Best shifter as of 07/25/2014 - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Best shifter as of 07/25/2014 in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; How much do uuc shifters cost ? Seems like it's going to be a hard call pisnuoff has a big ...
    Burner is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cts-V 2006

Re: Best shifter as of 07/25/2014

How much do uuc shifters cost ? Seems like it's going to be a hard call pisnuoff has a big following also. Has anyone have or tried both ? Thanks for all the feedback !!!

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

I have the UUC shifter, too - I installed it probably in 2008 or 2009. It's definitely a big improvement over the stocker, but I've never used one of the others to compare. The one "weakness" of the UUC shifter (and any of the others that are just a stick - B&M, Ralco, Katech) is that you retain the stock plastic bearing (or whatever you want to call it) where the shifter pivots. That has the potential to develop some play and take away some of the precision. How much of a difference that really makes I can't say.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

hefftone is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): LS2-V

I have been looking and I'm pretty much sold on the Hurst/pisnuoff shifter. In the past I would have cheaped out and probably bought the camaro version and "make it work"...I not sure what he does to mod the hurst camaro stick , but everyone seems very satisfied with it. I'm gonna buy one as soon as I sell a couple of cars so tjhat my wife does not kill me in my sleep.

joshuajohn1981 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS V
    Quote Originally Posted by hefftone
    I have been looking and I'm pretty much sold on the Hurst/pisnuoff shifter. In the past I would have cheaped out and probably bought the camaro version and "make it work"...I not sure what he does to mod the hurst camaro stick , but everyone seems very satisfied with it. I'm gonna buy one as soon as I sell a couple of cars so tjhat my wife does not kill me in my sleep.
    I think that's a good call. I've got Brian's modified stock shifter and I am very pleased. If I were to buy one now I would go with the hurst but request that he modified it for either the original v knob or an aftermarket knob. I'm not the biggest fan of how the hurst knob looks in the B but that's merely my own taste.

Anyhow, enjoy your new love for shifting.

54inches is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 V

Quote Originally Posted by philistine View Post
    I have a spare Katech short shifter if anyone is interested - in a box, just sitting there.

Edit:
    Sorry if I came across soliciting a Katech shifter. Darkman answered your question. There is a progression depending when you joined the community. V8 Solutions (54inches) came out with a shifter that gives the Katech a good run for the money - I have both and I prefer 54inches. The one Darkman is referring to has been doing shifters for many years. His latest shifter is a Hurst that he modifies and customizes for the V1s. FWIW, in the next week or so, I'm going to be installing the Hurst shifter (modified to look stock btw).

Cheers!
    Thanks brother!

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    What Brian did for the shifter should've been done in GM's design facilities back in '02/'03 ... instead of the rubbery mess they call OEM.

FWIW, my B&M shifter transmits no noise whatsoever and is still the best mod I've done. No V1 should be allowed to exist without an aftermarket shifter.
    Agreed on the GM design. lol

Rubber does not belong in ANY shifter where performance is needed.

I love the shifter that we designed. It is full on custom and does not use any OEM parts. No vibration.

To fully realize ALL shifters, you need to replace the crappy master cylinder. Only, if someone made a custom kit.....hmmmmmmm

FuzzyLogic is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 54inches View Post
    I love the shifter that we designed. It is full on custom and does not use any OEM parts. No vibration.
    Straight-up false.

ctsv247 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray V

I've got a 54 shifter and with the stock shifter base, the noise level is low.

54inches is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 V

Wow, as a business man and adult, I had to walk away and collect my thoughts on this one.

We do our best to provide a quality product for the V community, while you TRY and FIND problems with all of the vendors products. I am not a vendor here, but everything we offer is unique and no one offers anything quite like we do. Go ahead and twist my words. it is ok; I expect it from you.

Telling me that they don't like the vibrations is an opinion as Blake and I have no vibrations in our cars, but our cars have the drivetrains setup with NO vibrations, so there is no way for vibrations to transmit through the shifter.

I have told countless people before that without a firm foundation on any project, just slapping products onto it is not going to make it fast, reliable or even BETTER.

If you want a quality part that does not use ANY OEM parts and will be the best shifter for racing and banging gears then you can't go wrong with ours. If you want more of a soft, less aggressive feel, then there are other options. IS that bad, no not at all, not slamming anyone.

WE HAVE OPTIONS! FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!

We should all be rejoicing and 99% of us do.

I am not sure why you stir the pot, when all Brian, Jaysen and I are trying to do are make products for a VERY small community that we love.

I have been transparent with our flaws in our shifter.

Did I make a mistake on 2-3 shifters, yes, but I was willing to fix it and even provided a solution to take up the 1-2 mm gap that had NO effect on functionality. That was not good enough for you, so be it.

I cannot help those that will not take my help.

Furthermore, if anyone on here that is not happy with the way one of our shifters works, you have my number and we will make it right, however that is. If it is a vibration, then I would suggest limiting the vibrations that are present in your car so they will not translate through the solidly mounted stainless steel of which our shifter is built.

CTSV24, thank you brother. I am not sure who you are as I cannot keep up with the screennames; lol.

As they say, no good deed goes unpunished! lol

No worries either way, I am going to continue to fight the good fight and do my best to offer products to a great community!

I am sure I will finally get banned for talking about our business here, but I felt the need to stand up for myself and my team.

I would like to apologize to the site staff. I cannot afford vendorship and I promise not to bring up our products in a commercial way.

I would hope I could continue to talk about my V and the products; ours or otherwise and how they perform.

Thanks!

54 aka Adam

BTW...I kept mine from being noisy by installing an 1/8" thick block of delrin between the shifter and the stick....I have the one you made with the Hurst stick conversion....shifts awesome, i know it won't wear out, its well built...nuff said.
    54inches likes this.

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by 54inches View Post
    I am sure I will finally get banned for talking about our business here, but I felt the need to stand up for myself and my team.

I would like to apologize to the site staff. I cannot afford vendorship and I promise not to bring up our products in a commercial way.

I would hope I could continue to talk about my V and the products; ours or otherwise and how they perform.
    I don't see anything wrong with countering someone's comments about something you're intimately familiar with. I don't see any advertising in your post.
    54inches likes this.

As far as the shifter goes, My 54 shifter doesn't have any issues clearing my stock driveshaft....we'll see when it comes time to put the cf 1 piece in it....
    Attached Images
    54inches likes this.

what shifter do you like fuzzy?

Quote Originally Posted by ctsv247 View Post
    what shifter do you like fuzzy?
    The Katech is the quietest, the Hurst is the crispest, and 54inches' is the strongest. As you'll see in my review, the Hurst is the winner overall--but not by a landslide. That's because Brian's adaptation has no dust boot, is cockeyed, overpriced, and offset with zero noise isolation. Consequently, it requires an additional outlay of at least $100 to replace the lower bushings and shoulder bolt, add a dust boot, and machine an offset adapter so that the shifter is pointed straight up and centered. I tried to help Brian with some of those aspects, he wasn't very receptive and jacked up the price by another $25 (to $300 over the $169 Amazon price) for what is essentially 15 minutes of work on a lathe. Since most machinists charge $55 to $65 an hour, this is not a value deal.

I think everyone would agree that this is a far better value at $400 than any of the available shifter options.

Personally, part of my modding plan for 2015 is going to involve fabricating an adjustable cross-brace for the Tremec T-56 Magnum XL, which will provide everyone with a direct linkage shifter option that eliminates all of the factory claptrap and stops the debate, once and for all. Granted, you'll have to buy a T-56 Magnum XL ($3500) and a new, shorter driveshaft, but everyone is eventually going to have to replace or refurbish their transmissions anyway. I've suggested this idea to Max @ Creative Steel and Adam (54inches) more than once, but neither of them bit.

Wonder what application the XL was originally intended for? Assuming it has a 6060 gearset but does it have the 6060 case?

I found more gains with my shift quality by mounting the shifter base directly to the transmission and reworking the linkage to capture both sides of the shift shaft at the swivel than I did putting the shifter in.

Quote Originally Posted by ctsv247 View Post
    Wonder what application the XL was originally intended for? Assuming it has a 6060 gearset but does it have the 6060 case?

I found more gains with my shift quality by mounting the shifter base directly to the transmission and reworking the linkage to capture both sides of the shift shaft at the swivel than I did putting the shifter in.
    The T-56 Magnum XL was originally only offered for the S197 Mustang, but seeing an opportunity, Tremec put out a GM-specific version.

The T-56 Magnum is the non-OEM version of the TR-6060. The core design is modular. TR-6060s are T-56 Magnums, configured to fit specific Ford and GM vehicles (e.g. Viper, Camaro, Corvette, GT500, Aston Martin, Challenger, etc). The construction and metallurgy of the gears, shafts, and synchros are identical.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.