Dyno #'s ????
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Dyno #'s ???? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Hey all, I took my car into a local tuning shop to get a baseline dyno done. They are using ...
    bryce3 is offline BAD EMAIL ADDRESS

Dyno #'s ????

Hey all, I took my car into a local tuning shop to get a baseline dyno done. They are using a Mustang style machine. Another member ( Velose) also got his car done there so I figured it would be a good comparison. Well my car came in at only 302 peak HP. I have a B&B cat back w/ a res. and a cone style air filter instead of the stock air box. Velose's car stock, no mods came in at 326 peak HP. So "WTF" is wrong with my car ???? The tech that did the dyno said that my cone air filter may be the problem (already in the trash). I noticed when we were done that my heater and rear defrost was on, would that zap any HP? Looking for some answer begfore I put my Maggie on, so please chime in with your thoughts.
    -Sean

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

04CTSVFLA is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: Dyno #'s ????

im eager to know what the deal is also.

trukk is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '12 CTS-V Manny Vagon

..was the AC on? Also did you turn TC off (leave stabilitrac on though). Did both use the same smoothing? Perhaps one was SAE, and the other not? If no smoothing was used at all, outside air temp/pressure and humidity will be a big factor. Finally did you have a fan running (perhaps tech forgot to turn it on?)

Also, best bet is to compare your third run against hist third run (so both engines are at or close to heat soak). This should negate any variances in engine temp. 'Best run' times are just for ego stroking.

My best pull so far on an MD-1750 was about 307 (just warm), 304 when hot.

-Chris

CTSVONFIRE is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Like someone else said in another thread. There some ls6 that are beefier than others. That is quite a big difference for rwhp.

markbinkc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V coupe

AC will sap some horsepower. That doesn't sound terribly bad for a mustang dyno though. I just think that if you get your car dynoed 10 places, you will get 10 different numbers. Just make sure you use the same dyno to see how the changes in your mods affect your horsepower. Also, like trukk said, make sure to turn traction control off. That cone filter sucking in hot engine air could very well be causing a problem too. Let us know. My best run was 290's on the MD-1750. Let us know.

Mark

willsctsv is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): none

I would be pissed. I was pissed when I only pulled 375RWHP on the Mustang Dyno over the summer with my mods.
    I guess I should be happy!

I'm not sure exactly when Velose got his dyno done but the temp was a cool 72 ish at about 9:20 in the morning. The fan was turned on and placed right in front of the car. I didn't turn the TC off so I'm sure it was on. Does the weight of the vehicle matter? I had them use 4100lbs. to account for my fat ass + the car.
    -Sean

Luna. is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 2009 Black CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by bryce3
    I'm not sure exactly when Velose got his dyno done but the temp was a cool 72 ish at about 9:20 in the morning. The fan was turned on and placed right in front of the car. I didn't turn the TC off so I'm sure it was on. Does the weight of the vehicle matter? I had them use 4100lbs. to account for my fat ass + the car.
    -Sean
    The techs that dyno my car (about 20 times overall so far...lol) specifically make sure that T/C is turned off. As such, *perhaps* that might be a concern (I'm not sure why though--unless the tires were slipping or something).

markbinkc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V coupe

Mustang dynos can be run loaded or unloaded, so there's no need to be pissed, and this run was obviously on a loaded dyno. Those high horsepower numbers on the same type of dyno are obviously on an unloaded run, and tend to be 40-50 horsepower higher than the loaded dynos. Some people calibrate these dynos so that they put out high horsepower numbers for "bragging" purposes. If you check out the Vette forums, the ZO6's are dynoing at about 330-340 on loaded mustang dynos.

Mark

TXSilverV is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

I guess I will not complain that mine was 427 with all of my mods done. My first dyno was 308. Have you had it tuned yet?

GT04CTS-V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): No GET-RAG or GM products

Quote Originally Posted by bryce3
    Hey all, I took my car into a local tuning shop to get a baseline dyno done. They are using a Mustang style machine. Another member ( Velose) also got his car done there so I figured it would be a good comparison. Well my car came in at only 302 peak HP. I have a B&B cat back w/ a res. and a cone style air filter instead of the stock air box. Velose's car stock, no mods came in at 326 peak HP. So "WTF" is wrong with my car ???? The tech that did the dyno said that my cone air filter may be the problem (already in the trash). I noticed when we were done that my heater and rear defrost was on, would that zap any HP? Looking for some answer begfore I put my Maggie on, so please chime in with your thoughts.
    -Sean
    I feel your pain. My car dynoed at 387 hp on a Mustang dyno and that's with a Stealth tune, Maggie, and a Magnaflow exhaust. Comparing Horsepower on different dynos and different cars doesn't mean squat. In order to compare you need to dyno the cars on the same dyno and on the same day.

BTW: My car also dynoed at 420 hp on another dyno, and the tech claimed that his numbers were low. Go figure.

GT

I'm inline to get the Maggie installed + a tune from Rick. I took that cone filter off and put the air box back in. Should I get another dyno done now and make sure that the TC is off and that the heater, rear defrost are also off or be content with these baseline #'s?
    -Sean

blown65 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

IMO dynos are only good for showing improvements. You cant compare dyno #1 in socal with dyno #2 in florida really. I mean they should in theory be close, but its best to look at gains, not braggin rights.

My blown stang on a mustang dyno in crappy weather only dyno'd 425hp at 5k rpm and 515lbtq at 2400rpm. Two problems, my ignition wouldnt let the car rev over 5k and hp was still climbing, and because of the TQ converter having a stall speed of 3500 didnt work out so well either. It was though a good tuning tool overall cause we had a baseline, and then an end result.

GT04 pretty much hit the nail on the head with his post. Personally, Id go by trap numbers down the 1/4 mile in mph as a more reliable way of rating your hp vs another cars hp.

GT04CTS-V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): No GET-RAG or GM products

Quote Originally Posted by GT04CTS-V
    I feel your pain. My car dynoed at 387 hp on a Mustang dyno and that's with a Stealth tune, Maggie, and a Magnaflow exhaust. Comparing Horsepower on different dynos and different cars doesn't mean squat. In order to compare you need to dyno the cars on the same dyno and on the same day.

BTW: My car also dynoed at 420 hp on another dyno, and the tech claimed that his numbers were low. Go figure.

GT
    Forgot to mention, my trap speed in the 1/4 was 112mph, using the HP calculator my wheel HP = 438. So the dyno at Tony's Corvette seems to be the closest. Not sure if I'm allowed to post a reference to the web site I used to calculate RWHP, but if you do a yahoo search for "trap speed horsepower", it's the 2nd listing.

GT

blown65 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

lol gt04, I would think you could post the link to the calc.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.