Trouble Starting After Headers
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dkozloski
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Trouble Starting After Headers in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; New to the forum! First post! So first I will begin by telling you that I got my 2005 Cts-V ...
    NotUrGrandpasCaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Trouble Starting After Headers

New to the forum! First post!
    So first I will begin by telling you that I got my 2005 Cts-V about 3 months ago I have really enjoyed it and I'm excited for its future!

I just got a set of pace setter headers installed over the weekend and since then the car is having trouble starting. It has been taking longer to start up (turning over for about 2-3 seconds) every time I would start the car but after the headers it's now taking even longer(3-5 sec), but sometimes starts right up. After the headers were installed, during the first start up, it was backfiring a lot before it finally started.

I'm no mechanic and this is all new to me so please use beginner terms.. Lol

Thanks for any help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Re: Trouble Starting After Headers

The possibilities listed in the service literature include a marginal battery, a marginal starter, or low compression. A marginal battery will pass routine checks but will fail when stress/load tested. Some auto parts stores will do a stress/load test which should take no less than 10 minutes. If the battery checks out I would inspect the wiring and connections at the starter. If there are no wiring/connector issues you may need a starter. The stock catalytic converters are notorious for cooking the starter and the connections thereto. If this is a high mileage engine, spark plugs & wires could be a factor as well as engine compression.

odla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac platinum 04 & Blk 05 cts-v

I would start with a battery first. Second did you wrap the starter? I put a new one in and wrapped it up. Also did a new starter connection wire to make sure I had no future problems. How many miles? How old is the battery? Since you just bought the car look on the battery for any stickers of date. Our cars don't do so well when they sit even for a few days with a battery on its way out.

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

I'm assuming you haven't gotten the ECU tuned following the installation of the headers?
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

I also changed my plugs and wires. They are very thick wires. I don't know if this has anything at all to do with it but think its worth mentioning. I didn't wrap the starter and I did not tune it. I was told that it would run a little rich but it would be ok. Also I'm not sure about the battery (I will check this afternoon) but like I said it's turning over good just not starting very easily.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by NotUrGrandpasCaddy View Post
    ... it's turning over good just not starting very easily.
    Doesn't sound like it's the battery.

Having changed the plugs and wires, however, would be where I'd focus.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Connect a voltmeter from ground to the big terminal on the starter. While cranking it should read at least 9 volts. If it reads lower than this you should track your way back until you find the loss. Step by step logical troubleshooting beats cherry picking and throwing parts at the problem every time.
    NotUrGrandpasCaddy likes this.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

The car has 152,000 miles. Also I was told by someone that it was my fuel pump. Do you guys think that is a possibility? I just don't think it could be it because it got worse right after I did the plugs, wires, and headers. Thanks

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Quote Originally Posted by NotUrGrandpasCaddy View Post
    The car has 152,000 miles. Also I was told by someone that it was my fuel pump. Do you guys think that is a possibility? I just don't think it could be it because it got worse right after I did the plugs, wires, and headers. Thanks
    Fuel pumps do fail on these cars from time to time, but most report that it just quits without warning. A marginal or weak fuel pump typically will trigger lean codes. In any event, it is easy enough to check. A gauge hooked to the Schrader valve on the fuel rail should show 55-62 psig with he engine running.

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

If the car runs and drives fine otherwise then I don't see how it could be the fuel pump. The demand on the fuel system at startup is a helluva lot lower than when you're actually putting a load on the engine and asking it to make some power.

Becker is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 black with tan V

Take a look at the plugs and make sure you didnt crack one or a wire isnt fully connected. The pop on startup is what leads me to this..

It ended up that the wires from my cam position sensor were hanging out of the plug. (After the install) luckily was an easy fix. Thanks for the help guys!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.