Lifters....yeah, its that time I think.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Lifters....yeah, its that time I think. in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Well after going back and forth for a while I am pretty sure I will need lifter(s) here shortly. I ...
    2007-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

Lifters....yeah, its that time I think.

Well after going back and forth for a while I am pretty sure I will need lifter(s) here shortly. I am just going to do and stock LS7 replacements w/ new tray(s).

With that said is there a walkthrough I haven't come across or a document (Calling Darkman....lol) that will assist with any LS specific items to keep in mind? I have the basic ideas but never been "into" an LS this deep before.

Plus I believe the more info the better.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: Lifters....yeah, its that time I think.

I would start with a visit to LS1Howto(dot)com.

nikdsctsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): none

Time for a cam and springs as well then!

GDPossehl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V

They're actually not so bad--just kinda buried. I would definitely do valve springs while I was in there too.

A cam is at least twice the work though--not exactly a "while you're in there" mod.

I am not sure why you "need" lifters, but if you do you ought to do valve springs. Given the time and effort to remove and replace the heads, I would also consider letting Advanced Induction or Total Engine Airflow "fix" the heads. Doing a cam, however, does involve a lot of extra work, tools, and parts.
    odthetruth likes this.

nikdsctsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): none

Huh? Doing a cam requires a puller for the balancer and that's about it? What else is difficult about that? Removing the cover,oil pump, timing chain, cam? After the balancer is off those things take roughly 20 minutes. You can rent the tool to re install the balancer, but if your lifters are bad its about time to change the balancer as well. Welcome to tumbling down the rabbit hole. lol between "fixing the heads" and my suggestions you are back another 2500$ easy. Good luck OP!

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    I am not sure why you "need" lifters, but if you do you ought to do valve springs. Given the time and effort to remove and replace the heads, I would also consider letting Advanced Induction or Total Engine Airflow "fix" the heads. Doing a cam, however, does involve a lot of extra work, tools, and parts.
    I have a very noticeable "tick" that is more than the normal LS2 noise. It's severity moves in and out but it always there (like after being in traffic and oil at 190-195 it is about 20% worse but after a long 100+ miles sustained run at interstate speed it is about 20% better for a bit....then repeat).

I am going to move up to 10/30 with my next oil change and probably run a cleaner through it first as well. I posted a video a bit ago when I first noticed it...then again my lady says I am being overly sensitive. If you would like me to take another video I am happy to do so. Some have said injector but I am not familiar enough to properly diagnose and would rather not spend money to have someone say "well could be injectors or lifters"....

I am open to suggestions...comments....etc..

How many miles on the motor?

Almost 76k.

I will say that the other fluids in this car all looked horrible (and have since been changed) so I can say with a good deal of certainty that this car was not maintained properly, also when I bought it there was still a jiffy lube (or similar) sticker still on the window. Granted I got this car for a steal so can't complain but my guess is they probably didn't use the proper oil either. This is my thought behind doing one of the oil cleaners (AMSoil probably) before my next oil change, couldn't hurt.

I have owned for right at 12k miles and did an oil change almost immediately with Mobil1 5-30 as whole engine was clattery (cheap oil is my guess and showed 85% on the dash life, also looked clean but just noisy). After the initial oil change it made it much more quite to what I would call "normal" LS2s with similar mileage I have heard.

Approx. 3k miles into that change is when I first noticed a different sound, kept driving for another 1k miles and the normal noises were becoming louder (showed 55% life left on dash and still good color...maybe a little dark but not crazy), so went ahead and changed again with M1 5-30 and then repeat for the next oil change and the one I just did about 1k ago.

So now on the 4th change in 12k miles or so. I will say that the sewing machine noise does not get worse as the oil ages like that 1st round did, however the "other" noise (changes with revs but doesn't sound like a bearing or anything I've had happen to other non-LS engines) has stayed constant (with the above fluxuations) since 5-7k ago. It is present from cold start (45 degree oil temp) to as hot as I've had it (195 maybe 196) while in traffic...however may go hotter once summer rolls around here in Texas.

76k miles is early for lifter failure, but poor maintenance can contribute to that. If the tick is that of a fuel injector you might isolate the lifter with a stethoscope. You can also try disconnecting one injector at time, although this method can require you to clear the check engine light afterward. Finally, a noisy injector may show up in a fuel injector coil test - see attached. The other causes of a tick in the upper engine area fall mostly underneath the valve covers - rocker arm needle bearings, bent pushrod, broken valve spring, etc.

ctsv247 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray V

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    76k miles is early for lifter failure, but poor maintenance can contribute to that. If the tick is that of a fuel injector you might isolate the lifter with a stethoscope. You can also try disconnecting one injector at time, although this method can require you to clear the check engine light afterward. Finally, a noisy injector may show up in a fuel injector coil test - see attached. The other causes of a tick in the upper engine area fall mostly underneath the valve covers - rocker arm needle bearings, bent pushrod, broken valve spring, etc.
    good info!

hmm, ok. A friend of mine has a scan tool that can clear codes and whatnot so let me try this as well.

If I pull the valve covers is it recommended to replace that gasket before re-install or is it reusable? bent pushrod or broken spring seems pretty easy to spot but on the needle bearings are there any signs externally? I guess I could run it with the covers off and it would be pretty easy to spot one yelling I guess?

Guess I have some work to do. Any other items I need to check that you can think of?

The valve cover gasket is often reusable. If it falls off and gets stretched it can be pain to reinstall, but even then a few minutes in the freezer will re-shrink it. I would pick up a new set anyway - if I recall correctly they are not expensive. You may have to inspect each rocker to find a defective trunnion-needle bearing, but they often fall out into the valve spring area. (Some folks find them in their oil pan.)

As always, you are awesome!

GDPossehl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V

I don't think the rocker bearing failures are as common on the V's as they were in the earlier LS6 engines. However, when I replaced my springs, I also upgraded the bearings with Comp's Trunion Upgrade. I used a bench vice to press the old ones out and the new ones in. Now, even if they fail, the bearings will not scatter in the engine as they are caged bearings.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.