Help needed with LS7 clutch install - rock hard pedal
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Help needed with LS7 clutch install - rock hard pedal in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Well, my worst fear has just been realized - my mechanic installed a new LS7 clutch kit on my 2005 ...
    Derek5.7 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS-V

Help needed with LS7 clutch install - rock hard pedal

Well, my worst fear has just been realized - my mechanic installed a new LS7 clutch kit on my 2005 CTS-V and after repeated high-pressure clutch bleeds he CANNOT get the clutch to disengage (clutch pedal is rock hard). I need to know what the likely culprit is ASAP. Is it possible he installed something incorrectly? I can't bear the thought of paying another $700 for him to pull it all apart again only to discover it was installed fine. He wonders if the clutch master cylinder is shot but that was replaced about 3 years ago. Someone on this list reported a similar problem and the fix centered around the quick connector between the master cylinder and slave not being plugged back in all the way (apparently it acts like a quick connect air fitting). Anyway, I'll mention this to my mechanic tomorrow but in the meantime I would VERY much appreciate any tips/suggestions from anyone who has gone through this particular problem. My local garage is ready to wash their hands of this so I need a game-plan ASAP. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: Help needed with LS7 clutch install - rock hard pedal

For what it is worth, the service literature also points to the hydraulic hose. See attached.
    Attached Files

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

When you say "LS7 clutch kit", what all is included? Did you do the LS7 slave cylinder, too, or are you using the stock slave with a spacer?
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

I did the LS7 slave cylinder, flywheel and clutch. I'm thinking the likely culprits are a crimped/pinched slave cylinder line or just more work bleeding the air out of the very LONG slave cylinder line, although a heavy/stiff clutch pedal isn't usually due to air in the line, I'm told. What do you think?

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Does sound like the hose problem is the most likely culprit.

FuzzyLogic is offline Banned

[Deleted following personal attack by moderation team that is inconsistent with published Cadillac Forum terms of use.]

ctsv247 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray V

Mistakes could have been made. About the only way to even know this problem is a possibility is to have done this yourself or know someone who did so take the above advice of bailing on your mechanic with a grain of salt.

Ugh! Fuzzy, I'm pretty sure my mechanic only disconnected the connector on the slave cylinder end (not the MC end) - is it possible to connect the slave cylinder end incorrectly too, in such a way that fluid flow is partially blocked? He did say to me that he had a very hard time connecting it back up, and, again, I'm pretty sure this was in reference to connecting the MC line to the new LS7 slave cylinder fitting. I also quizzed him yesterday on how "rock hard" the pedal was and he seemed to indicate that he could push the pedal down but with effort and only achieving partial clutch engagement. I'm very frustrated because I'm on vacation right now and can't go over to the shop and see what's going on first hand. Right now it consists of me talking to him on the phone and trying to diagnose the problem this way.

the good news is....this would be easy for your mechanic to check. talking about it isn't going to get it fixed for sure.

Another possibility is the length of the hydraulic line included with the ls7 slave got kinked during the install. The stock line that is attached to the V slave won't work on the ls7 slave and the line that comes on the ls7 slave is way long so you have to do some creative routing to accommodate all of this excess length...could have gotten kinked? Tick Performance makes a shorter line specifically for this application and i elected to use it on my ls7 swap just to keep things sanitary...perfect fit.

[Deleted following personal attack by moderation team that is inconsistent with published Cadillac Forum terms of use.]

Is this shorter line by Tick Performance the same thing as the speed bleeder I've heard a lot of talk about or something different?

Quote Originally Posted by Derek5.7 View Post
    Is this shorter line by Tick Performance the same thing as the speed bleeder I've heard a lot of talk about or something different?
    Doubtful. I've never heard of it, and I don't consider the LS7 slave line to be excessively long. Zip tie any slack and you're RTR.

http://www.tickperformance.com/tick-...2004-07-cts-v/

This is a different line to the speed bleeder. You can see the two lines in direct comparison and if you dig deep enough here or on ls1tech, you'll find reports and pictures of crimped lines and testimonials that the line, while certainly a doable proposition to use, can be a PITA. This car is a tight squeeze, not much room for anything excess.

Lets put it this way....if this car were equipped with an ls7 clutch from the factory, the engineers would have used a line more similar to the Tick line and less like the corvette ls7 line provided with the slave cylinder you bought. Mine was a perfect fit...no zip ties requires

Okay, thanks guys, esprecially Fuzzy and cts-v247. I think I have a game-plan. My mechanic has done numerous clutch fluid bleeds (I mean MANY) but keeps getting the same result/hard clutch pedal. He says he has checked the line for kinks/bends several times and doesn't see any. He says he's checked the MC hydraulic fluid hose connection at the slave cylinder end and thinks it's seated right/correctly (I don't believe he touched the connection on the MC side). I think the new LS7 hardware (flywheel and clutch and pressure plate) are all mechanically "dummy proof," so much so, that these HAVEN't been installed incorrectly. So that's my assumption #1. But my assumption #2 is that a). either the new LS7 slave cylinder is a DUD (unlikely but possible) and/or the connection is messed up, causing a blockage in fluid flow. So I'm thinking of asking my mechanic to drop the tranny again and (maybe) replace the slave cylinder but definitely re-do the hydraulic line connections again. Question: excuse my ignorance, but I am thinking the tranny can be dropped WITHOUT removing the bell housing again. Is that correct - the slave is attached to the tranny? And if it is, the slave-cylinder work can be done just w/the tranny dropped, thereby reducing labor costs a little, right? But prior to asking him to drop the tranny again, I'm going to request he unconnect the LONG slave-cylinder line that connects to the MC line (which I assume can be done WITH the tranny in the car) and inspect it and then reconnect it in the hope that the valve was indeed jammed and causing the stiff/hard pedal. Please advise/correct me if you think I'm going in the wrong direction.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.