Muffler Delete Caused Rough Idle
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Muffler Delete Caused Rough Idle in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Hi all, new guy with a problem here. Wished my first post wasn't under these circumstances. My history is I ...
    CharmCityV is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 cts-v

Muffler Delete Caused Rough Idle

Hi all, new guy with a problem here. Wished my first post wasn't under these circumstances. My history is I bought a 68k mile 05' V in November and driven it maybe 15 times since. The Polar Vortex in Pittsburgh is to blame for that one. Car is stock except for the muffler delete I had done at a local shop about 3 hours ago. Didn't mess with Cats/Res or anything else, just mufflers cut off and pipes/tips welded in and that's it. (Sounds mean btw) Before the car went in it idled dead on 750 rpm with no waiver. Driving home after the muffler delete sitting in rush hour traffic, the idle was rough and the car felt bogged down on acceleration. Idle now fluctuates between 600-900. Any ideas what would cause this? My apologies if I missed a old thread on this, but I came up with nothing on my search. Thanks all!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: Muffler Delete Caused Rough Idle

I would just drive for several heat cycles to see if the computer adjusts.

Thanks darkman, I'll give it a go. Hopefully the snow we are getting tomorrow will be gone by the weekend.
    Side note: Upon completion of the muffler delete the guy who did install pulled my down from the lift and proceeded to take off down the road...he caught second. My jaw dropped and I went off on the shop owner. 5 mins later he returned, the owner apologized and I left. Hoping its the computer and he didn't jack anything up.

fweasel is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

Could welding on the exhaust damage an O2 sensor electronically?

odla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac platinum 04 & Blk 05 cts-v

I was wondering the same fweasel.

Post up the name of the shop so others may know to go or NOT go to this place.

philistine is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Black 2004 CTS-V

I had the muffler delete before I went with SW - had zero issues except the unbearable drone. That reminds me, I'm going to cut up the stock exhaust for scrap and toss it in the junkyard unless someone wants to grab it - junking it in April, p-up only.

2007-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

I have the muffler delete as well on mine that the previous owner did. Honestly it has never held a rock steady idle, but doesn't sway that much...I would say a 50-75 rpm sway is normal on mine.

Yeah the drone is prettty bad, but over 2500 it is a beast. I pulled into my garage yesterday and all my neighbors were out working on their yards as it was the nicest day of the year. I got about 7 stink-eyes....should be an interesting summer.

Odla, I don't think I want to call out the shop until I figure out what happend. Thanks for the thread darkman, the pit in my stomach worsened but good to know. I am taking the car this weekend to Advanced to see if they can pull any codes. BTW-Does anyone know of a shop around the Pittsburgh area? I have searched The Google numerous times and haven't really come up with much. My master plan was to get the delete, CAI, bushing package from CS, PISNUOFF shifter(just ordered yesterday morning) all istalled then drive to RPM in Deleware for a tune and be Done/Content for the year. Things are not starting out well, as clearly phase 1 of my plan was a Fail. Plus I dont have anywhere to intsall the shifter/bushings and the Good Lord knows I am not going to attempt this myself. RPM will do the install but they have to keep my car overnight in Deleware. From the convenience standpoint I would just like to show up at RPM for the tune..and now with this idle problem, I need a local shop to call when needed. Western PA/Pittsburgh members, any advice is appreciated!

philistine is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Black 2004 CTS-V

IF you want a good shop in the general area, contact OSTdyno and talk with Mike Dobins. He has done remote tunes for me and has flown into my area for tuning monsters. He specializes in tuning but does just about everything and is a legend in the Mopar world.

RyRidesMotoX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Raven, StainlessWorks header back exhaust
    The shifter isn't bad, you can easily do it on your own with basic tools. The hardest part is getting the knob to come off without killing yourself lol.

I know before I weld on something I yank the computer, a welder puts a lot of energy through a car. Its supposed to go to a specific area (between the torch and the ground) but I don't trust that really. Hopefully you figure it out easy enough. When you go to get it tuned, if you haven't figured it out by then, bring a new ECU. They can do a quick VATS change and load a stock file to see if that was indeed the culprit.

ctsv247 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray V

Never weld on a motorcycle frame without disconnecting ECU. Known and proven way to fry electronics on a small platform.
    odthetruth likes this.

Thanks Philistine, good stuff. Keep the local shops coming since OST only does tuning. I found a thread on Pittsburgh shops but it wasn't too helpful...at all. Ry, I'm gonna be honest with you here. I own 11 tools and 3 are for the garden lol. I worked/lived in NJ/NYC for the last 8 years and didn't own/need a car until I moved to Pittsburgh for work.

I just did a search on CTS-V ECU in case I need to go this route and came up with part #12589462.

http://www.amazon.com/Used-Engine-Co.../dp/B007MSJKCC

Can I get a verification this is V specific since there were a few other CTS ECU part numbers in the mix. I'm sure it doesn't help i'm at work and half the sites are blocked.

Thanks for all the input, really appreciating it.

That part number 12589462 is what is on my spare PCM, which the original on my car. (It also shows a SER number, presumably the software version at the time of manufacture of 12589161.) I also find that a new part number of 12602801.

JFensty is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 04 Blk Cts-V
    If you have to get a new ECM, you may want to look into a wait4me mail order tune. From what I have read you get a second stock ecm as well as the one with the tune. This may be beat bang for the buck especially since you only have muffler delete and a CAI.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.