Cadillac Owners Forum banner

VMax Motorsports Ported Throttle Body

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  thebigjimsho 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

I thought I'd give anyone who is interested an update on my latest mod which turned out very well.

I sent my LS6 throttle body (78mm) down to a guy in Florida called Pete of VMax Motorsports and he CNC'd my throttle body and sent it back (great service). I then ordered a tune update with Trifecta (thinking it would need it since I had a significant increase in air flow) but after sending them a new log they said the air/fuel trims were still good and that they didn't need to make any adjustments (and sent me a refund). Well, the main reason for the update is I think I've hit a sweet spot in terms of all of my mods working together and giving me a V1 that REALLY has woken up - VERY fast acceleration, super-quick throttle response, pulls very hard in every gear right to redline.

My mild mods:

1. Volant air intake (which is a zero-sum game, IMO, until you open up your throttle body)
2. VMax Motorsports CNC'd ported TB (a dramatic increase in airflow)
2. Random technology high flow cats with stock manifold & exhaust (expensive but worth it)
3. Trifecta tuning (haven't heard others mention this company but they've been good and Vince, their main tuner, knows our engines very well)

Anyway, next mod is the LS7 clutch swap.

Derek

See less See more
#2 ·
My own experience with a similar mod path is completely consistent with these results. Specifically, I was able to get 359 RWHP from the LS6 with Random Tech Cats, a lightweight flywheel, and a mail-order tune. Also, subsequent dyno-testing confirmed (at least in my case) that the stock intake could supply all the air flow the stock 78mm throttle body could handle.

#3 ·
Darkman, was that 359 RWHP with a ported TB or stock TB? I haven't gone to a proper dyno shop yet but Pete of VMax Motorsports said customers report 10-15 RWHP dyno reads with the TB porting alone. I'm always a little suspicious of dyno number claims/reports but I would say with some confidence that the "kick-in-the-pants" feel of this ported TB is very real and could be adding those kind of RWHP figures.

#4 ·
The 359 RWHP was with the stock throttle body.http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...6133-dallas-dyno-results-post-pics-video.html With the stock throttle body the horsepower curve "flat lined" from 5,500 rpm up. In other words, it made as much horsepower at 5,500 rpm as it did at 6,500 rpm. Later, after the car was cammed the flat lining at 5,500 rpm remained until I went to a 90mm throttle body. The 90mm throttle body relieved the flat lining and gained about 12 rwhp. However, since that result came with a different cam it may, or may not, be indicative of what more air flow from the throttle body will do for a stock engine with some other bolt on mods.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.