

Hey here's a question for D3 though; this trunk spoiler and roof spoiler say they require no cutting and drilling, so i take it they are held on by double sided tape?

BobAruba is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 Cadillac ATS

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Design View Post
    Hello,
    Didnt see the question until now. Yes, the spoilers use a very strong 3M panel attachment tape to hold the spoilers in place. You will not have any issues with this as we have tested spoilers up to speeds of 140+ in testing in the heat without any issues.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
    D3 Cadillac
    Dr. D, I agree with you that 3M's auto acrylic plus double-sided tape is an outstanding way to secure most rear spoilers (particularly with a considerable amount of contact area).

I know that this thread is over 3-1/2 years old but the information within it is priceless. I am only relating my experience with 3M auto acrylic plus double sided tape PN: 06383 (3M stock number: 70016040001 / UPC: 0-51131-06383-9) 7/8" x 20 yds.

The following tips should be observed by anyone installing their rear spoiler using 3M double-sided tape. Especially important and very helpful is tip #1 as given to me by an experienced and successful body shop owner.

TIP #1: 3M Tape is EXTREMELY sticky once exposed! The installation process can be screwed up easily without using a water mister / spray bottle to assist you in the installation process. So, I found that spraying the exposed tape as well as the whole mounting surface with water mist will allow you a brief “installation window” to enable you to position your spoiler exactly as needed.

TIP #2: Placing painters tape over portions of the spoiler paying close attention to the side spears after they are secured to the body will hold the spears in close to the body while the 3M tape bonds overnight for a perfect fit.

TIP #3: Adhesive silicones and / or adhesion promoters are often used in conjunction with provided 3M tape for long lasting durability. For best results, installation should be conducted in temperatures above 72º (I suggest above 80º). A hot summer day out in the sun will be ideal in providing you with enough heat to evaporate any remaining water.

Refer to tape manufacturers recommendations for full details.

IMPORTANT: DO NOT clean, wash, wax or drive for a minimum of 12 hours after installation.

If you follow the instructions for mounting your spoiler with 3M tape and allow the full adhesive quality of the 3M tape to bond overnight / minimum of 12 hours you’ll have a properly secured spoiler without any drilling on the rear of your CTS.

I have used this procedure in the past on C5 Corvettes and have had no problems with a taped on spoiler at any speed on fast blacktop on a hot, dry day or in a driving rain storm while using 3M tape PN: 06383.

Happy Holidays and drive safely.

Semper Fi!
    Huurraah!
    Bob

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.