Cadillac Owners Forum banner
10K views 45 replies 29 participants last post by  Harley Guy 
#1 · (Edited)
Volant Performance Cool Air Intake for the CTS-V.

Initial impressions:

- The best MAF to filter connection in the aftermarket to date.
- Installation fairly straight forward even without instructions (Volant doesn't have them done yet).
- Trickiest part was assembling the MAF to the filter's venturi (Only goes on one way, blind holes and I'm getting old & denying the need for bifocals ;)).
- Zero whistle.
- Mostly stainless steel hardware.
- Wish it had FFV style clamps.
- No hot air-engine compartment leak paths.
- Filter is smaller than I'm used to which may necessitate more frequent cleaning than the "mongo" version I used to have.
- Not a big fan of fake (or real, it's not real) carbon fiber (too rice).
- Interior surfaces of the tube and box have a smooth "polished" finish.
- Positioning of the MAF stretches the wires more than I'd like (Volant - rotate the MAF holes CCW 90 - 120 degrees...)

Haven't had a chance to dial in the new calibration for it so I'm still running the LPE+FFV hybrid version without any major issues.

Volant FAQ:

Question: Where did you get it? Answer: It fell off of a truck. ;)
Question: How much does it cost? Answer: More than $100, less than $500. :hmm:
Question: When can I buy one? Answer: My guess, and it purely a guess is within the next 30 days.
Question: How does it compare performance wise to the others? Answer: TBD but expections are high.
Question: Can I make a Volant-FFV hybrid? Answer: Sure, but let's wait and see the numbers first...
Question: What about ________? Answer: You now know as much as I; only time can answer your question.

See less See more
#28 ·
StealthV said:
Probably - just thinking out loud trying to find the end-all solution for the LPE whistlers. :confused:
Stealth,what is the part number of this peice?

As far as whistle, any thing that flows air has it. Just a question of hitting a frequency that we can hear or dont like. Some geometry has to be changed or a leak found to retune the box. Easier said than done. Im sure you would find it if you fooled with it long enough. I would find it then get a fee for the fix..
Actually I have an ultrasonic leak detector at work if you want to borrow it.

#29 ·
Looks good, to me just another option. Options are nice!:thumbsup:
Whistling occurs at all speeds for me, with the LPE/FFV. It's any gear between 2000 and 2250 rpms. That's it!
It's so faint( maybe droned out by very free flowing exhaust note) it's liveable.
Besides, the power gain and nasty sound at WOT is very nice!:sneaky:

Nice work Volant! A nice option for V owners!
It's a FFV/LPE in a sealed off box, the air space in the LPE area is greater, and looks like it will let in more air as speeds increase.

I think my combo is tops, and already paid for...
I would like to see the before and after dyno #'s.:hmm:

#30 ·
Beautiful piece, that volant. I like the incorporation of the tube and box.
For all those that have the LPE/Moore/ect, there really isn't much power to be had in an intake once a cone is used...certainly not enough to justify the cost. What are we talking about...5hp?
The real way to make the box-type induction kits most efficient, in my opinion, would be to route the driver's brake-duct up an into the bottom of the box. That would create a true-ram-air box. For those that do not do track-days, the brake ducts are less than necessary and would be put to good use feeding the intake. Again, just my opinion...I haven't really looked to see if it would logistically work, but in theory would be most effective of the options currently available.
Ve good,
ace996

G
#33 ·
If anybody has the factory part from the intake to the whatever. you know the long black tube. I need one as I was messing around with mine to see if I could mod it myself and I did not put it back the correct way. It was rubbing against the pully and now has a hole in it. Note to self stick to selling mortgages leave your car alone!
If you have one email me at davin_bouchillon@yahoo.com

#35 ·
TXSilverV said:
If anybody has the factory part from the intake to the whatever. you know the long black tube. I need one as I was messing around with mine to see if I could mod it myself and I did not put it back the correct way. It was rubbing against the pully and now has a hole in it. Note to self stick to selling mortgages leave your car alone!
If you have one email me at davin_bouchillon@yahoo.com
That's what happened to my maf wire connected to the car. It's damaged but still works. I told my dealer about it. They said no because I had the Stealth V covers installed therefore i'm "modifying" my car. We bought several cars from them and they don't want to fix that wire. Maybe I should stop buying cars from them.

#38 ·
Volant just made me a special prototype for my V and to fit with the maggie.. I have too modify it some when it gets here tomorrow.. but once i get it on i will show you guys ok.. i will do a piece on it... mine is different, it is like 2 units combined piping for a vortech and other things for a maggie.. but it will loook beatiful. give me 2 days to get her on..

later blitzer

#46 ·
StealthV said:
The Volant box is retained by two zinc coated hex head cap screws to the front crossmember. The 10-mm wrench one bought in the "GearWrench" set for the header install will come in handy! :highfive:

One additional note - the Volant box does not seal tightly against the fender side air inlet.
Rick,
I tried to put in my Volant CAI this weekend and could not see how the box was supposed to be fastened in the car. The parts sheet that comes with it (not instructions in my book) says something about fastening it to the radiator core support, but I could not figure out how that works. Any help you could offer would be appreciated.... Never mind I just saw your answer on the other Volant thread. Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.