Best shifter as of 07/25/2014 - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Best shifter as of 07/25/2014 in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by FuzzyLogic The T-56 Magnum XL was originally only offered for the S197 Mustang, but seeing an opportunity, ...
    ctsv247 is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray V

Re: Best shifter as of 07/25/2014

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyLogic View Post
    The T-56 Magnum XL was originally only offered for the S197 Mustang, but seeing an opportunity, Tremec put out a GM-specific version.

The T-56 Magnum is the non-OEM version of the TR-6060. The core design is modular. TR-6060s are T-56 Magnums, configured to fit specific Ford and GM vehicles (e.g. Viper, Camaro, Corvette, GT500, Aston Martin, Challenger, etc). The construction and metallurgy of the gears, shafts, and synchros are identical.
    so the generic gm version has a tailshaft length that conveniently puts the shifter in the factory v1 position? or are there multiple tailhousing lengths available for this. agreed on the investment...rebuilt an automatic lately? 3500 is cheap

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Thread purged. If you want to comment on your experience with a shifter or shifters, knock yourself out. If you want to argue about who said what about whom, feel free to email each other or pick up the phone.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

odla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac platinum 04 & Blk 05 cts-v

I have used the UFC and pisnuoff modified shifter. I liked the modified better. Uuc was good I just liked modified better.

54inches is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 V

Just to clarify one comment that was made.

My shifter is 100% made of new parts.

I can provide a list of parts if anyone is interested.

Jon
    Jon is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 09 CTS Premium 6 Speed, 04 CTS 3.6L, 2014 ATS 2.0T

Love my B&M
    54inches likes this.

philistine is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Black 2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by 54inches View Post
    Just to clarify one comment that was made.

My shifter is 100% made of new parts.

I can provide a list of parts if anyone is interested.
    After I cleared up my hydraulics issue, it is smooth shifting. Just to clear up any confusion, I went from a Katech shifter to the V8 solutions 'speedloader'. The stalk is noticeably higher than the Katech esp with the V2 suede knob I have installed. I got used to laying my arm on the thin armrest (non-modified armrest) and resting my hand close to the shifter with the Katech. After I installed the 'speedloader' shifter, I cannot comfortably rest my arm on the armrest and into a easy shifting position - so I rested my weight on the shift knob. What I learned was that resting my weight on the shift knob created vibrations - remove my hand and it went away. Other than that, there are no vibrations that are transmitted into the cabin, it's pretty quiet.

^^^All that is hardly worth mentioning since it is benign and caused by my own shifting habits. What I found when the 'speedloader' was delivered was a completely handmade shifter. The tig welds caught my eye and I'm a big fan of "tig weld Tuesday" on a facebook group. Anyways, they were beautiful! The heat affected zone and the folds in the weld showed a very talented welder. After that I installed it. During the installation process I noticed the incorporated jam nut well...got jammed! It was welded off-center and would begin to bind as I tightened it up to the shift knob. It caused a bit of a delay during the installation process because I took the shifter back out to get a closer look. The incorporated jam nut was also handmade and welded. It did not have the same quality of welding and fabrication as the base of the shifter and could see visibility that the component "tweakd". It happens...it almost will always happen during welding that something 'walks' or "tweaks" and gets out of place.

In the end I was able to install it with the associated jam nut. I re-threaded my V2 knob deeper, as deep as it would go and was able to get it all back together. Wrapped the shifter with the Redline boot and drove the crap out of my car. Aesthetics is one thing but it really is about how it's going to perform.

It shifts cleanly and is truly a short throw shifter. Short throw and short/tall stalk are not the same - it's what is going on at the base. The shifter is pretty tight - it likes to snap to neutral and firmly stays in all gears after shifting. I found that during casual shifts, 1-2 shift would snap to neutral then to 2nd gear. It is almost like neutral is magnetized but I am used it and it's not a bad thing, just one of those noticeable things - firm shifting. All gears are great but perhaps it's me, 5th is never easy find and I granny that gear on any platform.

The base of the shifter sits lower than I expected. I was worried about clearance with the 2pc driveshaft I have from DSS. The balance welds from DSS are directly under the shifter. The shifter clears but just to give more margin, I raised the shifter up a little with some washers/gasket material. The shifter has never touched my driveshaft.

Here's the fun part...high rev'n and rowing gears is pretty damn sweet - none of that snapping to neutral stuff, it just goes!

So that's a review. I usually do install write-ups and not reviews. The reason is because everybody has a different experience and it's highly subjective. Get a Cro-Magnon man behind the wheel with banana hands and he'll give a completely different review.

Thanks!

Edit:
    In case anyone asks if I enjoy the 'speedloader' shifter by V8 Solutions - the answer is yes! I do enjoy it and it's treated me well. Would I try a different shifter, yep I'd do that too but I would also recommend this shifter. I'm also going to try the Hurst shifter for no reason other than I'm curious. The reason is because I'm a car enthusiast and willing to try new products. This particular shifter made me very excited to try a handmade shifter made in a shop/garage. Did I expect imperfections, yep. I noticed after installing this shifter how bad my clutch hydraulics were and made an aftermarket unit to fix that. Every aftermarket part esp built in this community builds on something else. It's gives more choices and more ideas how to get the most out of cars.

I am glad you are happy!

We have revised the way we make the shifter slightly and got rid of jam nut as many did not like the style.

Philistine and I have talked and I will be providing him with a shorter stalk or even a threaded stock when he is ready; at no charge.

hefftone is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): LS2-V

Ordered a domesticV8solutions shifter the other day. Previously I was all but sold on the modified Hurst....but then I saw the development thread on LS1TECH.... I found them on Facebook and caught the tail end of their labor day sale. I am super stoked to see this thing, put it in an drive. My stock shifter is wretched.

Whoop!

I like my 54 shifter as well. Mine has was flanged for a Hurst handle and with the cts console, the stalk height is perfect. I recently put a weighted ball on it because the hurst ball cracked and got noisy...

McMaster Carr 6045k49 1 7/8 3/8-16 threaded solid steel ball...$8.68

Let's see some pictures!

Post them up over here too:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/602411496545223/

Its nice and heavy so it gives the shifter a very solid feel which me likes. I actually like the way it looks and I was thinking about getting it covered or whatever but the more I use it, the better I like it the way it is.

I find spending $119 for one, which was the only plain, simple, weighted knob I found, offensive.....http://www.twmshiftknobs.com/shiftkn...shiftknobs.php

I actually took the 6inch curved handle off and put a 7 inch straight handle on it and its perfect for the cts console height without lengthening throws significantly. I also put a 1/2" thick piece of some sort of plastic we had laying around the shop between the stick and the shifter to help isolate the noise and the welded a pair of carriage bolts to the stick so the bolt heads wouldn't rub a hole in the shift boot. this along with the weighted ball equals silence...no noise coming out of this but we'll see what happens once I put the CF driveshaft in it, get it aligned and the reinstall the modified shifter base that bolts to the transmission instead of the car...might get a little noisy then but we'll see.
    Attached Images

Damn that is tall. lol!!!!!

We are building another one with the Hurst handle....

It might look it but I also have the shorter boot on it. Perfect height fit the taller cts console.

hefftone is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): LS2-V

Check out the blox 490....should be available in your thread pitch....its 490 grams and cost around $40-50 on eBay or amazon. Looks good in gunmetal.

490Gunmetal-500x500.jpg

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.