Anyone used Black Slotted EBC Rotors?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Anyone used Black Slotted EBC Rotors? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I am sort of painting myself into a "murdered out" corner here, got the headlight trim black, tail lights etc ...
    WarrenMRogers is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Anyone used Black Slotted EBC Rotors?

I am sort of painting myself into a "murdered out" corner here, got the headlight trim black, tail lights etc are tinted and wheels are black. It is rotor time and I saw http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...ings+Clearance

I have seen them cheaper, but there is what I am looking at. I have seen solid black rotors but I prefer this look x1000. I will likely black out my grill and leave the chrome surround and the emblem chrome up front if I do this. I have heard EBC is great and all but wanted to know if anyone has used their rotors, or even specifically these. I do not want drilled. This is my DD, a 2004 black Raven CTS-V.

Any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    No such thing as black rotors. The coating gets wiped off immediately after applying the brakes the first one or two times. It only stays where the pads don't touch. The rotors will look like any others after 30 seconds of use.

Aside from the color, Black dash rotors and red stuff pads make for some excellent brakes. I have them on my Seville. Powerful, smooth, quiet (after break in), and very little dust. --------

Actually, I've had 2 sets. One with stock sized fronts:

And one with slightly larger fronts with dual piston calipers:

ctsv247 is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray V

Re: Anyone used Black Slotted EBC Rotors?

At least you don't have to paint the areas of the rotor that aren't hit with the pad....shouldn't be a rusty mess like mine are. If they aren't too costly, i'd go with those just so i don't have to paint them.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    To be honest, the paint doesn't hold up very well, at least not in New England. The OP's in a warmer climate, so it may last longer.

----------

$738.99 for pads and rotors all around:

http://www.placeforbrakes.com/produc...&car_year=2004

Junior1 is offline Cadillac Owners Racer
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V Racecar, 2011 Escalade ESV

No thanks.

I put them on my Escalade last Oct/Nov (2013) and they are off already and warped.
    Whether its a combination of the weight/size (ESV) or the 22" wheels, but they didn't last for shit.
    I called up and they said their rotors don't warp its the pads. They asked me if I followed the bed-in procedure (which I did to a "T"). Then they wanted me to take it to a shop to do a pad match with a lathe on my own dime. That shop happened to be a Pep Boys or the dealer. I said no thanks, put them in the scrap pile and ordered an OEM set from Luke.
    They worked fine up until they got warmed up, then you didn't even want to touch the brake. Trust me, I'm no slouch hitting the pedal but there is no way a stock set lasts 2 years and these don't make it 6-7 months...

2005 cadillac cts-v.r #83 nasa st3 . 2011 escalade esv . 2011 sierra denali

WarrenMRogers is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Wow, am I ever glad I asked. That's too bad, that would have looked great. I will probably just stick to OEM unless anyone has a suggestion for a reasonably closely priced alternative that is worth it for a DD with 114k mi that's mostly stock.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

I've used my EBC rotors/Redstuff pads for quite a while now - completely satisfied - quiet, no dust, powerful. Took a while to break in, but happy camper all around.

Junior, I'll bet that you should have used the new Redstuff ceramic pads for the Escalade. They are way above the Greenstuff in stopping power/heat performance. I have no problems hauling the STS down from 140+ in a hurry.

Cast iron brake rotors do not warp. http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...nd-other-myths
    Attached Images

Junior1 is offline Cadillac Owners Racer
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V Racecar, 2011 Escalade ESV

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    Junior, I'll bet that you should have used the new Redstuff ceramic pads for the Escalade. They are way above the Greenstuff in stopping power/heat performance. I have no problems hauling the STS down from 140+ in a hurry.

Cast iron brake rotors do not warp. http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...nd-other-myths
    Yep, has to be something with the combo because I purposely followed their bed-in procedure just to be sure. With all the raves about them I figured it would be a cheaper alternative. But there are still some issues that I have read about.
    I usually just put a Baer kit or Wilwood kit on the trucks. Never had any issues with those and my pickup has just about made it 3 years on a stock set and thats with towing the V in the trailer too.
    For the V I've only run the Brembo/GMPP's while it was on the street. Racing I've gone through the Coleman's which cracked on me and now the Giro Disc which I'm quite happy with...
    2005 cadillac cts-v.r #83 nasa st3 . 2011 escalade esv . 2011 sierra denali

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    No such thing as black rotors. The coating gets wiped off immediately after applying the brakes the first one or two times. It only stays where the pads don't touch. The rotors will look like any others after 30 seconds of use.

Aside from the color, Black dash rotors and red stuff pads make for some excellent brakes. I have them on my Seville. Powerful, smooth, quiet (after break in), and very little dust. --------

Actually, I've had 2 sets. One with stock sized fronts:

And one with slightly larger fronts with dual piston calipers:
    Actually, you are incorrect. If you go big money carbon fiber brakes, the rotors stay blackish...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.