Replaced OEM fog lamp bulbs with Hoen xenonmatch superwhite bulbs - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Appearance Mods Discussion, Replaced OEM fog lamp bulbs with Hoen xenonmatch superwhite bulbs in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I'm retrofitting HIDs into the fogs.... let's see how bright those are!...
    nguyendot is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 Black CTS 3.6DI D3 intake, Magnaflow Exhaust w/xpipe

Re: Replaced OEM fog lamp bulbs with Hoen xenonmatch superwhite bulbs

I'm retrofitting HIDs into the fogs.... let's see how bright those are!

RAB
    RAB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

Re: Update wanted ...Hoen xenonmatch superwhite fogs

Quote Originally Posted by DMill View Post
    Hey RAB ... It's been 2-1/2 years since you installed the Hoen fogs. Do you still have the same CTS? If so, how long did the Hoens last? Thanks in advance.
    DMill, I don't have the same CTS now, however when I purchased my '09 CTS in early June 2009 I transferred the Hoen xenonmatch superwhite fog lamp bulbs from the '08 car (CTS4) to the '09 (CTS). The Hoen xenonmatch bulbs are still operating perfectly - no issues. They still look great and continue to match the color temperature of the HID's. I'm very pleased with how that mod worked out.

BTW, I'm REALLY enjoying my '09 CTS these days. It's a beautiful car, and I receive compliments about it regularly. It's the perfect luxury sport sedan for the times, all things considered. But then again, I'm biased.

RAB

Quote Originally Posted by RAB13 View Post
    I think I know the answer but I have to ask anyway. I changed fog lamps to a super white H11. Only trouble it came in at 100w's It looks great but heat is a concern. Before I use them for any length of time, Is this going to be a problem? To RAB, The change over you posted was easy and I thank you for the guidence. Just don't want to have melted lenses or worse. Thanks.
    RAB13, thanks for your comment - I appreciate the feedback. Glad to hear the change-over procedure worked well for you.
    When I replaced the OEM bulbs with the Hoen xenonmatch bulbs some 2 1/2 years ago, the replacement (Hoen) bulbs were (are) the same wattage as the original bulbs. I've never any heat issues with the Hoen bulbs. It appears the H11 bulbs you've installed have bumped up the wattage significantly. I would probably be a little concerned about that, particularly in absence of published tests for temperature rise within the fog lamp housing using a higher wattage bulb. The larger concern may in fact be the stock bulb socket and it's inherent ability (or potential lack thereof) to handle higher operating current and higher temperatures. I'd recommend to proceed carefully and monitor semi-frequently (at least for now) to check for evidence of heat damage. Good luck - I hope you have no issues with the bulbs you've applied.

RAB13 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS 3.5DI

RAB, Thanks for responding. I have monitered the heat on the outer lens and it is very hot to the touch! Because this is not a costly upgrade I will probably replace the 100w with the 55's. It is amazing how much better they look especially when you just have the tubes & fogs on around dusk.

RAB

RAB13, by the way... I've noticed there's a considerable amount of heat on the outer lens even with 55W bulbs installed. Do you have (or can you get access to) an infrared temperature sensor gun? It would be interesting to know the outer lens temperature (after a given amount of time) using a 100W bulb versus using a 55W bulb.
    As mentioned in previous post, my main concern would be the maximum amperage capability/rating of the original equipment bulb socket/connector.
    As a compromise between the OEM 55W bulbs and the 100W bulbs you've installed, I wonder if a 70-75W superwhite H11 bulb is available for this application?

DMill is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '09 1SB - Crystal Red w/Light Titanium

My thanks, too!

I also want to thank RAB for his reply, as it's nice to know the Hoens (55W) have a decent life span. Over Memorial Day week-end I drove from Seattle down to the Oregon coast (1st trip out of state since getting our CTS in Feb.) and used the Hoen fogs due to really poor weather. Was nice to have the extra lighting for others to see us.

I agree with RAB13 (you guys related? ) that the "tube" parking lights coupled with the whiter Hoen fogs do look COOL!

RAB13 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS 3.5DI

No relation that I know of except good taste in cars! RAB, Not sure about the temp sensor gun, and I didn't see any 75w on their website. Iv'e had them on the last couple of nights and will continue to check for problems but as I said I will probably take the safe way out and replace with the 55W.

bklynbob is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

Quote Originally Posted by nguyendot View Post
    I'm retrofitting HIDs into the fogs.... let's see how bright those are!
    Not a good idea.
    http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html
    You could easily modify aBrighter H-9 to fit.The big problem to me is the beam adjustment.My 2010 lights up the ground and reflects the light (especially on wet pavement) back into the windshield........totally useless.

Quote Originally Posted by bklynbob View Post
    Not a good idea.
    http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html
    You could easily modify aBrighter H-9 to fit.The big problem to me is the beam adjustment.My 2010 lights up the ground and reflects the light (especially on wet pavement) back into the windshield........totally useless.
    Trust me, I know. If you check the STS forums I was on your side of the argument. They lit my rear up like sawdust. The fog lights on our cars are purely cosmetic, they don't actually help in fog anyways. I just wanted HIDs in there, for no reason other than I wanted HID.

It looks good, but yeah I need to adjust the beam, do you know how? Is it just that hex screw on top? Mine are pretty good straight on, but I would like to raise the drivers side a bit to match the passenger side. It's aimed a tad low so you can really see it hitting the ground.

Here are pics:

One HID in, one still halogen.

Both HIDs in.

Out of focus...for the sparkle. (dazzle)

Darker outside.

Fogs only

Fogs and headlights.

Fogs only

Headlights warming up with fogs.

Both warmed up.

One last shot.

So the question is about the cutoff. It's actually razor sharp. I was surprised that it didn't spray light all over and blind oncoming traffic. I will take pictures of the cutoff and post them later (forgot tonight).

The kit I bought is a no name from ebay, cost $.99 (cents) with $30 shipping (lol).

Can't complain.

Headlights are 4300k stock, fogs 6000k.

I guess people want to believe what they want to believe,regardless of the facts.Or perhaps they know more than the engineers who desisn the optics. look at this: http://forums.startsampling.com/showthread.php?t=4112 read the paragraph where it says "consequences"

bad link above www.safercar.gov click on "recall", put in ths recall campaign number, 10e009000

Dude, I didn't say I didn't believe you. I told you, I argued your side of the argument on the STS forums already, and they ripped me a new one. I'm not arguing the facts, I didn't use spectrometer or meter of any kind. I know that retrofitting HID into a non HID housing is not DOT approved. I know it can "dazzle" oncoming drivers because of the uneven light spray. I know it may overheat, I know that the light pattern can be far from optimal. Also, all HID kits aren't alike. The Horizontal vs Vertical light arc affects the light spray, and the focal point does as well, since it might not be at the same point in the projector.

Trust me, I know.

I'm the last person you need to preach about HID retrofit, but honestly I did it for the look, that's it. I rarely drive with the HIDs on, and from what I'm seeing on the light cutoff (you can see it in the shots I put above across the streeet...the cut off is razor sharp), they're not doing any harm. I've read every article you've posted, and more already.

I'll have my friends go head on with me and see if they're any worse than my headlights (which ARE retarded bright).

But as of right now, I like the beam pattern, light output, and overall looks. I'd be far more worried about the guys putting 22" rims that are 4x heavier than stock and cause their cars to stop 100ft longer from 60...

TeamZambo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Crystal Red 2008 CTS FE2, Pearl 2010 ESV Plat

I installed Hoen's Xenonmatch fogs and dont know if I am really happy with them. They are not bright at all, at least the stock fogs were a bit brighter. Anyone know of a brighter fog? I drive a lot(in the mid of no where) and need all the light I can get.

DMill is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '09 1SB - Crystal Red w/Light Titanium

Arrow Re: Replaced OEM fog lamp bulbs with Hoen xenonmatch superwhite bulbs

TeamZambo - From the sounds of your post, you don't need brighter fog lights. You need some driving lights that are more of a pencil-beam
    than the spread-beam of that fogs give you. Don't know of anyone that has converted their CTS fogs to a driving light as it involves changing the
    reflector ... but I'm sure it should be do-able.

Any of the collective 2nd gen. CTS owners research this possibility? I personally think a good auxillary driving light would be more useful than the
    fogs, which are (IMHO) only cosmetic.

TeamZambo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Crystal Red 2008 CTS FE2, Pearl 2010 ESV Plat

1 week old HOEN Xenonmatch H11 bulbs for sale, paid 39 for them. 30.00 shipped PM Me.

They look great, I just need more light since I drive out in the Mid of no where at night.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.