22" Wheel and Tire Question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS Appearance Mods Discussion, 22" Wheel and Tire Question in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I am looking to get a set of 22X9 wheels with a +40mm offset. What size tires do you think ...
    mossmissle is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac CTS

22" Wheel and Tire Question

I am looking to get a set of 22X9 wheels with a +40mm offset. What size tires do you think I need to run on my 08' CTS to make sure there is no rubbing?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: 22" Wheel and Tire Question

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbed Stealth View Post
    I currently I'm running a 245/30-22, I ran this size tire because I am going to drop my mine.

I have seen a 255/30-22. fits perfect, however a little tall for my liking.

bad63lac is running a 265/30-22 with a easy mod to stop rubbing.

I seen both of your threads with your CTS's (looks sweet by the why...glad I seen that before I bought some 20's). I just did not know since yours were 22X8.5 and he was a 22X9.5 if a 22X9 would require something different like a 255/30???

bad63lac is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '63 Series SixtyTwo Coupe, '65 Calais Coupe, '08 CTS4

255/30-22 will be OK for you. If it was me, I would still go with 265 though. The slight mod was not a problem at all. I'd rather have a hair more sidewall height. Also, the 265 is still a little stretched on my 9.5. I believe the range for a 265 is 8.5 to 9.5 and 9.0 is ideal.

Pretty much it comes down to the trade-off's. Each size has it's pluses and minuses.

mrplease is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS - white diamond on 22" tis 07's

245/30/22 look the best, and the diffenece in ride between a 245 & a 265 is un-noticable...

Quote Originally Posted by mrplease View Post
    245/30/22 look the best, and the diffenece in ride between a 245 & a 265 is un-noticable...
    First, no one brought up the "difference in ride" quality but since you did, lets be clear...

Your opinion is that YOU cannot notice a difference. This is assuming you've run both sizes from the same brand/model of tire on the same exact car, on the same exact day and before doing so, you fine tuned your superhuman powers in order to make mental measurements on such a fine scale.

The reality/fact is that the 265 will indeed "ride" better. There is more volume of air inside the tire, greater sidewall height, both of which will result in less road noize and more cushion to minor bumps which in turn works hand in hand with the suspension. This is science/fact not opinion.

Second, you're other opinion of which tires looks best seems to be solely based on the fact that you have that size tire on your wheels? (which are too big for a previous gen CTS. IMHO anything larger than 20" on that car looks riDONKulous)

Now again, if you are going to lower the car, go with the 245's, otherwise 255 or 265 because 245's will look too small on a stock height '08. The wheel gap will be greater than the sidewall height of the tire, which will give it that slight "4x4" type look (mainly on the rear wheels) that many people notice when going to lower profile tires.

Example: (Dubbed, I hope you dont mind, but I know you went with 245's with the intention to lower it, so I think you agree with this and where I'm coming from...)

Quote Originally Posted by bad63lac View Post
    First, no one brought up the "difference in ride" quality but since you did, lets be clear...

Your opinion is that YOU cannot notice a difference. This is assuming you've run both sizes from the same brand/model of tire on the same exact car, on the same exact day and before doing so, you fine tuned your superhuman powers in order to make mental measurements on such a fine scale.

The reality/fact is that the 265 will indeed "ride" better. There is more volume of air inside the tire, greater sidewall height, both of which will result in less road noize and more cushion to minor bumps which in turn works hand in hand with the suspension. This is science/fact not opinion.

Second, you're other opinion of which tires looks best seems to be solely based on the fact that you have that size tire on your wheels? (which are too big for a previous gen CTS. IMHO anything larger than 20" on that car looks riDONKulous)

Now again, if you are going to lower the car, go with the 245's, otherwise 255 or 265 because 245's will look too small on a stock height '08. The wheel gap will be greater than the sidewall height of the tire, which will give it that slight "4x4" type look (mainly on the rear wheels) that many people notice when going to lower profile tires.

Example: (Dubbed, I hope you dont mind, but I know you went with 245's with the intention to lower it, so I think you agree with this and where I'm coming from...)

Great detailed response. The wheels I want won't be ready for 1 mth so I will send pics then.

One last question...do you think if I did go with a 265 that I would have more rub since my wheel is only a 22X9?

No... that actual flat part of the tread will stay the same. The only thing that will change is that you will have more protection against rim edge damage as the part of the tire that sits on the wheel (bead) will not be flexed outward as much. It will be more vertical.

Sort of like:

_
    | |

instea of:

_
    / \

Not as exaggerated of course. If you're worried though, you can go with 255's but to answer your question, 265's wont rub any more than it did on mine and you already know how to fix it. If it's not raining this weekend, I'll try to post some pics...

One last thing... remember that tire sizes vary by manufacturer and by tread design. So a 265 from one company may not be the same exact diameter as another company's. Even from tire model to model from the same company. (Just to warn you... so some 265's may rub more/less, etc...)

Mine are Yokohama Spec-X

what is FE3? do i have diff suspension than you? I have the sport package... think you do too?

Dont you have the sport suspension too? You have the sport kit w/ fogs, xenon's, etc...?

Funny thing is... when I first put the wheels on, the rear looked a little jacked up. After driving it for a few minutes, it settled itself down and has stayed the same since. Over 1/2" difference.

What car does the FE3 come on?

Nashtyboy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I am looking to add 20" TSW Estoril wheels to my black raven. Any suggestions on tire sizes? Am I going to experience any rubbing, or is that only with 22s? Thanks.

mrplease is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS - white diamond on 22" tis 07's

[QUOTE=bad63lac;1272459]First, no one brought up the "difference in ride" quality but since you did, lets be clear...

the difference in ride quality between 265/30/22 and 245/30/22 is almost going to be impossible to tell.

i had a rim and tire shop for over 5 years and have alot of experience in wheels and tires. and a lot of feedback from customers and test rides in their cars. so i have a good feel in what different tires feel like.

but a prime example is i own a lincoln towncar right now that first had 265/35/22's and i hated how much rubber there was. so i changed the tires to 255/30/22's which is a MUCH smaller tire, even more of a size difference than a 245/30/22 and 265/30/22, and there was NO way to tell the difference in the ride.

AND, i just gave my opinion and help. my opinion is that a 245 series tire looks better than a 265 series tire. and my help was that i know that there isn't a noticable difference in the ride, and you get all pissy because you know dubbed stealths tires look better and you give a smart ass comment and talk sh** about my car. first you need to get your facts right, and second, whatever man...

O2B2 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 08 CTS DI FE3

Anybody want to sell their Polished or Painted 18"

O2B2 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 08 CTS DI FE3

With or without sensors if I may ask?

Nashtyboy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by O2B2 View Post
    Anybody want to sell their Polished or Painted 18"
    I will sell you my painted 18", but I won't be taking delivery for a while. What kind of price are you looking to pay? They will be virtually unused, as I'm going to upgrade to 20" asap.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.