Another one returns... sort of...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DMM
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Another one returns... sort of... in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Much like Badilac's post I've been out of commission for about a year now. Mine wasn't a spun bearing but ...
    ronr is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Another one returns... sort of...

Much like Badilac's post I've been out of commission for about a year now. Mine wasn't a spun bearing but a cracked block. After about 100k maggied miles I don't think the block owed me anything

Today was the first start of the new motor but the driver's side catalytic got reeeeeaaaallly hot, as in caught the transmission wires on fire hot. Now on to diagnosing what went wrong there. Advice welcome!

Here's the run down of the journey that got me to here:

My original LS6 cracked between the water jacket on #1 and the cylinder which caused a piece of the piston top to come off. I, like Badilac spent some time trying to decide what route to go for a replacement and while I was doing that a guy over on another forum was putting an LSX in his '09 V and was selling his 50k mile LSA short block. I bought it and set about adding parts and rebuilding.

The block ended up having one cylinder that was .005" out of round so I bored it .005" over and added forged pistons and rods to the LSA's forged crank. A friend of mine at Comp Performance hooked me up with a laundry list of "go fast" goodies including:

- RHS 54320 CNC ported heads
    - 269LrR HR-13 Cam
    - Rocker Trunion upgrade kit
    - Lifters, pushrods, timing chain set
    - Stainless Intake and Exhaust valves

Additionally I added:
    - ATI damper
    - Kooks 1 7/8 LT headers and catted connection pipes (the one that overheated today)
    - Lingenfelter flywheel to mate
    - Maggie went back to Magnuson for overhaul (the intercooler was leaking under the blower which they fixed plus bearings...)
    - Trans went back to RPM to freshen the Level V upgrade they did several years ago
    - Knock sensors relocated (new valley cover from Magnuson), cam position sensor relocation harness added too
    - New oil pump
    - probably a couple of other minor changes I'm forgetting right now

I rebuilt the motor myself and as fate would have it the one and only dimension I didn't check and recheck during rebuild, pushrod length, was causing the valves to stay open since the heads had to be surfaced to remove some nicks... no compression Found that last night, got new pushrods today and she started first turn of the key Wideband O2 was showing good numbers and no trouble codes After running for a while and doing checks with EFILive connected we noticed the glow from under that car and shut things down. The IR thermometer put the passengers side cat at around 190 deg F while drivers side was 410 deg F (and glowing nicely red).

I'm guessing the drivers side needs to be replaced and is now melted. I've also got to replace the wires in the harness going down the drivers side of the transmission.

No DTC's, idled great and revved up great so I'm perplexed as to what the root cause could be.

On a side note, I also got a new snout and 90mm Throttle Body to upgrade as soon as I get around to putting new CAI plumbing in place but for now I'm still using the LS6 TB and Lingenfelter CAI

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

alradco is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Another one returns... sort of...

Congrats on getting it back on the road. Hopefully someone can chime in on the hot catalytic converter but I think that may be caused by unburnt fuel. Do you have a wideband on the car?

heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06

Probable air leak at the pipe connections.

Could also be a leaky bung plug.

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

I was thinking the same as alradco - too much fuel from that bank for some reason?

Congrats on getting it back together. Sounds like it should be a frickin' monster! Any idea of what sort of numbers you expect it to put down?
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by AAIIIC View Post
    Congrats on getting it back together. Sounds like it should be a frickin' monster! Any idea of what sort of numbers you expect it to put down?
    Not sure. I'm thinking the maggie is now my restriction.

So I fried the wiring harness going to the trans temp sensor (and the sensor itself) as well as the one going to the back of the trans for the speed sensor. I was able to splice in wires for the speed sensor since the plug was unharmed. The temp is currently disconnected.

I loaded up a little more conservative tune and it's not starting up as well but when it does it really sounds good! The wide band is showing good numbers but the drivers side is still getting too hot and the SAE.FUELSYS 1 is displaying a fault so something is definitely up with that side of the engine/system. I may do a CASE learn to see if that helps with startup but I'm still not sure what to do about the left side of the system getting so hot.
    Attached Images

DMM
    DMM is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V

You have a vacuum leak on the drivers bank of the motor. The extra oxygen makes the converter hotter just the same as a cutting torch.

I used to illustrate this to people by taking a puff of a cigarette and say "how much fuel did I just add?" To demonstrate that additional oxygen, not fuel, that makes something hotter. I don't smoke anymore and rarely teach drivability and emissions now lol.

Your problem is with unmetered oxygen on the drivers bank.
    barrok69 likes this.

Looks like it was an obstruction in the exhaust. Evidently some chipmunks took up residence in there over the winter while I had it sitting outside my garage!

Now I still have a cam sensor problem so that's next.
    Attached Images

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

An "obstruction?" Seems funny that it ran so well with that (albeit just sitting in a garage). Acorns? Mrs. Chipmunk?
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    An "obstruction?" Seems funny that it ran so well with that (albeit just sitting in a garage). Acorns? Mrs. Chipmunk?
    Whatever it was it's gone now and she's running like a top... a very angry top I'm working in AA now so I drive past your place regularly. Will stop by one of these days.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Just a heads up: I have NO money for mods ... NO MONEY!

Plan to go back to work soon, then ... maybe ...
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

barrok69 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V Maggied

Did the car smell like roasting acorns ? lol

Glad you got it all figured out. There is nothing like having kindling in your exhaust system !

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.