Ls6 build & questions
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Ls6 build & questions in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; -05 cts v ls6- Objective: to rebuild my blown "4 broken pistons" ls6 with a bit more power. Nothing to ...
    05 CTS-V LURKN is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 cadillac cts - v LS6
    -05 cts v ls6-
    Objective: to rebuild my blown "4 broken pistons" ls6 with a bit more power. Nothing to crazy, it's still gonna be my daily on pump gas "91".
    It is completely stock.

Now I was thinking 10:7:00 high compression drop-ins by WISCO?
    PRICE $570.00 RINGS-$150.00

Question:
    1-Would this work with stock fuel pump/injectors/ignition/ etc?

2- can someone double check if I have the right specs for our ls6 engins.
    Bore - 3.9xx
    Stroke - 3.6xx
    Compression - 10:5:xx
    Cubic inch- ???

3- is there any other alternative pistons
    I'm that price range?

Pls help, I want to get different opinions before I start buying.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

2007V is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V, maggie

Re: Ls6 build & questions

Look through the options at http://www.texas-speed.com/ for starters. I assume you will bore it .005 over stock?

Naf
    Naf is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    U want to save a little money then get 10.5:1 pistons port ur heads and keep the cc to 64cc on the heads.

Forged pistons and connectin rods but stock crank. U will have enough protection to go north of 500hp and even put on a supercharger in the future.

This way you keep the internals pretty much the same but ur strengthenin them for more upgrades tomorro.

If u want a noce stockish idle with great power then lpe gt11 cam with stock rockers will be ur perfect cam.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

GENERAL ENGINE DATA

Engine Type V8
    Displacement 5.7 liters (5665 cc) (346 CID)
    RPO LS6
    VIN S
    Bore 99.0-99.018 mm (3.897-3.898 in)
    Stroke 92.0 mm (3.622 in)
    Compression Ratio 10.5:1
    Firing Order 1-8-7-2-6-5-4-3
    Spark Plug Gap 1.016 mm (0.04 in)

Nice

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Naf View Post
    U want to save a little money then get 10.5:1 pistons port ur heads and keep the cc to 64cc on the heads.

Forged pistons and connectin rods but stock crank. U will have enough protection to go north of 500hp and even put on a supercharger in the future.

This way you keep the internals pretty much the same but ur strengthenin them for more upgrades tomorro.

If u want a noce stockish idle with great power then lpe gt11 cam with stock rockers will be ur perfect cam.

Nice , sounds like a good game plan...
    So let me just clarify it for myself..

Pistons -stock spec but forged
    Rods - stock spec but forged
    Heads- port but keep at 64cc
    Cam- LPE GT11...

Would I feel the power difference with a cam and head port?...estimating hp gain?

thanks.

Naf
    You would be around the 450/450 mark And yes u would feel the increase in power. Dont forget the ls7 lifters and bearin upgrade for the stock rockers

Try and get bosch injectors and not the crappy ford ones, i think 42lb injectors. The wider spray helps maximizes the atomization...

1 3/4 primaries with a 2.5/3.0" catback. 2.5" more torque, 3.0" more hp...its ur choice...

You would be around the 450/450 mark And yes u would feel the increase in power. Dont forget the ls7 lifters and bearin upgrade for the stock rockers

Try and get bosch injectors and not the crappy ford ones, i think 42lb injectors. The wider spray helps maximizes the atomization...

1 3/4 primaries with a 2.5/3.0" catback. 2.5" more torque, 3.0" more hp...its ur choice...

Are the ls7 lifters a must?...or can I run that cam with the stock lifters and rocker bearing?

Quote Originally Posted by 05 CTS-V LURKN View Post
    Are the ls7 lifters a must?...or can I run that cam with the stock lifters and rocker bearing?
    How many miles on your current lifters? That cam has lifts of 0.631/0.644 inch. The stock rocker geometry is designed for lifts of 0.550, and is marginal at lifts of 0.600 inch. The stock rockers will scrub the valve tips at those lifts. Additionally, Lingenfelter recommends valve springs with open spring pressures in the 400-425 range. If you install valve springs that exceed that recommendation it will worsen the effect of the valve tip scrubbing. If you want to run stock rockers, and you are going to have the heads ported, I would let either Advanced Induction or Total Engine Airflow port the heads and spec a cam that will work with the heads and your stock rockers.

Naf
    Darkman, ur right about the springs but the lift is nuttin compared to the gt9 cam...the stock rockers will be fine...

Darkman, ur right about the springs but the lift is nuttin compared to the gt9 cam...the stock rockers will be fine...
    How would you know - you ran that cam with Yella Terra roller rockers. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...l#post10922362

Naf
    My friends went cheap and ran them with stock rockers and lpe also recommends the stock rockers with their cams...

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    How many miles on your current lifters? That cam has lifts of 0.631/0.644 inch. The stock rocker geometry is designed for lifts of 0.550, and is marginal at lifts of 0.600 inch. The stock rockers will scrub the valve tips at those lifts. Additionally, Lingenfelter recommends valve springs with open spring pressures in the 400-425 range. If you install valve springs that exceed that recommendation it will worsen the effect of the valve tip scrubbing. If you want to run stock rockers, and you are going to have the heads ported, I would let either Advanced Induction or Total Engine Airflow port the heads and spec a cam that will work with the heads and your stock rockers.
    Oohhh, Ok I see...
    But...Honesty I don't wanna go through all the work and parts...
    I mean thanks a lot for the info, but I just wanna get the car running hah and a bit stanger....
    So would the 10:7 compresión pistons no be a good idea if I'm just gonna throw them in there and start it ?
    Do you know of any simple drop in piston brands ?

Quote Originally Posted by 05 CTS-V LURKN View Post
    Oohhh, Ok I see...
    But...Honesty I don't wanna go through all the work and parts...
    I mean thanks a lot for the info, but I just wanna get the car running hah and a bit stanger....
    So would the 10:7 compresión pistons no be a good idea if I'm just gonna throw them in there and start it ?
    Do you know of any simple drop in piston brands ?
    Your original post provided very little detail - like: What broke in the motor and what did not? Why are replacing pistons?

RyRidesMotoX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Raven, StainlessWorks header back exhaust
    Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    Your original post provided very little detail - like: What broke in the motor and what did not? Why are replacing pistons?
    I think in his first post... He meant blown as in blower... I read it the same way you did though... As in blew the motor.

Op- if you are going to rebuild the lower end have you checked into a Callie's rotating assembly? They come with a Callies compstar, rods and diamond pistons. Or maybe eagle's rotating assembly. I've kinda narrowed it to those two for my next motor.

Quote Originally Posted by RyRidesMotoX View Post
    I think in his first post... He meant blown as in blower... I read it the same way you did though... As in blew the motor.
    Yeah, I noted the ambiguity but, decided blower guys don't usually ask about increasing compression......

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.