Removed TPMS and now I have CEL
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DMM
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Removed TPMS and now I have CEL in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; So I bought a set of low miles stock V1 wheels off a guy that have been sitting since 08 ...
    ctsv247 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray V

Removed TPMS and now I have CEL

So I bought a set of low miles stock V1 wheels off a guy that have been sitting since 08 and off course they don't have any tire pressure sensors in them.

Because only one of mine was still working (05, 170k) and because to me its not worth spending $5 fixing these stupid things, I had my tire guy stick plain old valve stems in my nice shiny new wheels and now, 24 hours later, I get a check engine light.....I just bought the car, I'm working 70 hours a week right now and I haven't taken the time to check what code its throwing and honestly, I don't even know how to on this car.

I've done a search and couldn't find anything conclusive...do you have to run these freakin things to keep the car happy or is getting a CEL just 24 hours after taking the sensors off the car a coincidence??? BTW, there is still one sensor in the trunk on my new spare but the car doesn't recognize it so I haven't bothered doing the TPMS relearn procedure.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: Removed TPMS and now I have CEL

Without the TPMS in place you presumably have set diagnostic trouble code numbers C0750, C0755, C0760, and C0765 - one of each corner.

cts-v avino is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V

I think it is a coincidence. I have been running without sensors for over a year. It even picks some up in my shed sometimes but I have never seen a code just dash marks where there is usually pressure. You should be able to go to autozone and they should be able to check the codes for free.

odla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac platinum 04 & Blk 05 cts-v

Maybe the sensor in the trunk even though it is not being read could be causing you a problem. Take any battery out of them to insure they still dont send any signal.

Thanks for the replies! AutoZone code checking sounds like a good place to start.

Darkman and Avino, what years are your cars??

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

I happen to have an 2005 V, but I am not speaking from personal experience as I still run TPMS sensors, I was merely reporting what the 2005 Service Manual indicates.

Thanks Darkman!

Fuel mileage and driveability haven't changed so some sort of informative code would hopefully make sense.

DMM
    DMM is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V

Not related at all.
    carlson_mn likes this.

CEL went out today....i'll go by the zone and see what's stored in it ASAP...

Thanks for the help.

CoSteve is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Did you fill up with gas? I bet the CEL was a loose gas cap or something similar and it coming on with the tires was completely coincidental.

Turns out I had a u1016 and a p0128 so apparently it wasn't related to the missing sensors. The light went off, haven't seen it since so I'll investigate further and keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks for the replies!

So it seems the u1016 is a temporary loss of communication somewhere in the system and it seems to be aggravated by rainy weather, which it was doing when I first saw the CEL. On another forum, a (the only) V owner reporting this code discovered that their the PCM access door was missing so I guess it's finally time to climb under the old girl and see what up.

The p0128 is the coolant temp sensor so I guess come major maintenance time (a few months down the road) it might make sense to toss one on it and check/add engine grounds while I'm at it.....

BTW..the car has finally stopped displaying the annoying tire pressure alert so I'm going to assume it's figured out that the sensors are gone....

After removing the TPMS from my spare, the car has finally stopped looking for the sensors and has stopped giving me warnings and complaining about having flat tires. The display simply has dotted lines where the pressure readings used to be but I'm glad the car figured out that I own an air gauge.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.