Cadillac Owners Forum banner
6K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  CVP33 
#1 ·
Well I couldn't stand the whistle anymore. It was too much today. So I just ripped the Lingenfelter CAI out of the car. I'm back to stock minus the snorkel.

A couple of days ago I tried taping things, moving things, rotating things. The whistle never went away. I have no idea where it was coming from. I want to put it back in, but I'll have to figure something out.

#2 ·
That is weird, I really don't hear any with my car. Maybe real faint if I am really trying to hear it, but not really at all..:hmm:
Good luck trying to figure it out, hope you get it back on soon..

Bill

#5 ·
BliTzer said:
Ames, how far down is your hood adjustment? can you go any tighter?
I just took a look. It could go down tighter and not mess with the hood/fender lines. I didn't think to look at that, the hood liner has a pretty good indentation from being pressed on. Maybe it needs a little more pressure. It's a pretty quick switch I might try it again this weekend.

#7 ·
I haven't had ANY problems with mine...does the whistle sound anything like the whistle you get from a throttle body spacer? maybe there is a bur on one of the parts that needs to be deburred. I've heard if the air is coming in at a high enough force, a small bur could cause a whistle.

#10 ·
I have the More box with the oval K&N Filter(RF-1034 I believe) and I absolutely do not hear any drone whatsoever. From the pictures ive seen it looks like the More box seals better than the LPE. Both boxes are VERY similar so I highly doubt that there is very much difference if any at all in performance.

#11 ·
Well...I do know it isn't the MAF screen causing the whistle. :lildevil:

Have you tried turning the filter? Seems the people that have them horizontal don't have a whistle. At an angle, the "top" of the filter is near the hood liner and could be a whistle area.

#13 ·
CTSVONFIRE said:
What you don't like your car sucking air. I think it sounds good. I have the more performance CAI and a bbk 80mm throttle body. Some think i got a supercharger with the sound it makes.
I'd be fine with a sucking sound. My Silvy SS had a sucking sound with the Volant kit it had. Before I got an intake box on my GTO it had a really loud sucking sound; that was fine also. The V has a whistle. Very high pitched, well whistle. You'd think a bearing went out or the belt was completely shot. It's not cool.

#16 ·
willsctsv said:
I have a slight whistle only at part throttle. Like 2k rpm area. You have to be listening for it to hear it.
I rarely drive this beast at part throttle, so, problem solved!
That's exactly the senerio when mine is the worst. I daily drive my V so I do that all the time.

#18 ·
Went down 1/4 mile with a GTO last night and from inside my car I could hear a whistle coming from his while at idle. It was from his K&N CAI. It had a similar cone style filter to what I have seen posted here on the V.It wouldn't bother me at the track, but I wouldn't want to hear it all the time.

#19 ·
evil 8 said:
Its the throttle body at low to partial throttle. You don't hear it with the factory box because it is closed up very tightly.
Any known fixes, like port it?

NoSlackCadillac said:
Went down 1/4 mile with a GTO last night and from inside my car I could hear a whistle coming from his while at idle. It was from his K&N CAI. It had a similar cone style filter to what I have seen posted here on the V.It wouldn't bother me at the track, but I wouldn't want to hear it all the time.
My GTO doesn't have any noise, but I have an insulated aluminum enclosure.

I guess the enclosure might be key.

#21 ·
Mine doesn't whistle at all, under any circumstances. I wonder if there's a correlation with which style of radiator cover you have. My '05 had the one with the clips, (which means you don't use the third short piece of weather stripping).

Pics of install:

http://www.novustechnic.com/ctsv/lpecai/

#24 ·
FWIW, the whistle is very likely not curable... in most CAI implementations, by installing the new unit in place of a nice heavy airbox exposes this sound which naturally occurs in the intake. The sound you are hearing is the air whistling over the butterfly in the intake pipe. When the butterfly is at a specific angle, it is just right to whistle over the fly. Open further or close it a little and the whistle stops. In my G35 that spot is roughly 1/3 throttle position (or 35-40 MPH cruising in 3rd.).

Hope this helps you all stop the witch hunt.

P

#26 ·
Peet said:
FWIW, the whistle is very likely not curable... in most CAI implementations, by installing the new unit in place of a nice heavy airbox exposes this sound which naturally occurs in the intake. The sound you are hearing is the air whistling over the butterfly in the intake pipe. When the butterfly is at a specific angle, it is just right to whistle over the fly. Open further or close it a little and the whistle stops. In my G35 that spot is roughly 1/3 throttle position (or 35-40 MPH cruising in 3rd.).

Hope this helps you all stop the witch hunt.

P
There's something else at work here. Mine and many others don't whistle. Yes, I can hear it gulping for air at high RPM's but no whistle. Something else is causing this. I also did not remove the rubber snorkle as I saw no advantage to having that removed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.