Problem with DMH low-profile electric cutouts
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Problem with DMH low-profile electric cutouts in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Hey everyone! I've had DMH "low profile" electric exhaust cutouts installed on my V for over 3 years now (probably ...
    perfect is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS-V Platinum

Problem with DMH low-profile electric cutouts

Hey everyone!

I've had DMH "low profile" electric exhaust cutouts installed on my V for over 3 years now (probably 25k miles since installation). They have absolutely been my favorite mod that I've done to the car (in combination with my headers and cat-deletes). Smiles/$$$ - the cutouts are the best investment I have ever made.

Unfortunately, unless I'm intentionally opening the cutouts (which I do a lot for obvious reasons), the cutouts don't seem to close very well anymore. As soon as I take my finger off of the [momentary] switch to close them the cutouts will immediately re-open a bit and make the car sound like a clapped out old camaro or something. I know that DMH has a poor reputation for service to customers (4 year warranty is only good if you can actually get a hold of him) - so I'm hoping some folks in the V community can help me fix this issue. I really don't want to remove the cutouts for good and cap the flanges...they are just too much fun. But I'm getting sick of pulling up next to cars and feeling like I'm driving a busted POS rather than the brute Cadillac that this is supposed to be.

So here is my problem. The butterfly "gate" doesn't seem to want to stay shut in the "closed" position. The butterfly gate is mounted to a spindle that sticks is inserted into the gate flange. One end of the spindle stops at the end of the flange, the other end of the spindle attached to a coupler that is part of the motor unit. I can very clearly see that (even with the cutouts in the "closed" position) that the spindle has some play in the valve flange. It's not much play, but enough that I think it clearly demonstrates that the powerful air pressure of the exhaust can force the valve to crack open and create the rattle.

I've posted two videos that explain what I'm talking about:

I've seen a few threads over the last few years where people have mentioned that there are some screws that work there way out (in the motor housing) and can be drilled out and replaced. I'm not really convinced that the motor housing is causing the problem - unless the motor is supposed to be providing some additional tension that forces the valve to seat closed and stay closed. I haven't drilled out the rivets to investigate because I wanted to get some input from the forums on if my loose spindle/flange is causing the rattle. If tension is required to seat the valve, then I guess I have no choice but to drill the rivets out and try to fix them.

http://www.lxforums.com/board/showth...eak-rattle-fix
    http://ls1tech.com/forums/generation...-pictures.html

Thanks for your input!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

perfect is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS-V Platinum

Re: Problem with DMH low-profile electric cutouts

Well I drilled out the rivets on one and tightened down the two motor screws) the only two screws that I could really see. I re-aligned everything and bolted it all back together. I couldn't push the butterfly gate backwards and forwards like I did in the 2nd video...so I was optimistic that the results would be good.

Of course, as soon as I started it up the exhaust forced the gate to open slightly and I'm back to square one...still leaking/rattling. The gate just has too much play in it to stay in one place. I wonder if I could shim in tight to stop the back-n-forth play that the gate spindle has against the gate flange.

odla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac platinum 04 & Blk 05 cts-v

Re: Problem with DMH low-profile electric cutouts

Did you fix this?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.