Rear end whine
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Rear end whine in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; so I brought my car in yesterday for the whine in the rear they will replace the pinion bearing was ...
    Mark05 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Rear end whine

so I brought my car in yesterday for the whine in the rear
    they will replace the pinion bearing
    was hoping they would change the diff but I guess I not that lucky

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

rjoffe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: Rear end whine

Where did you take it ?

GM dealer here in Ottawa Ontario Canada
    Surgenor

rjoffe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Let us know how it turns out.

No dealers that I am aware of actually tear down and rebuild the rear. All replace it. If I recall correctly parts were not available, only entire units.

I guess since its still under warranty they decided to fix instead of a replacement

Z71
    Z71 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 Blue Diamond AWD Performance Sedan

They are probably replacing the pinion bearing in hopes (long shot) that it will cure the problem. According to what my dealer SM tells me the only problem is the noise, most owners would disagree. He claims before he can replace a rear axle he has to get the approval of his zone maintenance rep. Basically he does not want to stick his neck out in the chance that when he returns the parts (and he must return the replaced parts) they decide nothing is wrong and he does not get paid for the repair. It took 2 months to get the approval to replace the Rear in my girl friends '09 CTS4. The R & R of the complete rear diff asm was at about 15,000-20,000 miles (+/-) and when she traded it in last winter (with approx. 50,000 miles) the noise was back. She did not buy another Cadillac, disgusted with the many problems she had and the indifference of the Cadi dealer service dept.

PS - When my CTS was new, I replaced the factory gear lube right away (less than 100 miles) with AMSOIL Severe Gear 75W-90 and 5 yrs and 38,000 miles later I don't have any noise.

They claim the first 100 to 500 miles in very critical in these differentials and if they generate too much heat, problems such as this can result. I seen that in writing because they gave my gf a copy of something that stated that. I made a copy of that notice but have misplaced it or I would post it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.