Painted Grille
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Appearance Mods Discussion, Painted Grille in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Hey all, Just wondering if anyone has painted their front grille ribs and lip spoiler the same as their body ...
    caddolicious is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS DI AWD

Painted Grille

Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone has painted their front grille ribs and lip spoiler the same as their body colour. I truly appreciate the original design of the CTS grille, however, I believe the exposed plastic destroys the cohesiveness of the design. I think that painted grille ribs and lip would blend the stark grille perfectly with the rest of the design.

I have made an illustration below of the unpainted and painted parts. Could someone please provide real life pictures of such a mod?

How much would much would it cost to paint such parts? I really haven't the foggiest what it would cost.

Cheers.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

The Black Dahlia is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS (NOW), 2004 CTS (Then), 2008 CTS (Then)

Re: Painted Grille

Thats a great idea, my friend! I haven't seen JUST the ribs painted on the stock grille keeping the back gray. It will either need to be professionally done by taking the grille apart (best way) or just taping off the back and spraying it. $350-550 depending on location and body shop.

A few people on the forum have painted the front lip and rear valance. Looks good. A great (less expensive) alternative to going with D3 front/rear fascia or VTXi ground effects from Vogue Tyre.

Nice chop job, I might add!

cts2008lover is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I also think about this and I am collecting and research information where to paint or get paint..

So far, I found this and I am waiting for the spring...

12.5oz Spray Can for White Diamond Tri Coat
    Basecoat $49.90
    Clearcoat $12.25
    Primer $11.50

Zymurgy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 SRX and 2006 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by cts2008lover View Post
    I also think about this and I am collecting and research information where to paint or get paint..

So far, I found this and I am waiting for the spring...

12.5oz Spray Can for White Diamond Tri Coat
    Basecoat $49.90
    Clearcoat $12.25
    Primer $11.50
    Try AutomotiveTouchup.com.

Quantity of 1 of Item# WA800J - "2008 Cadillac CTS, 12 oz Aerosol Spray Paint:White Diamond Prl" priced at $39.90
    Quantity of 1 of Item# AER-CC - "12 oz Aerosol High Gloss Clear Coat" priced at $7.95
    Quantity of 1 of Item# AER-AP - "Aerosol Plastic Parts Adhesion Promoter" priced at $7.95
    These prices are for 12 oz vs 12.5 oz, but they are considerably cheaper than the prices you have. I have used them for paint to match my Monterey Red Metallic Corvette (for various engine compartment items) and have had good results.

The $39.90 is actually for two cans. One can of base coat and one can of mid coat.

Quote Originally Posted by caddolicious View Post
    Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone has painted their front grille ribs and lip spoiler the same as their body colour. I truly appreciate the original design of the CTS grille, however, I believe the exposed plastic destroys the cohesiveness of the design. I think that painted grille ribs and lip would blend the stark grille perfectly with the rest of the design.

I have made an illustration below of the unpainted and painted parts. Could someone please provide real life pictures of such a mod?

How much would much would it cost to paint such parts? I really haven't the foggiest what it would cost.

Cheers.
    There was a forum vendor selling just what you suggest (no longer a vendor). However, there are some photos in this thread.

caddolicious is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS DI AWD

Thanks for the feedback.

So do you guys honestly think that you can do the same quality work as a professional with a simple spray can?

I have done "touch-up" work with a spray can, but I never have painted whole sections of body work. What are your experiences using spray cans for such body work?

Finally, can the front lip spoiler and rear valence easily be removed? Or does it require removing the whole front and rear bumper covers?

Cheers.

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

I did mine, but once I separated the grill surround from the egg crate portion, I had the dealer paint the frame ($109) I also painted the egg crate portion but I did that part myself in two stage platinum. Reassembly and installation was no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by caddolicious View Post
    Thanks for the feedback.

So do you guys honestly think that you can do the same quality work as a professional with a simple spray can? ...
    Cheers.
    Personally, no I don't think you can achieve the same quality work as a professional would. Spray cans are not the equivalent of a professional spray gun.

As I said, I have painted items for my engine compartment, but I would not attempt to paint an exterior body component this way.

Here's a photo of some of the engine compartment components that I have spray painted using a "simple spray can":

Installed:

I have also successfully painted brake calipers this way:

Still, I would not attempt to paint the CTS grille this way.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.