Replaced OEM fog lamp bulbs with Hoen xenonmatch superwhite bulbs
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Appearance Mods Discussion, Replaced OEM fog lamp bulbs with Hoen xenonmatch superwhite bulbs in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I observed that the original OEM 'Osram' H11 halogen bulbs installed in the fog lamp housings looked yellow in comparison ...
    RAB
    RAB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

Replaced OEM fog lamp bulbs with Hoen xenonmatch superwhite bulbs

I observed that the original OEM 'Osram' H11 halogen bulbs installed in the fog lamp housings looked yellow in comparison to the super white color of the xenon HID headlamps, ice cube optic DRL's and LED light pipes. I decided to order a pair of H11 Hoen 55W superwhite xenonmatch bulbs. Received the new bulbs today, and installed them straight away. I'm extremely pleased with the outcome. The difference is really pronounced when viewing in person. The 'fogs' look great now, although it's somewhat difficult to convey the difference/effect in photos.
    Regardless, I've attached a few photos here along with some comment:

Looking straight-on at the car, the L/S fog lamp bulb in the photo is original OEM Osram, and the R/S side is Hoen xenonmatch. The difference in light color is very apparent in person, but not overtly so in photos.
    IMG_0501_small.jpg

The bulb on the left is OEM Osram, the one on the right is Hoen xenonmatch.
    IMG_0503_small.jpg

[Note: Suggest ignore the instructions in the owners manual for fog lamp bulb change out, which are vague at best].
    To access/replace the fog lamp bulb on a given side of the vehicle, turn the wheel/tire fully inward on the side being worked on. Remove the three pertinent (you'll figure it out) plastic push-pins to allow the fender/wheel-well liner to be pulled away from the fender, to expose the fog lamp housing within.
    IMG_0510_small.jpg

With the 3 push-pins removed, manoever/pull the wheel-well liner away from the fender with one hand and with the other hand reach in and grab the fog lamp base/bulb assy and twist it in a counter-clockwise direction until the base/bulb are freed from the fog lamp housing. Replace the bulb, and then apply the base to the fog lamp housing at a 4 o'clock orientation, then turn the base/bulb assy in a clockwise direction to the 6 o'clock position to lock it in place. Do NOT touch the glass on the new bulb during any part of the process. Re-install the wheel-well liner to its proper position/alignment, and re-install the plastic push-pins to secure the liner.
    IMG_0507_small.jpg

The fog lamps now color-match all the front lights extremely well. They look great!
    IMG_0515_small.jpg

IMG_0519_small.jpg

IMG_0526_small.jpg

Hope this info/instruction helps. Hey, just do it!! - I guarantee you'll like it.
    Rab.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

urbanski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

Re: Replaced OEM fog lamp bulbs with Hoen xenonmatch superwhite bulbs

hey that rocks!

RippyPartsDept is online now Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

YEAH... nice little guide ... with photos and everthing

i especially liked the "you'll figure it out" part

LUVMY04V is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 04 cadillac cts v

watch out for heat problems watch carefully

ive heard great things about hoen though

RAB

Quote Originally Posted by luvmy03caddy View Post
    watch out for heat problems watch carefully

ive heard great things about hoen though
    Good point. I had some concerns about additional heat prior to ordering the Hoen replacements, but decided it should be a non-issue given the fact that the OEM H11 Osram's and the replacement H11 Hoen's are both filament-type gas charged bulbs, and both are rated at 55W.
    At their website, Hoen states, "All xenonmatch bulbs operate at vehicle manufacturer suggested wattages and are plug and play...".

The Hoen H11 bulbs I purchased are marketed as "xenonmatch", but they're absolutely not xenon HID lamps. Hoen's xenonmatch bulbs are designed to match the color of xenon HID lamps, but do not provide any additional light ouput compared to the original OEM H11 bulb.

Not sure if the different types of charge gas utilised by the manufacturers of 55W single filament H11 bulbs would result in some different capsule temperatures. For example, Osram charge their H11 bulb with gas from the halogen group, while Hoen apparently charge their xenonmatch bulb with xenon (Xe) gas. I think I'll send a note to Hoen and request operating temperature info for their H11 xenonmatch bulb vs. the conventional OEM H11 bulb.

RAB.

MoFex is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options

I had Hoens in my current car in fogs for the same reason you installed them - to match HID's. Now, the heat is not a problem as they both have the same wattage. So I would not be worry about that. However the Hoen does not last that long. Actually my lasted less than a year. If you can live with changing bulbs that often - go for that. Also thay have lower lumen output. At the end I switched to HIR - color does not match the HID's but they last much longer and the lumen output is twice the halogen ones.

BTW - nice job and good instractions! Oh, and if the look is what you were after I believe you achieved it!

Cadillacboy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

Great upgrade

Pucks is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac CTS

RAB - nice job . I disagree with one thing you said though - I think the difference is overtly noticeable in the pictures. Looks like a perfect match and much better looking than the stock bulb.

I've added this to my short list of mods:

1 - Replace license plate lights (Zymurgy find)
    2 - Replace fog bulbs as above.

Both are noticeablely better than stock and the price is right.

I'll most likely have the "least modded" CTS in 5 years, but these two are no-brainers!

And thanks for the instructions - I just need to go find the other thread to see where to order.

Jon
    Jon is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 09 CTS Premium 6 Speed, 04 CTS 3.6L, 2014 ATS 2.0T

Lookin good!

RAB

Quote Originally Posted by Pucks View Post
    RAB - nice job . I disagree with one thing you said though - I think the difference is overtly noticeable in the pictures. Looks like a perfect match and much better looking than the stock bulb.

I've added this to my short list of mods:

1 - Replace license plate lights (Zymurgy find)
    2 - Replace fog bulbs as above.

Both are noticeablely better than stock and the price is right.
    I'll most likely have the "least modded" CTS in 5 years, but these two are no-brainers!

And thanks for the instructions - I just need to go find the other thread to see where to order.
    Pucks, thanks for your positive feedback.

I washed & detailed my CTS4 yesterday afternoon, then went out for dinner and a drive around town last night with Mrs. Rab. There was no fog to contend with, but had the fog lamps on anyway. Have to say the replacement fog bulbs have turned out to be a great match color-wise to the HID headlamps and LED light pipes, which is what I was after. I'm very pleased with the outcome.

With either the original equipment Osram bulbs or the new Hoen bulbs that I installed, I've noticed there's not a heck of a lot of lumen output going on with the fog lamps on the new CTS. Not sure how effective they will actually be in a true fog situation, regardless of what H11 bulb is applied. HOWEVER.. the 'fogs' certainly look great when they're on! - - particularly with the superwhite bulbs. Hey, better to look good than be functional, right?! At least having these particular fogs lamps ON on clear nights won't irritate the drivers of oncoming vehicles.

BTW, I ordered the replacement bulbs directly from the Hoen website. Here's the link: http://www.hoen-usa.com/ . The Hoen (xenonmatch) bulbs are provided 2 to a pack, for US $30.00 plus shipping.

Still waiting for the LED license plate bulbs I ordered from V-LEDS.com (aka frickinbrite.com). They should arrive in the next couple of days. After applying those bulbs I'll be done 'modding' my new CTS4... at least until something else interesting comes along.

Zymurgy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 SRX and 2006 Corvette

Great job RAB! I used Hoens on my C6 fog lamps with the same results. Guess I'll have to order a set for the wife's CTS.

Warrior47321 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS DI/FE2/AWD/BlackRaven/Cashmere

Easy mod. Good directions. Looks great!

RAB

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior47321 View Post
    Easy mod. Good directions. Looks great!
    Hey Warrior47321 - glad to hear it worked out well for you.
    I think the swap to the superwhite foglamp bulbs is a must for anyone who pays attention to front end lighting detail.

lordbaby is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS DI FE3 PDQ Crystal Red/Ebony

fog lamp is for fog... does the ones your changed also for fog>?

RAB

Quote Originally Posted by lordbaby View Post
    fog lamp is for fog... does the ones your changed also for fog>?
    ... what was that again?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.