Muffler Delete Caused Rough Idle - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Muffler Delete Caused Rough Idle in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by CharmCityV Ry, I'm gonna be honest with you here. I own 11 tools and 3 are for ...
    RyRidesMotoX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Raven, StainlessWorks header back exhaust
    Quote Originally Posted by CharmCityV View Post
    Ry, I'm gonna be honest with you here. I own 11 tools and 3 are for the garden lol.
    Hey man, no judgments here. That's people come on forums. A little friendly (hopefully) advice. And I'd second getting a mail-order tune from waitforme you'd get performance and it would be an easy way to see if the issue was a computer... Sometimes it's easier to justify a repair to the wife than it is to justify an upgrade. And if you can knock out 2 birds with one stone that's even better

philistine is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Black 2004 CTS-V

Re: Muffler Delete Caused Rough Idle

Quote Originally Posted by CharmCityV View Post
    Thanks Philistine, good stuff. Keep the local shops coming since OST only does tuning. I found a thread on Pittsburgh shops but it wasn't too helpful...at all. Ry, I'm gonna be honest with you here. I own 11 tools and 3 are for the garden lol. I worked/lived in NJ/NYC for the last 8 years and didn't own/need a car until I moved to Pittsburgh for work.

I just did a search on CTS-V ECU in case I need to go this route and came up with part #12589462.

http://www.amazon.com/Used-Engine-Co.../dp/B007MSJKCC

Can I get a verification this is V specific since there were a few other CTS ECU part numbers in the mix. I'm sure it doesn't help i'm at work and half the sites are blocked.

Thanks for all the input, really appreciating it.
    You can also try Evans Tuning - they are a full service shop. They are located in Bethel, PA. They do amazing work and tuning however, they specialize with imports. I drive import and domestics and generally do not have a preference where my car goes as long as it is a speedshop that knows what they are doing.

CharmCityV is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 cts-v

All the information has been a Big Help everyone. My ECU issues are working themself out as you suggested darkman. Idle issues drastically reduced after 3 or 4 cold starts. Ran across another problem, she sipped a quarter tank of gas in under 25 miles while driving like Mrs. Daisy. Took it to a tuner/mechanic with a lot of LSx experience named Fran at FP Performance in Export, Pa Saturday. He scanned it and found a silent check-engine code for a bad coolant temp sensor that Pep boys didn’t pull with their scanner. He said that causes comp to think it is always in startup mode and dumps more fuel. (FYI it was about a 10% constant fuel increase at idle) Got replacement sensor at Advanced and will attempt to install it when I have time this week. Yeah that's right-I bought a 3/4 inch wrench lol. Gotta start somewhere. I read in some threads that I don't need to torque it to a specific lb., just until it feels tight right? There were mixed answers on this one (over torqued/snapped sensors.

At any rate the V still feels a bit bogged down at lower RPMs, hopefully a tune will solve that issue.

Thanks again guys.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

The book says to coat the sensor threads with a GM thread sealant, which is the functional equivalent of plumber's pipe dope or Teflon tape, and torque to 15 foot pounds, which to me is snug but not much more.

Aaron Thomas is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

If it is only the idle fluctuations, try doing an idle relearn http://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-c...urge-idle.html . Might not fix it, but easy and worth a shot. I would then try and drive it a bit and see if the computer "fixes" the idle. Seems to me that leaving batteries unhooked for a while can have the same effect and the car has to re-learn the idle.

Becker is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 black with tan V
    Teflon on my coolant temp sensor was gone when I came back to it 6 months later. I bought a real ac delco one that came with a brass crush gasket I believe. Snugged up and no leaks

I went through temp sensors as well and honestly never noticed gas consumption change. But hey that was my car. Good luck

CharmCityV is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 cts-v

That happened a few weeks ago to me, battery was dead and once it started the Coolent temp wouldn't read on the gauge. Read on here that it needs a few cold starts and sure enough it "re-learned" and came back and read normal a few starts later. Same with my idle, as it's almost back to normal. Though... I don't think the fact that we pulled the Coolent Temp sensor code has anything to do with the sensor not reading on the gauges after a dead battery. That mess (gas consumption/idle) started after the delete. Becker, luckily I did get the AC Delco with the brass gasket and the GM sealant darkman suggested so I should be good to go on that front. I will check that out Aaron, good stuff.

heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06

If you clear a code, it resets your fuel trims.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.