Cadillac Owners Forum banner
10K views 45 replies 29 participants last post by  Harley Guy 
#1 · (Edited)
Volant Performance Cool Air Intake for the CTS-V.

Initial impressions:

- The best MAF to filter connection in the aftermarket to date.
- Installation fairly straight forward even without instructions (Volant doesn't have them done yet).
- Trickiest part was assembling the MAF to the filter's venturi (Only goes on one way, blind holes and I'm getting old & denying the need for bifocals ;)).
- Zero whistle.
- Mostly stainless steel hardware.
- Wish it had FFV style clamps.
- No hot air-engine compartment leak paths.
- Filter is smaller than I'm used to which may necessitate more frequent cleaning than the "mongo" version I used to have.
- Not a big fan of fake (or real, it's not real) carbon fiber (too rice).
- Interior surfaces of the tube and box have a smooth "polished" finish.
- Positioning of the MAF stretches the wires more than I'd like (Volant - rotate the MAF holes CCW 90 - 120 degrees...)

Haven't had a chance to dial in the new calibration for it so I'm still running the LPE+FFV hybrid version without any major issues.

Volant FAQ:

Question: Where did you get it? Answer: It fell off of a truck. ;)
Question: How much does it cost? Answer: More than $100, less than $500. :hmm:
Question: When can I buy one? Answer: My guess, and it purely a guess is within the next 30 days.
Question: How does it compare performance wise to the others? Answer: TBD but expections are high.
Question: Can I make a Volant-FFV hybrid? Answer: Sure, but let's wait and see the numbers first...
Question: What about ________? Answer: You now know as much as I; only time can answer your question.

See less See more
#3 ·
Well, it certainly looks far more finished and more appropriate on this car than the LPE CAI. Which I just bought...and just had my PCM tuned for...

Oh well, that's why this is a hobby, it's always changing.

I was worried about the inlet to the box after looking at the V6 version. However, it certainly seems to have more than adequate intake area, and in the right places.

I don't like the MAF wire stretch just from the look of it. But that's a minor issue. The real issue is, how much can I get for my LPE CAI on eBay in six weeks, and how soon can Rick slot me for reflash...

#10 ·
StealthV said:
http://www.volantperformance.com/
- Positioning of the MAF stretches the wires more than I'd like (Volant - rotate the MAF holes CCW 90 - 120 degrees...)
Too bad they didn't fix this for the V. The Volant for my tiny 3.2L motor actually rotates the MAF rearward (CCW) about 30 degrees. My MAF connector used to face directly up, and now faces up and rearward.

My biggest beef is that the airbox simply sits in place. The factory CTS airbox is held in by three bolts.

#11 ·
I just got off the phone with Volant. I ordered one through one of there dealers and he had to call the company to get price and avaibilaty. They said it should ship in two weeks and I would be one of the first to get one (other than the one StelthV found laying beside the road). As soon as it arrives I will take it to DTE so we will have some real before and after Dyno numbers.

#12 ·
Rick,

It all looks good, but you're missin' a Maggie, son.

#14 ·
CTSVLS6 said:
I just got off the phone with Volant. I ordered one through one of there dealers and he had to call the company to get price and avaibilaty. They said it should ship in two weeks and I would be one of the first to get one (other than the one StelthV found laying beside the road). As soon as it arrives I will take it to DTE so we will have some real before and after Dyno numbers.
Can you share the price?

#19 ·
The Volant box is retained by two zinc coated hex head cap screws to the front crossmember. The 10-mm wrench one bought in the "GearWrench" set for the header install will come in handy! :highfive:

One additional note - the Volant box does not seal tightly against the fender side air inlet.

#23 ·
Update - noticed a whistle today with the Volant but only in a very narrow range. The only places that I can think of for a cause would be the screw-on airbox cover or the the fender side air inlet. Perhaps the side inlet is also what causing the LPE whistle... :hmm:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.