Replaced OEM fog lamp bulbs with Hoen xenonmatch superwhite bulbs - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Appearance Mods Discussion, Replaced OEM fog lamp bulbs with Hoen xenonmatch superwhite bulbs in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Originally Posted by RAB ... what was that again? is the bulb you changed a fog lamp bulb or driving ...
    lordbaby is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS DI FE3 PDQ Crystal Red/Ebony

Re: Replaced OEM fog lamp bulbs with Hoen xenonmatch superwhite bulbs

Quote Originally Posted by RAB View Post
    ... what was that again?
    is the bulb you changed a fog lamp bulb or driving lamp bulb

gm_eng is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 SRX & 2010 Corvette Grand Sport Convertible

The H11 bulb is the same in both applications. What makes the difference between a fog light and a driving light is the lens the light shines through. A fog light lens focuses the light out wide and down, while a driving light focuses it out ahead of the car. Kind of like twisting the lens on a Maglight. Twisting one way to spread the beam out wide or the other way to a more narrow beam. Either way, it's still the same bulb.

I turn my fog lights on all the time. It lets me see the road better just in front of my car. I've already received my new, Hoen bulbs, but they are a Christmas present from my wife, so I haven't installed them yet.

In the past, when I've bought aftermarket fog lights, I've noticed they can be purchased with either clear or amber lens. Anyone noticed a difference in lighting performance when changing from the more yellow, OE bulb to the whiter, Hoen bulb?

MoFex is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options

Hoen do not last as long as OEM's. Also the light output, despite the light being whitwr is somewhat deemed.
    It was my perception confirmed by measurements.
    So if one is after the apperance - Hoen is OK. If you need more light output - this is a wrong choice....

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

hmmm interesting

The Tony Show is offline See you in the funny papers
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(

The main purpose of a foglight is to catch the reflectors in the sides of the lane or road, not to pierce through the fog.

The reason the Hoens look more like Xenons is the blue color of the glass- running the light through blue glass filters out the yellow in the spectrum and the eye sees more of a bluish white color. I had the same lamps as low beam replacements in my old MX-5 and liked them.

Nice.
    Rest in Peace, J.D. (aka Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

RAB
    RAB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by MoFex View Post
    Hoen do not last as long as OEM's.
    On my last vehicle ('02 Olds Aurora 4.0), the OEM fog lamps bulbs were still functioning after 6 years of vehicle operation. Even if the Hoen's last only 25% of that total time, I can live with that.
    Also the light output, despite the light being whitwr is somewhat deemed. It was my perception confirmed by measurements.
    A minor difference in light output between the OEM bulb and the xenonmatch bulb is not important to me. The fog lamps on the new CTS, by their basic design and choice of bulb (H11), don't throw a heck of a lot of light to begin with.
    So if one is after the apperance - Hoen is OK. If you need more light output - this is a wrong choice....
    I was strickly after the appearance. To me, the yellowish look of the OEM fog lamp bulbs look distinctly out of place when compared against the superwhite color of the HID's, hyper-vision DRL's and LED light pipes.
    I've attached a photo I took earlier on of the front end of my CTS4 with the OEM H11 fog lamps bulbs still applied. The yellowish light of these bulbs really apparent. The 2nd photo I've attached is again of my CTS, but with the Hoen xenonmatch bulbs applied. Quite a difference!

For those who require more light output from their fog lamps, a different application would be required - using either higher wattage halogen-type bulbs, or going the HID route. Gotta caution folks though who might venture down one of those paths... you have to consider all the issues of additional wattage as well as the addition of more more heat to the existing fog lamp housings... (not to mention the potential for non-availability of vehicle warranty should Murphy's Law weigh in big time). Good luck!

RAB.
    Attached Images

Zymurgy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 SRX and 2006 Corvette

What's the wattage of the stock H11s? What about using the Hoen Xeonmatch Plus? These are 80W bulbs and would give more light output (lumens). You might have to upgrade to heavy duty connectors, but Hoen offers these for $10/pair when ordered with the bulbs.

RAB

Quote Originally Posted by Zymurgy View Post
    What's the wattage of the stock H11s? What about using the Hoen Xeonmatch Plus? These are 80W bulbs and would give more light output (lumens). You might have to upgrade to heavy duty connectors, but Hoen offers these for $10/pair when ordered with the bulbs.
    Zymurgy, the wattage of the stock H11 bulb (Osram) is 55W, as is the Hoen H11 Xenonmatch standard bulb.
    The Hoen Xenonmatch Plus bulbs could work quite well lumens-wise.. but as you say there may be a need to upgrade to heavy duty connectors.
    The electrical load repesented by another 50 watts (25W x 2) using the Xenonmatch Plus fog lamps bulbs may not sound like much, but in a 12VDC system we're looking at an additional 4 amps of draw from the 'power grid'. And then there's the issue of additional heat within the lamp housings. Before proceeding with Xenonmatch Plus bulbs I'd be asking my dealer if such a change could impact warranty coverage should the electrical system stage a 'revolt'.. (pardon the pun ).

Quote Originally Posted by RAB View Post
    Zymurgy, the wattage of the stock H11 bulb (Osram) is 55W, as is the Hoen H11 Xenonmatch standard bulb.
    The Hoen Xenonmatch Plus bulbs could work quite well lumens-wise.. but as you say there may be a need to upgrade to heavy duty connectors.
    The electrical load repesented by another 50 watts (25W x 2) using the Xenonmatch Plus fog lamps bulbs may not sound like much, but in a 12VDC system we're looking at an additional 4 amps of draw from the 'power grid'. And then there's the issue of additional heat within the lamp housings. Before proceeding with Xenonmatch Plus bulbs I'd be asking my dealer if such a change could impact warranty coverage should the electrical system stage a 'revolt'.. (pardon the pun ).
    I'm going to take a look at the fuse box. Based on the diagram in the owners manual, the fog lamps have their own dedicated fuse. I'm guessing it is a 15 amp since the 2 factory fog lamps would draw 9.2 amps (cutting it too close to for a 10 amp fuse). The Xenonmatch Plus would draw 13.3 amps. So, if that is a 15 amp circuit, the Xenonmatch Plus should be OK.

Cadillacboy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

What a cool shot !
    Thanks, I am saving it now

I verified the fog lamp fuse is, in fact, a 15 amp fuse. So, the 80w Xenonmatch Plus are possible from the electrical load viewpoint. Does any body know how much additional heat the 80 watt will produce over the 55 watt bulbs?

st4422 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Premium Black Ice, 2009 CTS DI Thunder Gray

Quote Originally Posted by Zymurgy View Post
    I verified the fog lamp fuse is, in fact, a 15 amp fuse. So, the 80w Xenonmatch Plus are possible from the electrical load viewpoint. Does any body know how much additional heat the 80 watt will produce over the 55 watt bulbs?
    About 75-80% of energy required by incandescent bulbs is used producing heat, so figure 80-55=25 watts * .80 = 20 watts additional heat over a 55 watt bulb.

RAB

The webpage via the included link provides everything you will ever want to know about an H11 Halogen 12V 55W bulb... except the heat it produces!
    http://www.donsbulbs.com/cgi-bin/r/b...j19-2~ece.html
    Referencing ST4422's post above, the difference between an 80W halogen bulb and a 55W halogen bulb is "20 watts of additional heat", or essentially a 36% increase in heat production. What does this truly mean for the fog lamp housings on the '08 CTS? Damned if I know!
    Looks like we need a pioneer on this one. Zymurgy, are you leaning toward trying out the 80W Xenonmatch Plus bulbs? Per your recent post we seem to be okay with respect to electrical load. So.. when are you going to order the bulbs for the trial??!
    Regards,
    RAB.

st4422 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX Premium Black Ice, 2009 CTS DI Thunder Gray

To be slightly more precise, the 55 watt bulb produces about 44 watts worth of heat. The 80 watt bulb would produce 64 watts, 20 watts more than the 55 watt bulb or 44% more heat.

I don't know if this is a problem for the '08 CTS. Is the fog lamp housing completely enclosed or is there some ventilation? Apparently we need a guinea pig on this.

O2B2 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 08 CTS DI FE3

It also depends on how clean you keep the lenses. If snow or mud blocks the lens the heat will increase as the light is trapped from releasing heat.

Moving, the air movement should prevent any additional heat problem, but standing still or stop and go traffic could be, especially in the south or southwest in high temp days.

That's for the guys that run fogs' 24-7 in clear weather!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.